Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • For those of you who change your frames regularly(ish)
  • semuc
    Free Member

How do you decide what length to cut your fork steerer to?

I have a new frame and fork and am trying to decide what length to cut the steerer. Basically I don’t want to cut it too short in case i want to change the frame again in the future.

So, what do you do?

stevied
    Free Member

If you look at most 2nd hand forks they all tend to be around 200-210mm long steerer. That seems to be the ‘ballpark’ figure for most people so that should give you room for adjustment when you change frame using some spacers..

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

190-200 seems about the norm although you will have a lot of spacers on a short headtube so mebbe put some above your stem until it feels right

plyphon
    Free Member

Cut it to the correct height for your body.

The whole stem slammed thing should of never been a trend in the first place.

qtip

If you don’t want to risk it being short then you obviously have to put spacers above the stem. Looks ugly but that’s your only choice really. I’d check out the head tube measurements of a few frames and gauge whether or not your current frame has a short/average/long head tube. If it’s long or average then I’d just go for it and cut to length, you can always search out minimal stack stems and headsets later if you find it a bit too short for a new frame.

binners

Just change your forks as often as you change your frame. Twice a week

Sorry… I was just possessed by the spirit of Hora then…

_tom_
    Free Member

I left my pikes uncut and just added spacers on top of the steerer. Tbh I could’ve got away with cutting em a bit as all the frames I seem to swap between are pretty similar, but could never really be arsed!

semuc
    Free Member

Cool, thanks for the tips.

I’ll pick up a couple of different width spacers on the way home I think and experiment for a bit. I can always cut it down a bit more but I don’t want to overcut…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cut it to the correct height for your body.

The whole stem slammed thing should of never been a trend in the first place.

+1, the height of the bars wont change between frames, unless you actualy need it lower than a certain frame allows.

Baldysquirt

It will only be fractional, but isn’t the height determined by a relationship between BB and bars, and therefore may change slightly with lower or higher BBs?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘For those of you who change your frames regularly(ish)’ is closed to new replies.