Home Forums Bike Forum First bike build – Big Dog

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • First bike build – Big Dog
  • blitz

Finished my first ever bike build yesterday. Bought an On-One Big Dog frame in the pre-order sale last year when it came out and have gradually picked up components over the last few months as and when good deals have been around.

Really happy with how it’s turned out. Where possible I’ve stuck with parts that are compatible with my Orbea Occam so I can swap things over if needed hence running 11-speed, but I’ve found this to give ample range and has been really reliable.

Spec below:

Rockshox Reba
    SLX Crankset 32T
    SLX 11 speed shifter
    XT SGS 11 speed mech
    Sunrace MX80 11-50 cassette and chain
    Sun ringle Duroc 35 wheelset
    Maxxis DHF 29 x 2.3 3C
    Maxxis Aggressor 29 x 2.3
    Deore 500/501 brakes
    SLX rotors

Nukeproof Neutron pedals and grips
    Raceface Atlas Handlebar 35mm
    Charge Spoon Saddle
    Brand X dropper

I know people say not to tot up the spend but couldn’t resist and it’s come in under their standard GX build and I much prefer this spec.

Had it’s maiden voyage yesterday. Just a gentle one with my 7 year old up the woods but it seems great. Think it will be fun.

Only issue I had was the seatpost was slipping. On-one have it as a 34.9mm clamp but I’ve tried two clamps and I have to prise them apart a bit to get them over the seat tube and then they’re splayed open more than usual. Haven’t got any carbon paste so will try and get some and see if that helps.

Looking forward to a proper ride but found this a really satisfying process and has kept my mind occupied during all of this madness.

On-One Big Dog build

JackHammer

Nice. Looks good in the grey, I went for the orange and it’s quite loud. PX’s photos of the frames didn’t look as good in the grey, but that looks quite tidy. How are you finding the 1×11? Trying to decide whether to make the jump from 1×10, and which brand to get.

cokie

Looks great. Nice build! New build seems like the perfect distraction during lockdown.
    Is the frame clear coated?
    Do you know what the frame weighs?

blitz

Cheers. I like the grey. Wasn’t keen on the big on-one decal so took it off and think it looks better. It’s not clear coated.

I really like this 1 x 11 set up. Have very similar on my other bike. It shifts really well, big range, pretty inexpensive parts relative to 12 speed, long lasting.

Think the frame is 2.7kg. It’s reasonably heavy picking it up, but doesn’t feel it riding. That may be the fact its a hardtail and the aggressor rear tyre is quicker rolling than DHR on my other bike so it rides quicker despite being heavier.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘First bike build – Big Dog’ is closed to new replies.