Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • FAO Binners….
  • Saccades
    Free Member

Finally got this refurbed with modern bits and out on a spin, thought you’d like a look as your the only other person I’ve seen who had one. It’s weird to go from an Alfine HT to this after over 2.5 years.

psychle
    Free Member

How’s that work then? There’s no shock in there is there? Does the frame flex instead?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

The shock is there,Bit like a Epic,you can see it if you look closely.Other side of the wheel.

Saccades
    Free Member

heh – you don’t look like binners…

As I recall bergwerk did the original patent (with another company that name escapes me atm) and got merida to make it. The theory is that the shock movement 1:1 to the travel so that shock lasts forever and there is very little bob (this was beore platform shocks) when cycling.

I’m not sure if spec licensed the shock position before or after merida bought 49% of them, to incorporate with the brain shock from fox.

It was the first full suss to win a round of the XC world championship – in fact this bike was built the year after it won 4 rounds in a single year. The downside is that the shock is a bit near the tyre and can get grudged up – although this bike is on the original spv shock and bearings so no bother so far.

This is the long travel version, which still feels racy after the slack 456.

Saccades
    Free Member

bump…

binners

Aye oop fella

Only just spotted this. I can’t see the piccy due to the firewall where I am. I’ll have a proper look later though. And comment accordingly. Thanks for posting it up though.

I bloody loved mine. The fact that Hora absolutely hated it always encouraged me too. The scrote who stole if probably liked the look of it too

This is the long travel version, which still feels racy after the slack 456.

Not if you bung a pair of 160mm Bombers on it. Racy wasn’t the word. Bloody good fun though 😀

binners

Right. I can see it now. That looks lovely fella. It looks a very similar set up to mine. I only put the daft forks on a couple of weeks before it got nicked. Had them wound down to 135, which seemed to work

I’d have another one tomorrow. They’re perfect for all day riding. And climb like a hardtail.

I still keep a look out for mine. I thought it might turn up with it being such an oddity. I’ve only seen mine, another one and now yours

How was the christening ride then? From the photo’s, that looks like perfect territory for it

Saccades
    Free Member

The fact that Hora absolutely hated it always encouraged me too

Hah, that encourages me too! What is there to hate though? (about the bike)…

I had the vomit green Carrera Bugaboo cheap version (with the chainstay flaw) and loved it loads, ended up swopping it for some brakes when my head was turned by a Blur frame. The Blur was good but ate bearing like a fat woman’s arse eats thongs so I was going to get the carrera back from where it was hanging up unused when I saw this frame up for sale.

Had to play with it a bit to get the set up to hit the sweet spot between too HT and too plush for what I wanted, but once that was done it’s ace – I remember why I loved it so much in the first place. It can go way faster on the downs than I’m comfortable with and then giving you a nice solid climbing ability on the ups. Was only at a trail centre at the weekend so going to give a bit more of a test next weekend if the weather is good and go around brockagh and camaderry.

I can’t imagine it with 160mm forks, in fact I doubt I’d ever get to use them to their full ability, those pace are 130 and I use the launch control to 100mm for climbs and it really feels like I’m falling up the hill. At 130 it feels “right” but then I’m comparing it to a 456 that’s set up slack.

I’ve regularly been looking for another frame for spares (a new dt swiss shock is the wrong side of 400 yoyo and not seen a replacement Manitou SPV) and not seen any for sale in any of the regular places. I keep meaning to contact atomic bikes to see about getting a coupla of derailuer dropouts as a JIC.

binners

Hora hated it because

a) It didn’t have a boutique name down the frame
    b) It was yellow
    c) The top tube was too long, apparently
    d) He’s knows nob all!!

Hi Hora *waves*

I had the earlier Carrera too. I managed to shear the frame through the rear pivot. I wasn’t the only one apparently. I sold it to one of my mates (after fitting the upgraded subframe) and Its still going strong after years of abuse. I fancied another one when I saw this one though. Much better with the SPV back shock

I’ll have a look when I get home. I’m sure I had at least one spare mech hanger knocking about. Try phoning Merida direct though. Their customer service is absolutely top notch.

Saccades
    Free Member

Yeah, my chainstay set broke too – it’s actually the reason I got my first on-one, I asked on here if that meant it was curtains for the bike and the combined wisdom was that it was dead and that I wouldn’t be able to get spare parts from halfords for it.

Brant was half cut on whisky and offered me a inbred at crash replacement price to keep me cycling – which was nice.

Later I found out (on BM I think) that spares were available and it cost me £50 to get a new chainstay and I spent another £30 for the coil upgrade for the A-shock, the chainstay even came with a spare hanger. That was from mukshop which doesn’t exist anymore, will have to have a proper look for their details.

So I was then on the slippery slope of owning 2 bikes. The Carrera was swopped with STW pro rider for brakes and was then taken to GC where he said it was very fast and nice to ride but a little short in the top tube (i presume the carrera top tube is shorter than the merida one… 😉 Still sat in his shed looking very green.

If you have a spare hanger that would be great! No worries/hurries though. I did find a place that are supposed to be the official spv/lrs service centre but the website didn’t inspire me with confidence (think flooks does them as well) but they don’t carry spares.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘FAO Binners….’ is closed to new replies.