Home Forums Chat Forum European mountain destinations for walking – not Alps

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • European mountain destinations for walking – not Alps
  • rascal
    Free Member

4 of us going on a boys booze/walking weekend at end of April.

Considering these locations:

High Tatras in Poland/Slovakia – seems to be winning ATM.
    Pyrenees.
    Picos de Europa (northern Spain).
    Sierra Nevada (southern Spain).

Things to consider:
    None of us are mountaineers/climbers – just like walking in hilly areas.
    Flight availability – ideally from a central-ish airport – and travel distances either end.
    Looking to rent a house/lodge/cottage so have a base as opposed to backpacking/carrying everything for 3 days.
    Tatras/Picos top out at around 8000′ so way bigger than anything here but not massive. Start at 4000′-ish so easy top would be doable in a day. Maybe not even top out but just be in awesome mountainous terrain.

Anyone done any walking in these areas…or any other destinations we haven’t considered?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Southern Alps any good?

Serre Chevalier.

Stunning mountains, superb food. Close to Turin.

alpin
    Free Member

Was in the Pyrenees the other month. Went from the Atlantic to the Med criss crossing between France and Spain. Really taken by the place. Lots of great riding and will signposted trails.
    Great variety of environments from lush green to really arid.

I’ll be going back there with the bike again.

Or what about Sicily? Was there last December for three weeks. Big island with loads of proper mountains and landscapes…. and obviously loads of history. Walk through lava fields on Etna. Long coastal walks along the cliffs on three western tip (spent Christmas Day walking here… was beautiful). Food is pretty feffing awesome, too.

Big mountains in Calabria, too.

In fact most of Italy is pretty mountainous.

slowster
    Free Member

end of April…None of us are mountaineers/climbers – just like walking in hilly areas.

Have you checked what the typical weather/temperatures and snowline are at that time of year in the places you have shortlisted?

Without checking myself, I would have thought that the southern Medditerranean would be a better bet for the weather and conditions at that time of year, e.g. Sicily as per Alpin’s suggestion, Corsica or Greece. For me, the food would make Sicily the most attractive option.

csb
    Free Member

Spent some time in picos. Proper mountains as you say, much of it very remote. Lacks the tourist infrastructure of the Alps or Pyrenees, with just a few villages with local shops and hotels. Some gorgeous walking above soto de sajambre and arena de cabrales. Cable up from Fuentes de would get you to serious mountain territory.

tjagain

slovenia?

colp

The Austrian Alps cover everything in your list.
    Hochkoenig area 1 hr from Salzburg airport.
    Villages at 800 to 1000 metres, peaks around 1500 to 3000.
    Beer €4 pint.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Saxony Switzerland? Tetras could well have snow at higher levels in April. Saxony Switzerland isn’t anywhere near as high but it is a stunning area for walking plus over the border in the Czech Republic the beer is cheap!

alpin
    Free Member

If I were the OP I’d not be looking at anywhere North of the Alps given the time of year he wants to travel.

huws
    Free Member

I travelled around Central Europe last May to a few mountain ranges.
    Czech Republic, sumava national park. Below zero at night (wild camping) and still a bit of snow around. Lovely walking though on the plentiful xc skiing routes.
    Poland, High Tatras. Near zakopane. Lovely and not too cold. Zakopane is a shit hole though.
    Slovakia. Low Tatras. Wet as hell with bears and wolves. Very remote.
    Austria, Kaprun. Snow up high rain and sleet lower down. Probably the closest I’ve come to needing mountain rescue through my own utter stupidity. Very bad idea to try and walk off the mountain.

If it was me I’d be heading much further south in April. Possibly Corsica or Sardinia.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above End-April a bit risky for Alps potentially. I have even found the top of Ventoux closed in mid-April due to snow !

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Corsica doing sections of the GR20. One of the best mountain walks in Europe, well signposted, spectacular views and just about the right technical challenge for walkers rather than mountaineers. Can easily stay in a nice coastal area with bars and restaurants and do day hikes anywhere along the spine of the island with the use of a hire car.

Stainypants

North Mallorca plenty of walking for 3-4 days, warm and quiet at that time of year

TheDTs
    Free Member

Morrocco, good walking and a different culture.
    Madeira the lavadas are quite nice according to my folks, some quite exposed

Keva
    Free Member

We’ve just got back from a two seek hiking holiday in Corsica, it was superb. A couple of years ago we did the same in Austria, stayed in Sankt Johan, that was great too.

ElShalimo

Nearly all these places will still have a considerable amount of snow up high in April. The ski season runs to the end of April so that should refresh your perspective.

Some other lower options:
    Sierra de Grazalema, Andalucia
    Sierra de Gredos & Somiedo National park, Spain
    Karawanken, Austria
    Vosges or Jura mountains, France
    Black Forest, Germany

Swiss Saxony area mentioned above are not really mountains. More like isolated sandstone monoliths near the Elbe river. Very pretty when not raining but once you’ve been to The Bastei and Königstein, there’s not much else there.

The Mercantour area near Nice is another option IF the snow has gone.

kormoran
    Free Member

As has been said there will be extensive snow at that time of year. Here’s a link to alpine Guides calendar of trips – the month of april is fully packed with tours

April[/url]

I have come across massive amounts of snow even in June. Too much snow for the GR20 is not uncommon in May

Your best bet for 100% no snow guarantee is Scotland, obviously :(

ElShalimo

Crete & Majorca are also options

yiman
    Free Member

Lake District or Scotland….making British holidays in the rain Great again…..

alpin
    Free Member

Swiss Saxony area mentioned above are not really mountains. More like isolated sandstone monoliths near the Elbe river. Very pretty when not raining but once you’ve been to The Bastei and Königstein, there’s not much else there.

Yup, this… Very picturesque and interesting landscape, but not much in the way of elevation.
    I think the Swiss guy who coined it must have been very homesick.*

Was in the area a few years back and was struck by how dilapidated many of the villages are away from the touristy bits.

You do however get to see a great variety of NPD posters that you don’t see elsewhere.

* if you ever make it to Mecklenburgische Schweiz you’ll ask yourself whether the guy who name it had ever been to Switzerland.

OP, if you want day walks seriously have a look at Cinque Terre, Liguria. Walk out from your accommodation, walk along the coast, awesome food at some restaurant and the train back.

Was there this year in April and it was warm enough to swim.

anagallis_arvensis

Slovenia is a good shout

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘European mountain destinations for walking – not Alps’ is closed to new replies.