Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Films ….. That you didn't expect to be good but were …….
  • letmetalktomark

Looking for examle to watch that really didn’t get the reviews theys should have.

Perhaps low budget, a bit leftfield or just those that weren’t the usual corporate dribble 😛

I’ll start >>

Film: Skyline

Premise: Alien invasion.

Review: Not usual Independence Day stuff. No Oscar winner but for a small budget production really very good. A bit District 9ish but darker.

Sadly written off by critics.

Now … your go!

Maltloaf

Up
    The chorus

nobtwidler
    Free Member

The Kings speech

bikebouy
    Free Member

“The Day the Earth Stood Still” (on last night.
    Never seen it before, thought it’d be pants but actually rather enjoyed the whole “wooden Keanu” thing he does so well.. In fact MrsBouy commented on his ability to act like he isn’t acting, at which point I spilt my Lapsang all over the carpet rug.. Took me until the 4th advert to clear it up.. Still a bit damp this morning..
    Oh, the film, erm yes quite enjoyable until the “we’ve run out of money” ending.

wrecker
    Free Member

The Slammin’ Salmon. (a broken lizard film)
    Expected it to be terrible (as many US comedies are), had a few beers and laughed quite a lot. Not for everyone but not at all bad.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Golden Compass that was on the telly last night… read and loved the pullman books, well, apart from the 3rd one in the series which ended up being a bit shit. Nothing like the books really but beautifully shot.

staralfur
    Free Member

No no no, Skyline was one of the worst ever for me, truly terrible!

Warrior really took me by surprise, expected a UFC cheese fest, but instead I found it hugely enjoyable.

letmetalktomark

nobtwidler – Member

The Kings speech

I think the Kings Speech got what it deserved!

Looking for under the radar films, or those that weren’t “in fashion” at the time.

Good call on The Day the Earth Stood Still – agreed on the ending 😆

Maltloaf – Member

The chorus

Looks good.

Duly added to the list.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Amelie. Saw a trailer for it, around Xmas time I think it was, thought ‘jeeze that looks right soppy’, just happened to be switched to C4 when it came on, ended up watching it.

Thought it was brilliant. Really beautiful film. Totally different to what I’d expected, and so good it’s one of me fave films. 🙂

Del

amelie from montemarte? would like to see that. i’m intrigued by it. the soundtrack has popped up on spotify a few times and it’s piqued my interest.

‘juno’ got good reviews but i didn’t think it was ‘my sort of film’. when it came on the telly though i was sat in front of it, thought i’d give it a go, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Up

Got great reviews (unless you think it didn’t deserve them).

letmetalktomark

Agreed on Amelie ….. do love Audrey Tautou 😳

Now back to the films 😛

scuzz
    Free Member

17 again
    Twilight
    Ice Age 3
    …well, not really. That’s what I tell myself for agreeing to go and see them…

warton
    Free Member

clueless. I love that film 😳

Drac

Skyline was just awful terrible film ranks as one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

kayak23

Snakes on a Plane – So, so bad, its actually quite good.
    Amelie – Lush
    Pans Labrynth – Fantastic.

Drac

Sorry forgot.

Piranha – Watched to kill some time and nothing else was on, was great cheesy film.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

I watched Pan’s Labyrinth last night, it made me feel distinctly uncomfortable. Though I was also quite hungover, it could have equally been that

RealMan
    Free Member

Garden State. With Zach Braff in the lead role as well as directing and writing (I think), I thought it was going to be utter rubbish. Turned out to be nearly as good as eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, worth a watch.

Harry_the_Spider

How strange! Myself and Mr Derekstarhip were just discussing this over a brew in the works kitchen (not a euphemism). 😯

He’ll be along shortly to tell you about some Norwegian vampire movies ’cause he’s a bit of a euro-ponce when it comes to films.

bazzer
    Free Member

Four Weddings and a Funeral

Didn’t really want to go and see it but went because wife wanted to go, great film.

IHN

Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one)

Assumed it would be gash, was actually properly entertaining and witty.

All the rest in the series that I’ve seen have been gash though.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Josie and the Pussycats. Don’t mock – it’s actually ****ing funny. Friend of mine had to practically batter me around the head until I agreed to watch it.

mboy
    Free Member

Sin City

Expected it to be terrible, not quite sure why, but I absolutely loved it! One of my favourite films for sure…

samuri
    Free Member

Attack the block. It wasn’t great but was certainly better than I thought it would be.

AlasdairMc

I too thought Skyline was appallingly bad, the script was awful and there were moments in the cinema when what felt like the entire audience burst out laughing at a supposedly ‘tender’ moment that was played in an amateur dramatic way.

However, following Skyline I had low expectations of Battle: Los Angeles, but was pleasantly surprised. It’s no Saving Private Ryan, but it did feel like Black Hawk Down with aliens.

funkynick

Clueless is ace…

As is the Princess Bride… (and the book is even better!)

For low budget sci-fi I’d suggest Dark Star for the connoisseur… or maybe Hardware…

bazzer
    Free Member

The Princess Bride , is a classic.

willard

Dark Star is fantastic! Rent it if you can find it.

I used to have a decent collection of rubbish films on VHS, some of which were so bad they were good. Alas, the video recorder has gone to the great resting place in the sky (the loft) and the film languish in the garage.

Bad Taste is worth a watch though, one of Peter Jackson’s first films and so gory it’s funny.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Waterworld

Got absolutely panned by critics, was considered a huge box office flop (although i believe it has eventually made money now)…everyone seemed to hate it at the time, and most still seem to hate it

However whenever i see it is on TV i’ll happily watch, must have seen it about 5 or 6 times now 😀

rOcKeTdOg

Perfume

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Waterworld

Got absolutely panned by critics, was considered a huge box office flop (although i believe it has eventually made money now)…everyone seemed to hate it at the time, and most still seem to hate it

Mark Kermode has written quite a bit about how this film has gone on to make a very handsome profit over the years in his latest book. Quite interesting.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The Princess Bride , is a classic.

Quite possibly the best film ever made. 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

hush (think it was called hush) low budget british film about human trafficking, surprisingly tense and well acted the whole way through

Trust – bigger budget but seems to not really see any kinda release over here, about a girl being groomed on internet. uncomfortable viewing, well acted

sugdenr
    Free Member

Layer Cake

Chocolate

joolsburger
    Free Member

Amilie is a truly excellent film but I expected it to be so it doesn’t count. Up – Thought it would be a kids movie, well done but nothing amazing and it got very dusty in my room after a few minutes.

District 9 – Alien film on a low budget set in SA with unknown actors – Brilliant film IMHO

z1ppy

I too thought Skyline was appallingly bad, the script was awful and there were moments in the cinema when what felt like the entire audience burst out laughing at a supposedly ‘tender’ moment that was played in an amateur dramatic way.

It is throughly appaling but the alien stuff is well done and original, I enjoyed those bits, ok the ending is a ‘little’ OTT. I did enjoy it and tried to make my g/f & neighbour just watch those bits, they were adamant they wanted the whole film.. for about 10 minutes.

However, following Skyline I had low expectations of Battle: Los Angeles, but was pleasantly surprised. It’s no Saving Private Ryan, but it did feel like Black Hawk Down with aliens.

It almost exactly Black Hawk down ( I hope Eckhart felt a little guilty stealing the last scene from Bana).. but I did enjoy it, but then I love Black Hawk down.

Junkyard
    Free Member

clueless. I love that film

no shame in that
    “daddy dont you think that includes sports equipment “
    I could quote mor ebut its a great film

+ 1 For Princess Bride – if you disagree then “prepare to die”

Flaperon

Moon.
    30 Minutes or Less.

mrhoppy

District 13
    Nightwatch/Daywatch
    Crying Freeman

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Films ….. That you didn't expect to be good but were …….’ is closed to new replies.