Home Forums Bike Forum Finding people to ride with

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Finding people to ride with
  • dansat
    Free Member

While I enjoy riding by myself I have came to the conclusion I need more mates

Can anyone recommend any apps/websites/groups in the UK for finding like minded people to ride with?

I do go on meetup group rides in my area sometimes but think I would prefer to ride with a smaller group

phil5556

Where are you? Might find someone on here.

sharkattack

I can’t help you with apps or websites but where are you and what kind of riding do you want to do?

Most areas (probably all) have active FB groups now rather than forums or anything else.

colp

Maybe ask in your LBS

onewheelgood

This is the third thread like this in the last couple of months. After the first one, we got as far as a WhatsApp group for the area (Warwick/Leamington) but haven’t actually managed a ride yet…

rOcKeTdOg

apps/websites/groups in the UK

Facebook group for your area/genre of preferred bicycle?

rOcKeTdOg

This is the third thread like this in the last couple of months. After the first one, we got as far as a WhatsApp group for the area (Warwick/Leamington) but haven’t actually managed a ride yet…

Is that the one where I suggested a ride and the guy asking to join others as he had no routes to ride said “I don’t get up that early!” ?

onewheelgood

Could be 😂😂

dansat
    Free Member

I am in Leeds, do lots of riding in the yorkshire dales, peak district, calderdale

rockbus

onewheelgood

Not YET but we will!!

rOcKeTdOg
    “ Is that the one where I suggested a ride and the guy asking to join others as he had no routes to ride said “I don’t get up that early!”

That’s not entirely true, you said you’d previously tried to get local people to a pre work ride and I said “I’m not a morning person so don’t think I could handle pre work rides”. Was meant to be a tongue in cheek comment but for some reason seems to have hacked you off…so sorry.
    Like the OP my main aim was just to try and find some people local to me who fancy getting out when we can (as onewheelgood has commented that’s been more difficult than I hoped but we will keep trying!).

Anyhow, dansat, hopefully some people local will see your post and you’ll get a little group together.

onewheelgood

I’m retired so there’s no such thing as ‘pre-work’ – any time is post-work for me. But when I was working, although I considered it from time to time, I never went for a pre-work ride. Crazy idea, so I fully support rockbus’s position on this.

Mugboo

What kind of Calderdale riding do you like and are you around on Mondays or Wednesdays?

Mugboo

I’ve noticed that these days there is a big difference between what we all think of as riding. I’ve mates that like a pootle and others that aren’t happy till they’ve risked there neck. And don’t get me started on e-bikers ;)

thegeneralist
    Free Member

You could try sticking a message on here. For the last 20 years or so all my riding was either en famile or solo, so i was really out of touch with group rides. I put up a few messages on here and found some great people to ride with. Just finished doing the B’Bash with Alison, Duncan and 3 others who are probably lurking around here somewhere.

Sometimes there’s a bit of tumbleweed blowing through the threads, but equally sometimes there’s a fair few replies and TBH it was my stupid fault that I didn’t meet up with more forumites on my last trip to Scotland. My inability to commit to anything more than 12 hours in advance got the better of me.

Anyway as someone above said, where are you?

Stevelol
    Free Member

I ride every Sunday around Calderdale, Kirklees, Peaks, Saddleworth, I have a couple of mates that regularly ride too.

The big group that we’re in is gradually fizzling out with very few people riding, so I was going to post a thread too aging exactly the same thing as you.

Send us a PM if you fancy a ride, we went out around Copley, Elland etc today.

rOcKeTdOg

But when I was working, although I considered it from time to time, I never went for a pre-work ride. Crazy idea, so I fully support rockbus’s position on this.

Fair enough, but if a person wants other people to do all the work of organising a ride, planning the route etc after you’ve put the exact same ride with me plea on at least 3 face book groups that I know of and STW, the least I think you should do is make the effort to get out of bed 🤷‍♂️ is that unreasonable?

the-muffin-man

Pre-work rides??? What sort of nutter are you!? 🤣🤣🤣

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

cycleworks bike shop do a monthly ride from its shop [leeds rd, huddersfield]. next one is thursday 6pm.
    Been on a few, everyone seems alright, quite a mix of ability and riding style.

joebristol

I sort of get the sentiment – but equally going for a ride before work is hardcore – sort of getting up at 4-5am is beyond what most people would be uk for I reckon.

Especially if people have dogs to walk / kids to get ready etc

mark88

I am in Leeds, do lots of riding in the yorkshire dales, peak district, calderdale

There’s a couple of active facebook riding groups covering the Peak and South Yorkshire:
    https://www.facebook.com/tastytechaddicts
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/coggers

I haven’t ever been out with them, but was looking at moving to Sheffield a while back so had done a pre-emptive search

mark88

I put up a few messages on here and found some great people to ride with. Just finished doing the B’Bash with Alison, Duncan and 3 others who are probably lurking around here somewhere.

@thegeneralist
    Can I be added to your Lakes contact list please? I need a kick to get myself back in the fells.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Lurk, we don’t lurk!! We linger at most! Organising rides with people can be tough, I really struggled when I was living in the West Meds to get a regular few people who I could message with ‘can you ride?’ It’s tricky when you consider people have familes, commitments, work etc. and then you’re trying to find something that works for everybody involved. And that’s before you start to consider fitness, riding style, personality type.

I tried plenty of different avenues, sometimes it really is luck! I’ve messaged plenty of people suggesting rides who have completely blanked me because people already have ‘friends’ that they ride with, it must be nice to have too many mates huh! Just have to keep trying and not lose heart!

StuE
    Free Member

Meet up site has a few mtb/cycling groups
    https://www.meetup.com

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Our loose collective of riders originates for the same reasons from this here forum in about 2009. People come and people go, because of personal circumstances, riding preferences and personalities. Its all subject to change for each individual and can be tricky.

The solutions to make it work are always sub-optimal and you can never please everyone. I’ve learned to be pretty accepting of the less-than-perfect, because thats kinda as good as it gets.

sc-xc

There used to be a meet up thread here didn’t there?

If anyone is in the DY area (Kingswinford/Stourbridge/Dudley etc) and fancies a regular gravel evening ride I’d be interested. Started riding again after a 10+ year break and have forgotten the trails I used to ride on my old mountain bikes…

oldenough
    Free Member

but equally going for a ride before work is hardcore – sort of getting up at 4-5am 

Sometimes I’m up at that time, but never get up at that time 😱

rOcKeTdOg

Pre-work rides??? What sort of nutter are you!? 🤣

A nutter who sometimes doesn’t start work until 11am 😉

rOcKeTdOg

If anyone is in the DY area (Kingswinford/Stourbridge/Dudley etc) and fancies a regular gravel evening ride I’d be interested. Started riding again after a 10+ year break and have forgotten the trails I used to ride on my old mountain bikes…

Just got back from a nice circular belbroughton -clent-hagley-kinver-kiddy-stourport-hartlebury-belbroughton pedal, could add stourbridge-wollaston into that too. Probably 60ish miles with some nice off road bits and canal

duncancallum

Ask on here there’s a lot of calder folk here plus 2 busy FB groups.

Hell if there’s ever another MNPR ride you could ask them..

singlespeedstu

@sc-xc
    I’d love to show you some of the old stuff I used to ride but it’s a bit far to come for an evening ride.

You must be able to remember some stuff though?
    You’re hardly going to get lost you’ve lived there for long enough😉

I’ve offered many times before but will offer again.
    Anyone visiting The Tweed Valley just message me and I’ll gladly show you round.

nuke

is that unreasonable?

Yeah if it doesnt work for rockbus….but then you’ve not responded to his perfectly reasonable explanation

rOcKeTdOg

Yeah if it doesnt work for rockbus….but then you’ve not responded to his perfectly reasonable explanation

That he can’t motivate himself before 11am?

nuke

That he can’t motivate himself before 11am?

You only mention this later in this thread or did rockbus know you meant before 11am as ‘pre-work’ as for most people ‘pre-work’ is far earlier, more like before 8-9am?

rockbus

I start work at 8.30 so I’d assumed it meant getting a ride in before then…which I just wouldn’t be able to do.
    End of the day guess it’s up to each individual, my only aim had been to find some people who might be wishing to get out together. No pressure on anyone to ride at particular time or organise the ride. Also as I don’t know many decent routes I was hoping others would help me to find some.
    Anyhow, obviously just wasn’t something that suited @rocketdog which is perfectly fine.

dansat
    Free Member

Cheers, may do. Love it round there. I am having time out of mtb at the minute because I’ve hurt my back (yes I am 31) but I should be back in a few weeks

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Can I be added to your Lakes contact list please? I need a kick to get myself back in the fells.

@mark88

I nearly texted to see if I could gatecrash your Dunkeld trip last weekend, but concluded that a full 3 days might be a bit presumptive.

Would be great to ride again. I don’t actually have a group as such. Golfchick was the brains behind yesterday’s ride.

Due to work, family and mental shit, I’m utterly useless at committing to anything more than 12 hours into the future. Like really, really bad. The only exceptions are flights and eurotunnels.
    As a result I just tend to send out stupid requests the day before or even on the day.

I think this request at noon on a January Saturday is probably the worst( best?) Example :-)

Riding Accomplice required Now (well in the next couple of hours) Mid Britain

I did message you a while back but got no reply . Can you PM me your phone number.

And shout if you’re going out and about.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.