Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Flat bar gravel bike…
  • LMT
    Free Member

Priced under the magic cycle scheme voucher of £1k are there any out there or any that come close?

Im after a bike I can chuck down the canals and still hit a good run on the road, plan a is to find a gravel bike flat bar and a good enough spec. I’ve spotted a Planet X at £699 but it’s not well spec’ed enough.

Plan b I’m trying to find out if the higher end Boardman hyb will take a 38c tyre and that might be the solution.

Plan c is pick up the Crockett frameset from trek and swap the bits from my crosstrail over, or find a non suspension fork with 50mm travel offset but that’s been tricky and that way keep using my crosstrail.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sure you could find a rigid29er for that price.

cookeaa

Flat bar gravel bike

In the olden days it was pronounced “Hybrid”…

ElShalimo

Cube SL Road is worth a look

LMT
    Free Member

Thanks! That cube looks just what I’m after.

kerley
    Free Member

Plan b I’m trying to find out if the higher end Boardman hyb will take a 38c tyre and that might be the solution.

This comes with 35c so guessing 38 would fit.

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman-hyb-8-9-mens-hybrid-bike-2019.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwn4ncBRCaARIsAFD5-gUEl1XFubQFHW1UUpwqPjTytRyiqy1t9apcadEM8eW6NFowGh4CRkwaArDGEALw_wcB

molgrips
    Free Member

<span style=”display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: transparent; color: #222222; font-family: ‘Open Sans’; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 22.4px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>In the olden days it was pronounced “Hybrid”…</span>

It’s not the old days any more.  Hybrid now suggests commuter bike i.e. cheap and upright.

molgrips
    Free Member

Although I dunno, this Specialized Sirrus looks alright: https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-sirrus-sport-2019-hybrid-bike-EV306274

However the biggest PITA with ‘hybrid’ bikes is the 135mm rear axle on a bike that essentially requires road wheels.

Cheezpleez
    ton

cube nuroad here, fitted with flats and mtb controls.

sooo comfy.

LMT
    Free Member

Thanks, didn’t notice the sirrus having the wider tyres, might be able to use my crosstrail wheels and swap over between road duty and the canals.

PJay
    Free Member

Sonder will have a flat bar Camino available from mid-September that’s within budget. I’ve no personal experience of a Camino but the drop bar versions seem very well respected on here.

RichBowman

Had a BMC Alpenchallenge – seriously quick for a flat bar, though I’d not recommend taking it down canal paths if you’ve got fillings. It’s seriously stiff (in good road-bike kind of way).

Great bike though.

legometeorology
    Free Member

My partner just got a Lithium 5, it’s def more like a rigid 29er than what you seem to be after (take 2.3 inch tyres, steel fork…)

The Neon would be good though:  https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-neon-4-2018-hybrid-bike-EV275613

Pinnacle Neon 4 2017 Hybrid Bike Black White EV275613 8590 1_Thumbnail

It seems to have a better groupset than the BMC and Cube things, and it has a carbon fork, while I think the BMC and Cube have aluminium ones (I’m not certain about that though, worth confirming)

This is the sweetest looking IMO though…

https://www.marinbikes.com/gb/bikes/2019-pavement-fitness-transit-beyond-road-nicasio-rc

00 Web Product Sizing 0042 Nicasio Rc Bicyclingedchoice

thepodge
    Free Member

My Mrs has a Pinnacle Lithium too, she loves it though I’d like to try 650 wheels in it.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Jesus mountain biking really has gone full circle and ended up its own arse.

Just buy a decent spec classic mountain bike from the 80s or nineties.

molgrips
    Free Member

Stupidest suggestion ever ^^

Why NOT buy one of these bikes?  They aren’t exactly overpriced are they?  Just because the marketing pains you so much doesn’t mean they’re not actually good bikes.

ElShalimo

@rOcKeTdOg – is that genuine leopard skin?

toemul
    Free Member

Just in the middle of building such a bike started with cube cross race frame and forks from discount bikes which seemed reasonably priced but add on special sized headset and through Axel’s and that’s another £100, anyway tiagra all-round Alex draw wheels flat mount brakes riser bar with bar ends iknow iknow but I needed a bit more front hight should add up to a sexy one bike does all for a bag of sand.

136stu
    Free Member

Giant Rapid here. Similar to the Cube SL Road, fast/light flat bar commuter/hybrid/gravel etc. Tiagra 2 x 10, 50/34 compact, hydraulic disc brakes, upgraded wheels HALO Devaura aero with Panaracer Gravelking tyres. Very nice bike but nearing time for a change.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Inbred 29er, carbon ebay rigid forks, 42c Specialized Hillbillys on my old Spank Oozys, 600mm flat carbon bar with fake Ergon bar ends (ebay specials again). Comfiest mile muncher I’ve ridden. Shimano flip flop spds/flats and it’ll do every type of ride apart from proper mountain biking. Currently loving doing as much off road out of the door, finding as many canal paths, urban walkways etc until I get out of town onto the bridleways, green lanes and hills.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Flat bar gravel bike…’ is closed to new replies.