Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Films with sad endings.
  • mogrim

Independence Day is perfect as is, no need to change it.

+1 on wishing for a sad ending to Hannah Montana, death to her and her father, "Jackson Triumphant" or similar.

A poignant ending to Toy Story 2, the camera slowly zooming out on Woody beating uselessly on the museum glass case he's stuck in, the lights dimming, the kids going home…

grievoustim
    Free Member

the original Tarantino scripted ending to "True Romance" had Christian Slater's character killed in the final shoot out.

Tony Scott changed it to a "look, he's not dead really" ending

Aliens has a fairly happy ending (in that Ripley, the little girl and the bloke from terminator all survive) – but then she wakes up at the start of Alien 3 and the girl and her boyfriend are both dead, and she has an Alien in her stomach. Kind of takes the shine off!

DezB
    Free Member

T2 could've done without that bloody corny thumbs up at the end.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I loved the ending to The Departed – looked like it was setting up for the very predictable ending (all round ace film, actually).

I'm not a fan of musicals, so Chicago and Moulin Rouge should have had sad (gory) endings IMHO. Perhaps Renee Zelwegger could have fried in the chair?

BigJohn

Any fillum with the face pulling boy, what's his name? A h yes, Leonardo de Caprio would be vastly improved by seeing him torn limb from limb during the closing credits.

And Mutiny on the Buses would have been brilliant if Blakey had sacked Stan and Jack and run off with Olive.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Watched threads the other night (after a forum post on here).

basically nuclear holocaust in sheffield.

I really have never seen something quite so bleak in my life.

cracking film though.

odannyboy
    Free Member

I hate films with sad endings.i like to be uplifted from the depravity of life, not drowned in it!

english patint is a kick in the nuts and the time travellers wife did for me recently also.

never again, its hollywood happiness from know on for me!bring on mary poppins!

BigJohn

But Mary Poppins (which is a madly anarchistic story, as you will realise when you've had to hear it as often as I did when my kids were young) does have a sad ending. She destroys the banking system, and the family's life then buggers off.

Pigface
    Free Member

The Wild Bunch has a poignant ending, a gang of mates who had run out of time in both senses. Typical Pekinpah stuff but brilliant, Dutch shouting "Pike Pike" as he dies.

The ending of Two Lane Black Top always leaves me a bit morose.

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry was a suprise and pretty grim.

westkipper
    Free Member

I quite like downbeat endings. It gives the storytelling a kind of grounded credibility, since we all know, deep down, that life rarely ends well.
    One of the better ones is in Little Big Man, which not only gives a downbeat, though wry, conclusion with old Lodgeskins 'failing' to die, as he'd hoped, but has that bitter double ending with Jack Crabb, being left alone with his memories in the darkened retirement home.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

bikemonkey – Member

I loved the ending to The Departed – looked like it was setting up for the very predictable ending (all round ace film, actually).

My favourite bit: Ray Winstone in the car….

"F*ck it…"

westkipper
    Free Member

What about Vanishing Point, is that a sad ending?
    It could be taken as a happy one.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Watched the first ten minutes of "Happy Go Lucky" last night and JUST KNEW that if I watched it any more I'd start harbouring feelings of extreme violence…

zaskar
    Free Member

I watched A.I. years ago and sniffled… 😳

qwerty
    Free Member

the BOY in the STRIPED PYJAMAS

😥

alex222
    Free Member

Did any one ever see the TMWRNG (Lee and Herring) alternative film endings, such as the alternative ending to Brave Heart…. 'This film is at best historically inaccurate and at worst morally and socially irresponsible'. Had an alternate end to Saving Private Ryan which was equally good involving the old lady at the end confessing to an afair. Brill.

Edukator
    Free Member

Forest Gump 🙁

Zug des Lebens 🙁 🙁

Noce Blanche 🙁 🙁 🙁

Tiger6791

I have never watched Titanic and I've always wondered what happens at the end?

Did the ship make it to New York?

skidartist
    Free Member

I have never watched Titanic and I've always wondered what happens at the end?

Did the ship make it to New York?

No the ship sinks and everyone is drowning, then just in the nick of time it pops back up again, everyone is saved and to celebrate they captain diverts to the caribbean where everyone is seen to relax on the beach drinking cocktails to indicate that everything is going to be alright for ever and ever and ever. But in the closing few frames the icebergs peeps into view on the horizon to let us know that theres going to be a sequel. In fact the iceberg later gets its own spin-off tv series.

Actually, I've not seen it either

stuartie_c
    Free Member

To turn this on its head, a deeply sad film with a brilliant, put-a-smile-on-your-face ending:

Birdy with Matthew Modine and Nic Cage.

Nick

english patint is a kick in the nuts

yeah but it's beautiful in a greek tragedy kind of way

sad endings are much more cathartic imo, especially compared to saccharine hollywood dross, although non-vomit inducing clever happy endings are great too, like Birdy, think there's a thread there…

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Starship Troopers.

Now that SHOULD have had a sad ending. In the book all his friends, family and girlfriends are dead and there's no "Woop Woop Yearh!" victory.. Just an indeterminable future as a career soldier in an endless war.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Films with sad endings.’ is closed to new replies.