Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Family Camper Bike Van aka 6 months of not riding or anything else
  • tomaso
    Free Member

Lets get a new campervan she said. Lets build a campervan, you can do it, she said. So in late January I sold a MWB Sprinter and bought an enormous Ducato Maxi in L4H3. I’ve spent most weekends and evenings since then vanning.

It was just a dirty panel van to start with

Then it got windows, skylights and insulation

A floor

Holes in sides, floor and roof

Bunk beds and a boot

Bike boot shelves

Fancy front seats and electrics

I hate electrics

More holes and a heater

A kitchen

Things started to take shape

White painted metal began to disappear almost entirely

Soft furnishings started to go in last weekend

Just got a single A4 sheet of jobs to do before we leave on Sunday for month of continental family fun.

Sandwich

As a chap of advancing years ‘continental fun’ raised a smirk here. Van looks good.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Like that a lot.

JEngledow
    Free Member

More pictures please, is there a beer (or brew) in every pic as I can’t find one in a few?

postierich
    Free Member

yellow!!!!!!!

🙂 fine effort sir hope it gives you plenty of miles and smiles

dave661350

Excellent, Hope you finish it sufficiently for a decent trip.

AlexSimon

Superb work!
    Hoping to do the same (maybe not the H3) when funds allow – need to get a move on really as my boys are growing up fast.

Details on main double bed please?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Absolutely fantastic.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks for sharing the project

chaos

Is that beer or champagne in the penultimate pic?

Great effort! I was firmly told by my other half that any home-made efforts would be far too amateurish so had to send ours off to a ‘proper’ van doing up place.

tomaso
    Free Member

It is a large bottle of Leffe.

Some colour and soft furnishings going in now.

tymbian
    Free Member

Fantastic. I’ve just bought a 59 plate LWB Sprinter for the same shenanigans. I’ll start a new thread soon. It’s going to be a drawn out long drawn-out affair though and has to be built as a van that I can use in the week for my carpentry/ building business. With this in mind the ability to carry 8×4 sheets and long timbers poses it’s own hurdles. For the rear I was thinking 2 single beds that fold up and away into the sides but form a double in the down position..
    I’m not looking forward to the electrics

tomaso
    Free Member

The electrics are daunting. I bought a Sargent kit and discarded the split charge for a heavy duty one. It made the wiring more straight forward and slightly neater.

I would recommend lots of reading research and planning. I liked a guy called Deep Red Motorhomes well explained deliberations and Mike D of this parishes thread STW thread

tomaso
    Free Member

At Dover waiting for ferry and then a slight change of plan as we are heading for Les Gets not Morzine.
    Van as finished as it can be. Let the holidays begin!

AlexSimon

Like the way you’ve got the drill ready 😉

AlexSimon

Bon voyage!

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Rather worryingly the drill has replaced the beer! Great work though.

tomaso
    Free Member

Doesn’t everyone take a drilling holiday?

Cruised down to the Alps and stopped for a damilyswim in Lons le Saunier.

No on Les Gets with an old Mtb buddy and going to hit the life and trails

AlexSimon

Really jealous. This time last year, I thought I’d be doing that.
    Then I realised that vans were a bit dearer than I thought 🙁

Mike_D
    Free Member

Nice. Simple but effective, and full marks for speed – we’ve had ours 2.5 years and it’s not finished 🙂 I like the plastic crate storage. Happy to have vaguely helped by proxy 😉

(Should probably update my own thread at some point…)

Mike_D
    Free Member

tymbian: Ours has a hatch under the bottom bunk and will still carry 4m lengths of timber. Ply sheets can be persuaded into the aisle via the side door (just). How many berths do you need? I did have all sorts of grand flip-up bunk/full-height bulkhead hatch ideas for carrying big stuff, but decided the need wasn’t worth the effort 🙂

Alex: Get on with it 🙂

AlexSimon

😀 How the hell did you find a van so cheap?
    All the ones I see anywhere south of £7k have over 180,000 on the clock!

Mike_D
    Free Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262406281207 – and you’d get a few hundred quid back selling on the ramp/winch/hand washer/etc 🙂

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Now that’s a van I’d like ????????

AlexSimon

I haven’t got £9,500 unfortunately 🙁
    I’d also need another £2000+ on top to convert – I haven’t got that either 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

How many shiny pennies on the interior ?

Cooker sink(hot water?) fridge heater oven/grill ??

Hoping to do something next year

lowey

Thats bloody brilliant!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If only I had the money to buy that and keep it running and/or the skills to do a refurb like that… Looks great! 🙂

tomaso
    Free Member

Thanks for the nice comments.

The van is basic and to our needs, so no hot water or shower. It does have solar, hook up, full 12v and 240v, lpg underslung tank, underslung water tanks, fridge hob and sink.

Van was £4k and fit out probably £6k as it all adds up. In fact I would recommend a dull spreadsheet with build items and costs. A bit like a bike build the costs can quickly get quite high!

trail_rat
    Free Member

cheers for that tomaso , i had budgeted 8k for the fittings/fixtures so its good to see im ballpark …. but im having a heater as it will be used year round – im also having a pull out awning off the side – which is pricy for one that will last.

Showers have no place inside vans like this – theres not enough room(im aware that some others have done it ….but i would rather have my bikes inside) – if i get my hot water dream i MAY plumb an outlet up on the outside of the van what can be used as a shower….. or i may go simple with a solar shower.

Mike_D
    Free Member

Plenty of room for a washroom/shower and inside bike storage in a 6.4m van 🙂

Alex: Forgot the VAT, oops 🙁

AlexSimon

Alex: Forgot the VAT, oops

It’s a very annoying aspect of van purchasing 🙁

tomcrow99

You just need to keep your eyes peeled, I was looking for about 6 weeks when a LWB 59 plate Citroen Relay turned up on Gumtree on the other side of my village. 55k miles for £6500 with VAT paid. Didn’t hang around! The AA history check is well worth the money also, I was surprised by the amount of written off vans!

trail_rat
    Free Member

ave seen your build mike D its very good but i want space 😀

A bear does shit in the woods around here 😀

tomaso
    Free Member

Week 3 of 4 nearly over and having a great time. Now in the Cevennes in the gorges du Tarn.

Not gotuch mountain biking done as I fell of a ladder the day before departure and goosed my little finger – it still looks a bit like a Cumberland sausage…

epicsteve
    Free Member

Very nice – always impressed when people have the skills to do something like that, as unfortunately I don’t. We just got back from a 3 week motorhoming trip around Germany and France ourselves – always fun.

tomaso
    Free Member

Last week of holiday and van has been great, even though my work was untested!
    Gorges du Tarn are fabulous with some decent riding and great swimming.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

God damn I wish I had the manual skills to do something like that with that sort of finish.

Proper jealous, I keep looking at LWB/MWB vans and get converted but it’s not cheap as you mentioned and that was doing it yourself.

AlexSimon

Great to see you out and about in it!
    We could do with an update from MikeD too!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Family Camper Bike Van aka 6 months of not riding or anything else’ is closed to new replies.