Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Films for 8 year old birthday sleepover party…
  • Harry_the_Spider

The Princess Bride or Stardust.

tomhoward

Deadpool*

*I only say this as I saw an 8th birthday cake with a deadpool theme (handmade to order)

Back to the future?

Daffy

Pacific Rim; it’s honking great robots battering what’re essentially dinosaurs. It’s a 12 but has no foul language or sex, just thinks beating each other.

yetidave
    Free Member

Pacific rim, don’t people get pulled out of the massive robots by big scary monsters and eaten? not sure if I would be allowed to show that to my 8yr old by MrsYeti.

teethgrinder

Tremors

Daffy

My 6 year old watched it and loved it. And yes, you see 3 people get eaten, but then that also happens in Jurassic Park which is a PG.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

From a previous Era
    Indiana Jones
    Herbie flicks
    Treasure Island
    Champ
    Black Stallion
    Bugsy Malone
    The Wizard of OZ
    Home Alone
    Mrs Doubtfire
    Big

From this Era
    Diary of a Wimpy Kid

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Kubo and the two strings or something by Hayao Miyazaki, My neighbour Totoro for example.

Daffy

The Golden Compass?

Euro
    Free Member

The Incredibles
    Kubo and the two strings (fantastic animation + score)
    Real Steel
    Big Hero 6

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Must have been around 8 when the school took us to the cinema to see Condorman, not really sure how well that’ll age mind but it was fantastic at the time.

Drac

Must have been around 8 when the school took us to the cinema to see Condorman, not really sure how well that’ll age mind but it was fantastic at the time.

Badly, very very badly

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Yes, I did give it a quick you tubing 8O. The baddies Porches were cool though.

jimjam
    Free Member

yetidave – Member

Pacific rim, don’t people get pulled out of the massive robots by big scary monsters and eaten?

Tremors

Daffy – Member

My 6 year old watched it and loved it. And yes, you see 3 people get eaten, but then that also happens in Jurassic Park which is a PG. [/quote]

It’s probably worth noting that prior to the introduction of (12a) a lot of the decision making as to whether a film would be pg or 12 was based on who made the film and the anticipated revenue from it. This was even more true pre 1989 and the original 12 cert. So basically a lot of older pg films would definitely get 12a ratings today.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Come and See

Main character’s a kid innit. Think it’s a kids film… not seen for ages.

bensales
    Free Member

I’m going to put my boring old fart hat on for a sec…

If you’re planning on showing a 12 or 15 cert film to a bunch of 8 years olds, clear it with their parents first. My lad is 8, and there are some things I know he can watch quite happily e.g. Iron Man. Ghostbusters, however, would have him sleepless for a week and that’s a PG!

<edit>

In fact, I’d honestly say no 8 year olds should be seeing a 15 cert film.

Harry_the_Spider

Salem’s Lot? There’s some kids in that.

eltonerino
    Free Member

Gremlins has the Santa isn’t real thing, so maybe leave it a year or two for the slow kids.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

1950s Yugoslavian cartoons and season one of the flashing blade. If it were good enough for me …

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you’re planning on showing a 12 or 15 cert film to a bunch of 8 years olds, clear it with their parents first

Incredibly sensible advice there.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

stilltortoise – Member
    If you’re planning on showing a 12 or 15 cert film to a bunch of 8 years olds, clear it with their parents first
    Incredibly sensible advice there.

…if you read the very first post I made it pretty clear it has to be PG rating.

Some good films mentioned,

Keep em coming !!!

Klunk
    Free Member

Spirited Away
    Up
    Kubo and the Two Strings (Stunning Movie with a fabulous production twist)
    Sing
    The Good Dinosaur
    2016 Jungle Book (or the original)
    Zootopia
    the lego Movie

TheFlyingOx

Willow
    Short Circuit
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (best film ever made)
    Cannonball Run
    Batteries Not Included
    Stand By Me
    Wierd Science
    The Burbs
    Honey I Shrunk The Kids
    Time Bandits
    Police Academy

Cletus

Up
    Coraline
    The Corpse Bride

CountZero

Or for a very different (and very captivating) experience, any of the Hayao Miyazaki films – Ponyo and Spitited Away are perhaps the most well known.

Also My Neighbor Totoro, one of my favourite films, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Castle Cagliostro, and Howl’s Moving Castle.
    Has anyone mentioned Up?

RustySpanner

Good call on Porco Rosso for a bunch of lads, my eight year old nephew loves it.

How about A Zed And Two Noughts?
    Asleep in seconds.

CHB

My fave and part of cultural heritage is The Meaning of Life. Though save that for his 13th.
    Recently watched “How to Train your Dragon” that was good for all the family. Shrek is good too.
    Though Wall:E is one of my favourite films, it’s too slow for a bunch of 8 year olds.
    Aliens is the obvious choice, but only if Under the Skin is not available. 🙂

RustySpanner

Hmm.

Treasure Island.
    Laurel and Hardy – any of the shorts.
    The Young Sherlock Holmes was good.
    The 39 Steps.

riklegge

Bill & Ted?

nick1962
    Free Member

+1 for Coraline
    Where the wild things are
    My two 8+6 loved Honey I shrunk the kids when they saw it over the school holidays

user-removed
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s been mentioned but ‘Song of the Sea’ is unusual and brilliant. Entertains me and my four year old.

The music is better than any Disney rubbish and the visuals, the story and inherent folklore are just brilliant.

mikey74
    Free Member

At and early birthday sleepover (can’t have been much more than 8 ) we convinced my mum to hire American Werewolf in London, saying it was a comedy (mum has never been interested in movies). Needless to say, we only got about halfway through that night. However, we watched the rest the next day and enjoyed it.

Edit: the moral of this story is don’t hire American Werewolf in London for your child’s birthday.

CountZero

It’s shameful that a bunch of cyclists have so far failed to mention Belleville Rendez-vous!
    You should all be ashamed of yourselves! 😉

garage-dweller

Not seen it listed but how about….

BMX Bandits?
    Original Superman (Christopher Reeve)?

Our two liked Swallows and Amazons but they like sailing.

user-removed
    Free Member

Swallows and Amazons was a desperate dissapointment.

Read all the books, lived a mostly land-locked life in Somerset, other than the odd trip to Lyme Regis, suffered a fever as we all probably did imagining a life on the high seas, eating pemican and ships’ biscuits.

If you’ve got to choose, then perhaps something with Minions.

el_boufador

don’t show them coraline – it’s f##ing terrifying!

Our age 11 and 8 lads, (who watch all sorts) are sh1t scared of it

Stevet1
    Free Member

Watched Watership down last weekend with my 8YO after we’d read the book. He enjoyed it, my wife refused to watch.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Holes is a shout if they’ll sit still and shut up.

My Life as a Courgette
    Wall E
    Alien
    Hunt For the Wilderpeople
    Rocky

Stevet1
    Free Member

Karate kid, then you could get them to paint the house and wax your car afterwards.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I get the impression – from dipping in and out of this thread – that some people aren’t taking this very seriously 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Films for 8 year old birthday sleepover party…’ is closed to new replies.