Home Forums Bike Forum Fairlight Strael vs Mason Definition

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fairlight Strael vs Mason Definition
  • chribabe
    Free Member

Hey all

I am new to the forum and would like to ask the question what you think. I currently have a Fairlight Secan Gravel Bike and would like to build up a road bike (should be lighter than my secan). The fairlight strael is ranked 5 stars on road.cc but since I already have a fairlight, I thought maybe its too similar to the Secan. On the other hand there is the Mason definition with an aluminium frame which should feel quite different from the secan. I guess the Definition is much easier the to build up light than the strael.

What do you think? Is somebody in this forum which ride on both models, the Definition and the Strael?

Cheers,
    Christian

petefromearth

I have a Definition and love it. It’s every bit as comfortable to ride as other steel road bikes I’ve had, although I have not specifically ridden the Strael to compare it with. There’s obviously a small weight difference too, half a kilo maybe, though my Mason is about a kilo heavier than the bike it replaced which was carbon.

I did consider the Strael and the ones I’ve seen in the flesh are lovely. To be honest it was partly stock and lead times that swung it, as I bought it during the COVID parts shortage.

Also due to their sizing I would have ended up with a 58T which looked rather gate-like in the photos. Curse of being tall I guess, but the Mason in a 58 looks better IMO.

They’re both lovely bikes, don’t think you will disappointed with either.

wait4me

I’ve got a Secan and a Strael (in 58T gate size 🤣), and would agree if you had same wheels and tires on both I’d be hard pressed to feel much difference. That said I’ve never been one for forensic analysis of my bikes. The Strael is a joy though, it amazes me how I can jump on it with 28mm 4 seasons and the level of comfort is not far off the Secan with 42mm gravel kings.

I ordered mine specifically because I wanted a similar feel and position on the bike, also went for fairly heavy wheels as it’s primarily a winter road bike with PDW mudguards fitted. So agree, if you’re after something a little different the Mason might be the way to go.

susepic

I’ve been browsing Fairlight and Mason as well. If you’re thinking Strael, aren’t you better looking at the Mason Resolution? Lots of lovely columbus tubed loveliness.
    And why not take a look at the Condor site and the Acciaio(sp) – more steel frame all rounders

P20

I’ve been tempted by the strael having found my Secan to be tremendous. The biggest thing for me was the fit of the Secan, so much better and comfortable for my ageing neck.
    My current road bike is doing a good enough job to mean I can’t really justify changing.

ransos
    Free Member

My Definition is from the original 2015 batch. I’ve put many thousands of miles on it and it still makes me smile.

felltop

I also have both a Strael and Secan (in 58T gate size). I run the Strael with 28 or 30mm tyres, the Secan with 43mm Gravel Kings on 700c wheels or 2.2 inch Ikons on 650b. The Strael certainly feels more sprightly on the road, but I suspect that’s mainly down to the build, rather than major differences in the frame. The Strael is a supremely comfortable mile muncher on the road, and the fit is perfect for me.

chribabe
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone for their replies! I think too that the difference of the Secan and Strael frame is not that large. The geometry is slightly different and the frameset about 200g lighter or so. If I would go for another steel frame for a road bike I would definitely go for the strael, since the secan fits so good. The Mason Resolution is heavier than the strael! I thought that the Mason definition would give me a more springy feeling since its an aluminium frame! Of course I also looked at Condor, but as said, for steel frames I would definitely go for fairlight, since those frames are so comfortable to ride. The road bike I want to build should be comfortable as well, but should be more on the sportive side! Lets see, it will take me some time to figure out which one would be the best fit for me ;)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.