Home Forums Bike Forum Fat bike in Morzine??

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Fat bike in Morzine??
  • pimpmyride
    Free Member

Thinking of a trip to Morzine on my fat bike in Aug, just a slight bit worried that some lifts won’t be able to hook my wheel on?

Anyone have any knowledge on hook widths etc?

Cheers :)

yipee-ki-yay
    Free Member

Hmmm, good question….

nealglover
    Free Member

I would say not much chance it’ll fit.

Some of the wider DH tyres looked a tight fit on some of the lifts.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Thanks, dying to take it to Morzine! iv’e yet to find 1 single video on youtube on a fat bike in Morzine which makes me even more determined :)

pimpmyride
    Free Member

nealglover… I meant the actual hooks mate, not the 2 bars with your wheel in between.

stuey
    Free Member

Could a webbing sling / loop be carried in you pack and used to hang the wheel from on the lift?

legend
    Free Member

iv’e yet to find 1 single video on youtube on a fat bike in Morzine

There’s probably a good reason for that.

However, if you really have to be Mr Look-at-Me then you might be able to hang the bike using the frame.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

“However, if you really have to be Mr Look-at-Me” I just knew someone would be typical Mr nasty at some point.

stuey = yes, I was thinking of a strap with a simple carribina snap on attachment.

nickjb
    Free Member

It might not pop straight on some of the lifts but the lift guys will make it work. They accommodated us with dog, kids and trailer bike.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

take it yo mean in summer? why not go now? be mint! you’d have to push and pedal up tho..

pimpmyride
    Free Member

nickjb… don’t flame me mate but are you taking the p**s or are you being serious? if they will accommodate like that then I will simply make an aluminium connector just in case :)
    Would love to go now in the winter but I don’t think they would be too impressed going down at a proper resort, maybe one day off piste somewhere!

mtbel
    Free Member

of course it’ll fit.

it’d be way cheaper to just fake a video if that’s all you want

nickjb
    Free Member

Being serious. They weren’t bothered when we turned up with all that.

Tbh we only took the dog on the chair a couple of times as she was happier in the bubble. Kids and trailer bike were no issue.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

LOL! no genuinely the video is just for future laughs, ince building it the things grips like s**t to a blanket and I actually find myself riding faster and faster in to corners like a nutter! I went to Morzine 4 years ago and remember how much gravel and tight corners there was and I had to slow down, i’m thinking that yes my wrists will get a battering, and my arse will hurt but god it will be fun on a fat bike! or as Legend puts it, I hope everyone will look at me after paying £500 out and travelling to another country just for that reason.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Thanks nickjb, that’s extremely good news :)

thebiglad
    Free Member

We had a guest last year that used most of the PDS lifts with a fatbike and didn’t have any problems.

rickmeister

Friend is a bike guide out there, will ask ..

hora
    Free Member

Attention seeking in France. Will you be wearing lurid lycra too? ;) :D

smatkins1

With all that extra grip and “go anywhere-ness” surely the fun will be in riding up.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

Just ride to the top

pimpmyride
    Free Member

careful Hora! :)

Thanks rickmeister that’s very kind of you :)

pimpmyride
    Free Member

thebiglad = how did he get on mate?

pimpmyride
    Free Member

get on as in what was it like on the trails?

Stu_N

Saw a fat bikist at the bottom of the mossette lift above Les Lindarets last summer (late August). He was arguing with the lifty. Not sure how it ended.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

The majority say I will be fine and its mostly a hook on the frame so I think i’m good to go :)

Thanks guys :)

mtbel
    Free Member

Ah “smiley Peirre” the Les Lindarets lifty? Was the fat bikist trying to claim his grin was bigger?

hofnar
    Free Member

I have done it did PPDS with the option loop and some extra’s. Went back later as well. It works fine with 4 inch and 47mm rims should be ok 4.0 60mm tight fit on 80mm. on real 4.5 or 5.0 you will not get it in in some.

There are quite some lifts where the bike goes inside or is hung from the frame they will all be fine.

Avoid Les Gets main lift if they have last years supervisor he told me to never come back and that it was dangerous. Utter nonsense my bike was swaying a lot less then the others.

rickmeister

So the response is

Not sure to be honest, most would be ok I think. Reckon best bet is to send a mail to the Passport du Soleil organisers asking the question. Certainly this side no problem as its hooks. The ones in Chatel have channels the wheels slide into, they might be an issue.

Which is not an outright yes or no… the small bit of cord and a Bungee / Krab round a tyre seems a good option…

BoardinBob

You’ll be fine. It’ll fit in the pleney gondola easily.

For everything else, this year the paralysed guys (rough riders?) Were out on their cool “quad” type bikes and the lifties got them on no problem

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Brilliant guys! thanks to everyone for being so positive and informative :)
    I’ll be sure to post pics!

legend
    Free Member

Fair enough if you just want to get on it – just dont post the video here ;)

I went to Morzine 4 years ago and remember how much gravel and tight corners there was and I had to slow down

I dont get this bit though? Other than occasionally shoddy trail maintenance (that gets sweeped off in half a day) or fireroads where is all this gravel?

accu
    Free Member

I`m looking forward to the pics…
    also planning to take my fat bike with me to the alps this year..
    together with the LT HT..

pimpmyride
    Free Member

legend = your forgiven :) the parts that had too much gravel and were a bit dodgy is partly due to the fact that 4 years ago when we went out group consisted of adults and kids. We had to therfore go on some detours not normally ridden and to be honest I really didn’t enjoy my first experience of Morzine! I know crazy you say, but the holiday was somewhat out of my hands and we had to go along with what the 4 days bought :(
    My brother in law went last year and as he rightly said, “the best riding ever” I know its awesome and I can’t wait, so maybe my mind is still scarred with the crappy family friendly trails I encountered. In all honesty though I do genuinely enjoy the Fatty and it grips like crazy so I thought what better situation to really test it out other than a proper trip back to Morzine :)

Accu = I promise there will be plenty of pics :)

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike in Morzine??’ is closed to new replies.