Home Forums Chat Forum Food stop recommendation A303/M3 Andover/Basingstoke area

• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Food stop recommendation A303/M3 Andover/Basingstoke area
  • Trailseeker
    Free Member

11 of us off to Twickenham end of the month, looking for somewhere to stop around midday for late breakfast/dinner not to far off the A303/M3 – nothing to posh, any suggestions?
    Looked at a few pubs but some of our group balked at paying >£15 for fish & chips or bamgers & mash!

kja78
    Free Member

If you take the Bulford exit you can get to the Solstice services near Amesbury, has a Harvester (or that type of thing), Maccy Ds, Pizza Hut, KFC. Or if you go on a bit further to the main Andover junction, signed Army HQ, there’s a big roundabout with a couple of chain type pubs and another McDs.

snaps
    Free Member

We ate here last summer & it was good value.

jam-bo

Fleet services…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Watership Down, Freefolk
    The White Hart, Overton
    The Sun, Dummer

Or just get a shitty overpriced burger at Fleet. 😁

dovebiker

If you’re looking for decent value and if it’s dry, try the Fox and Hounds in Church Crookham which has outdoor seating on the Basingstoke Canal and has a relatively decent value menu / decent portions. Leave M3 at Hook/Odiham and rejoin at Jn4a.

lesgrandepotato

There’s a pub just off j5 of the M3. The Hogget. Decent food no distance to the motorway.

mefty
    Free Member

The Cricketers, Longparish is getting decent reviews.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Cheers – I’ll put them to the vote!

brassneck

Chalkhill Blue gets continually slated on local Facebook things, but it is very conveniently on the Andover roundabout. Maccy D across the road and a premier Inn.

I’d drive a little further off and follow the Captain’s suggestions if you’ve the time.

Or Butters in Andover itself – that also seems to take a bit of a pasting on social media, but it’s always been decent when I’ve been in.

drlex
    Free Member

An alternative is turning left off the A303 just before it feeds into the M3 and there are three pubs you can choose from – The Fox below North Waltham or either The Wheatsheaf or The Sun either side of the road when it becomes the A33. There’s also usually a decent kebab van there, but possibly not early on. Rejoin the M3 at junction 7 a few hundred yards further along.

I’m off to Lords on Saturday morning – anyone recommend a café in St John’s Wood?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Sun either side of the road when it becomes the A33. There’s also usually a decent kebab van there, but possibly not early on

Dummer, as above! The best of the three options there. The ‘Babber hasn’t been there last couple up of times I’ve gone past. Maybe just the wrong time.

For Lords, I’ve always had brekker in toen before heading to the wild northern wastelands. If not at the club, I’ve eaten well at Piccolo on Shepherd Street then Jubilee Line straight up (via M&S food for picnic and booze. Hollowed out baguette full of wine bottles FTW!)

drlex
    Free Member

Ta; driving up, so needs to be local to the ground and I’m not with the bacon’n’eggs crew to eat there. Might try the one on the roof of Alfie’s on Church street if we’ve time. Interesting bread hollowing tip; will remember that for the next non-driving visit.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Ended up here – it was fine, I had a bacon cheeseburger & chips plus a Guinness for £8.99 the others had fish & chips or allday breakfast for similar money.

supercarp

Newlyns farm shop just off junction 5 of M3 right off slip road towards odiham then first exit next roundabout about 2 mins off m3. Nice breakfast

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Newlyns farm shop just off junction 5 of M3 right off slip road towards odiham then first exit next roundabout about 2 mins off m3. Nice breakfast

Good place to buy booze as well! 😀

mefty
    Free Member

Ended up here – it was fine, I had a bacon cheeseburger & chips plus a Guinness for £8.99 the others had fish & chips or allday breakfast for similar money.

Never been in there – many moons ago it had a truly great name – The Why not

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Food stop recommendation A303/M3 Andover/Basingstoke area’ is closed to new replies.