Home Forums Bike Forum Folding bike – choice of two!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Folding bike – choice of two!
  • flyingmonkeycorps

There doesn’t seem to be that much to choose between these two, if anything I’d lean towards the Carrera I think… Anyone have any experience of either?

Carrera Transport

Dahon Speed D7

Has to be one of these two, and has to be from Halfords – it’s not for me!

T1000
    Free Member

if it’s the halfords bike to work scheme they can use other shops inc action bikes, condor, etc….

so the choice could be wider……

epicyclo

Dahon

stanfree
    Free Member

Was in decathlon yesterday and there Btwin looks fairly decent for the price.

mdb
    Free Member

If you can then get a Brompton. You will pay more but the quality of the fold and its robustness will not let you down. Everything else is just a (cheap) imitation.

rewski
    Free Member

I had a Dahon Jetstream, very well made bike, also got a good price on ebay when I sold it.

bencooper
    Free Member

The Carrera is a Dahon – what they do (well, used to, not sure about the latest ones) was use last year’s Dahon jigs to make the bikes for other brands. So a 2010 Raleigh would have the same frame as a 2009 Dahon, for example.

Go for a Brompton, definitely 🙂

nickf
    Free Member

If you can then get a Brompton. You will pay more but the quality of the fold and its robustness will not let you down. Everything else is just a (cheap) imitation.

Whoa there big hoss – if the only thing you’re interested in is the fold, then get a Brompton. If you want it to ride a bit more like a bike, then get just about anything other than a Brompton.

flyingmonkeycorps

The actual folding action isn’t hugely important. It DOES have to be one of those two though. Sounds like either would suffice!

StirlingCrispin

I’d buy a Brompton too.

But how about a Tern?
    Set up Dr Hon’s son and wife – which should make for a tense evening in the Hon family home.

http://blog.evanscycles.com/commuter_urban/evans-cycles-introduces-tern-bicycles/

mulacs

Mrs mulacs has a Dahon Speed Pro(bought off here), higher spec model but I’m v impressed with it and the build quality. I’d recommend one. She’s constantly getting asked about it/compliments/overtaking Brompton riders. 🙂

nickf
    Free Member

At that level, either would be fine. Get some decent brakes on them (the ones on my Dahon Mu SL were shocking – replaced with s/h XTR) and accept that you’re never going to do a TT on them, and you’ll be fine.

All depends on the usage though. Mine only gets foldes once a week if the train’s busy – the rest of the time I only use a folder because to carry a train in rush-hour it has to be capable of being folded. .

I didn’t like the Bromptons all that much to actually ride, though I accept that they have the best folding action. And to get a decent one that doesn’t weigh the earth you’re looking at £1k+

drain

I really liked the build quality of my Dahon Cadenza, very well made / good components. Only got rid of it because I don’t commute any more.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Get the Dahon and put some Big Apples on it – much nicer ride and handling.

bullheart
    Free Member

Whoa there big hoss – if the only thing you’re interested in is the fold, then get a Brompton. If you want it to ride a bit more like a bike, then get just about anything other than a Brompton.

Epic response Nick. Epic.

Big Hoss!!?? Love it.

rewski
    Free Member

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Folding bike – choice of two!’ is closed to new replies.