Home Forums Chat Forum Film 4 – Star Trek marathon.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Film 4 – Star Trek marathon.
  • parkedtiger
    Free Member

Film 4 – Star Trek marathon. Is anyone aiming to get through to the end? I’ll be giving Final Frontier and Insurrection a miss I think.

Kuco

No, all the originals apart from the Wrath of Kahn are shit. Had the misfortune of watching Star Trek The Motion Picture at the cinema.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Me too. I’ve always liked it – it’s unnecessarily slow and an hour too long.

kimbers

If I didn’t have a life then happily!

I love it all the motion picture is sloooow tho

Actually watching the Tomorrow War on Prime (its making Trek look sensible so far)

jamj1974

I like the movies 1,2,3,6. The rest – not so much. The Motion Picture is a great film IMHO. It’s a very different type of Trek, more true SF than drama or action in a futuristic setting – which most of them are. Wrath of Khan is a brilliant watch and the Undiscovered Country has great pace.

johnners
    Free Member

The Wrath Of Khan is absolutely ludicrous bollocks and I love it. I think the usual recommendation is even numbers only though tbh I wouldn’t waste time on any of them apart from Khan.

kimbers

They are not showing nemesis!

But its on Paramount channel!

Kuco

I take back what I originally said, just watched Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country and really enjoyed it.

Never realised before that Michael Dorn plays Colonel Worf the grandfather of Lieutenant Worf. Also noticed the locker they stuck the magnetic boot to was the locker of Dax and I thought of Dax from DS9 and also forgot they had a shapeshifter in it played by Iman.

Daffy

1st place – First Contact VIII
    2nd place – The Undiscovered Country VI
    3rd place – The Wrath of Kahn II

neilnevill
    Free Member

Or possibly, 6, 8, 2..nah, youre right

I quite like the reboots, odds are better.

Cougar

No love for The Voyage Home? I always thought that was delightfully silly.

rOcKeTdOg

Original movie was trying to be all Stanley Kubrick but then reverted to formula at the end. It seems a bit “look at these new special effects we now have available, lets out them all in”

I saw it at the cinema when it came out, seems like only yesterday but then maybe I’m a temporal agent and it actually was!

IdleJon
    Free Member

Had the misfortune of watching Star Trek The Motion Picture at the cinema.

Same here. I was 11 and still remember how boring it was, BUT I still remember parts of the film, so it obviously made some sort of good impression. I’ve never watched it again. Maybe I should.

zilog6128

No love for The Voyage Home? I always thought that was delightfully silly.

it’s always been my favourite! Most of the subsequent films (including the awful reboots) have just revolved around battling aliens, which I find pretty tiresome and not particularly Star Trek-y (at least, as Roddenberry envisaged it) This is something a bit (very) different, is thought provoking & has a lot of character!

richmtb

If I had to put them in order from worst to best

SO SO SO BAD:
    V – Final Frontier

Bad:
    IX – Insurrection
    VII – Generations

Watchable:
    X – Nemesis
    III – Search For Spock
    I – The Motion Picture

Actually Really Good:
    IV – The Voyage Home
    VIII – First Contact
    VI – The Undiscovered Country
    II – Khan

dyna-ti

VI The undiscovered country had a great opening scene (The Praxis Explosion) especially good in the cinema.
    Saw this with a mate, both of us stoned to the bejesus, and it was pretty spectacular at that.

zilog6128

VI The undiscovered country had a great opening scene (The Praxis Explosion)

the special effect that’s so implausible it’s had a cliché named after it? 🤣

chevychase

I love The Motion Picture. Think it’s fantastic. But then I like all sorts of arthouse stuff too. It’s certainly a long way from a “crowd pleaser” but then I’m not a crowd 🙂

Cougar

Actually Really Good:
    IV – The Voyage Home
    VIII – First Contact
    VI – The Undiscovered Country
    II – Khan

2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate?

footflaps

Had the misfortune of watching Star Trek The Motion Picture at the cinema.

+1

I remember being in awe of the ship and the interior / exterior shots of it. However, film itself was dull as dishwater.

richmtb

2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate?

The thing I like about the 4 good ones is they are actually really different films. Not many franchises can say that.

Khan, is the hero / villain archetype with both the protagonists chewing the scenery

Voyage Home, is just a daft caper with the cast clearly enjoying every minute, I still love Scotty picking up a mouse “Hello Computer”

Undiscovered Country is basically just a stand alone who-dunnit film. With added Sulu as Captain of his own ship.

First Contact is pretty much a straight up action film “Prepare for ramming speed”. Although Picard misquotes Melville, but I’ll forgive him.

tjmoore

TMP Directors Edition is a big improvement. Better effects where needed, some scenes cut, edited with better pacing. It’s still a show off visual experience rather than all action but I like it (much prefer it to Star Wars action style Abrams Trek flicks).

For its time it was a wow experience given the original series and cartoons were all that existed before.

Wrath of Khan is still massively superior though even if on a much lower budget.

Anyway, Directors Edition has finally been green lit in HD (4K even), at least on streaming initially.

https://trekmovie.com/2021/07/07/star-trek-the-motion-picture-directors-edition-to-be-restored-in-4k-hdr-for-paramount/

And ST 5 is not all that bad either. Has fun moments and tongue in cheek throughout.

First four films are also getting 4K releases as a set, but not the Directors Edition on TMP yet.

https://trekmovie.com/2021/07/07/paramount-releasing-star-trek-tos-movies-4k-uhd-blu-ray-set/

kelvin

TMP still my favourite. Proper Sci Fi. Most of the others are other movie tropes wrapped up in Star Trek characters (some are arguably much more fun than TMP though).

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Film 4 – Star Trek marathon.’ is closed to new replies.