Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Flying Ant Day
  • bongohoohaa
    Free Member

The suspense is killing me….

somafunk

I came home 15mins ago to find a flock of birds making light work of the Ant nest under my front doorstep, the ants (legged variety) have dug out loads of exit holes as evident by the piles of dust/dirt and the ants are running about like mad as the birds pick them off so i forecast flying ant day hatch will commence tomorrow in the forecasted mini heatwave.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

According to Prof. Alice Roberts twitter feed it’s today in Bristol.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I just saw one a minute ago, assuming the lawn is about to erupt at any minute.

What with the wild honey bees taking up residence on next door’s fascia, it looks like it might be time to shut the windows.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

We seem to have some on the East coast, although we did kill loads of ants a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully not too many.

maxtorque

God they are LAZY! I mean, sit around on their ass for 364 days of the year and then, just ’cause it’s a nice day they suddenly decide to actually fly about a bit for a change…….

orangewinger
    Free Member

One nest here this morning but they’re not everywhere. Quite a few are now being tucked into by some eight legged friends.

MoreCashThanDash

Had some today, but seemed smaller (size of the ants) than normal.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Just spent the last hour stopping a mini flant/ant invasion in junior no2s room. They must be making their way up the cavity and in under her skirting board.

Just so glad the Mrs has filled the vaccum and wheelie bin with hundreds of the little bastards. Cheers love.

grey

Had some indoors at work last Wednesday, had to nuke them with killer.
    Seems folk don’t like them in their bedrooms 😆

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Hmm. The threatened invasion never came. Looks like it was just a few rogue scouts.

Back to the trenches till tomorrow…

rs
    Free Member

Had an invasion last year, two days before we were due to move out of the place we were staying, didn’t get much packing done that evening!

molgrips
    Free Member

Tons of insects on tonight’s ride, one in the eye and a few near misses.. didn’t seem to be ants though.

shifter
    Free Member

Judging by the number of ant holes on my block paving I’m expecting it all to collapse and my car to disappear some time soon.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

flying ant day again here .. them and the visiting beasts

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

It was really odd here. Nothing happened. Dunno if it’s coming late, but all the ant nests on the lawn seemed to have gone, and no flying ants. Dunno if something got in and ate them, but most confusing.

Guess I will just have to console myself with all the mosquitos/gnats swarming out of the water butt when I removed the lid.

jaymoid

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Actually, scrub that.

The lawn just exploded.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/YPDNtYX.jpeg[/img]

alanl
    Free Member

Yes, thye’ve arrived here at Leicester, and at work in Rugby today. My chickens are going mad chasing them / eating them.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I actually seen them for the first time ever, because of this thread. I was changing at bellshill station waiting to get the train through to edinburgh, when thousands of ants started appearing out the cracks on the platforms, said to my mate, look flying ant day, he’s like aye right, ants don’t fly, sure enough they all started taking off. great to see. and cheers to the OP for the heads up (2 weeks ago!) 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

There were out on Waterloo platform 8 this afternoon 🙂

mechanicaldope

Nothing in Birmingham.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Lincolnshire checking in

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Just been & gone here in Cambridge-lawn now full of holes!

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

blimey .. they must have some major warning communication system going on .. as now they ve all gone and the garden is peacefulish

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Our kitchen got bum rushed last week after the middle uns bedroom was busted the week before.

Had them all over the front door Tuesday evening. We had the ant man out the other week but I think I will stick to a can of Lynx and a lighter.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

They invaded our kitchen a few days ago but I treat them as I would a terrorist only my gun goes, ‘pssst’ & not, ‘bang!’

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

You fitted a silencer?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

More here today too, little feckers were hatching while we were working the other side of the conservatory, they knew we couldn’t see them.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Yep, today in Milton Keynes…All hatches battened down.

jeffl

Middle son was very excited and rushed in to tell me about the flying ants in the gaeden this afternoon. Chesterfield.

hammerite
    Free Member

None seen any at home today, but there were loads flying around a local retail park this afternoon (nr Bedford).

bearnecessities

Just spotted a lone fat bugger in the garden……(W.Yorks)

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Probably my mother in law.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m guessing this thread just proves the idea of flying ant “day” as nonsense, more like flying ant month? 😆

Drac

Had the dog out for a walk this afternoon and there was thousands of them.

mooman
    Free Member

Flying ant day here today. Sat watching a jay eating them up off lawn for half hour earlier.

chrisdw
    Free Member

First day I’ve seen them today too! Must be a real day!

v8ninety

South Staffs checking in. Am trapped in house. And still itchy. Eugh.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Oxon. in flight last night. Over.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Flying Ant Day’ is closed to new replies.