Home Forums Bike Forum Eurooo guided bike holidays- what’s hot for 2024?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Eurooo guided bike holidays- what’s hot for 2024?
  • johnny

Hi all, looking for recommendations of riding/guiding desinations and companies for next year. I and some pals did a fair few of these until the pandemic and it’s died down a little since, so I’d like to plan something for late June/early July next year.

Been to Morzine, etc but my preference is for something a bit more out of the way, guided, with some great riding. Very open regarding location too- would like something Alpine, but not mega busy. The main thing is for more natural, guided descending over bikepark stuff.

In the past we’ve done, and really enjoyed:

Chatel/Morzine/PDS (self guided)

Verbier/ random contacts for guiding

Freeride Molini (now defunct?)

Ride Slovenia

Basque MTB

Weride.pt (Sintra, Portugal)

Thanks in advance!

EDIT- Just read the Madiera thread on here, and that would be a great option- one of our gang doesnt do flying though, so that is a consideration… that sort of thing would be great though!

v7fmp

Not alpine, but Finale Ligure and Finale Pietra are awesome.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Some of these look excellent – some of them on the the trans variata race route, some not.

Trips

I keep finding myself looking at the moilini and aosta tours with atlas ride co (née mtb beds) https://www.atlasrideco.com/destinations/italy/molini/mtb-grand-tour

Kramer
    Free Member

Whiteroom Backcountry week. September is best because the snow has gone from the high alpine areas.

Epic natural singletrack. Oodles of it. Both types, steep and techy.

Great food, comfy chalet, sarcastic guides.

Those that know, know.

Only problem is that one week isn’t enough.

MSP

IME basquemtb has been the gold standard for guiding.

Ash from transprovence and also trailadiction were pretty good but I don’t know if they still do guiding.

I definatly want to head baxk to the basque country with basquemtb within the next coupel of years, and les arcs probably with someone i haven’t tried before (whiteroom or bikevillage).

sharkattack

Following. I’m particularly interested in anything open/warm in deepest, darkest February.

Kramer
    Free Member

Following. I’m particularly interested in anything open/warm in deepest, darkest February.

Finale surely?

alpin
    Free Member

Finale surely?

Don’t it’ll be that warm. Last time I was there in February it was snowing.

Somewhere southern Spain?

nickc

IME basquemtb has been the gold standard for guiding.

Doug and his mob have pretty much spoiled it for me. I compare everything to them, and pretty much everything else from the riding to the guides comes a distant second. It might very well be that when the group decided that we’d actually want to is go ocean sailing on our day off, he made it happen.

I think I’ve pretty much decided I’m going back next year, I just need to be fit and find the money.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Somewhere southern Spain?

Switchbacks in Malaga? Depends if you like uplifts or not. For me I’d rather have done a few ‘big’ rides in the week as well as the novelty wore off being in the van all day. I’d be tempted to go back and either plan a 2-3 day bike packing ride or see if they could recommend / drop off somewhere for some self guided XC.

Bubion is much nicer for the Summer.

onehundredthidiot

Whiterooms is great, guaranteed fun, good food and nice chalet.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Having written that I think there’s a gap in the market there. Decent winter XC/Trail riding.

Downhill/enduro has Finale and Malaga. Roadies are spoilt for choice with the Balearics, Canaries, etc. Somewhere like that with empty hotels and a decent network of trails?

tourismo

Bike Village would tick pretty much all your boxes.

johnny

Thanks all. For those looking for trips in Feb, would Blacktown trails in Madrid suit? Usually coldish, but dry round there I think?

Sandwich

Madrid can be chuffing cold not just cold-ish as it’s at 700m above sea level and the wind is lazy and doesn’t go around you just through.

alpin
    Free Member

Decent winter XC/Trail riding.

Massa Marittima. Follonica.

johnny

What would Massa Marittima be like in the summer? I like hot weather riding, doesn’t faze me.

I’m currently split between some proper big alpine style riding, such as Whiteroom backcountry, or somewhere a bit more novel. Probably the riding I’ve enjoyed the most was Slovenia, partially because i had few expectations and it was a totally new destination for me.

fathomer

Another vote for White Room, if there’s a few of you, they’ll probably give your group a guide and you’ll pretty much do the type of riding you want. I’ve been 3 times on the Classic Singletrack week and done very little bike park stuff.

Steveo and the gang are great guides, the ridings amazing and the food is really, really good (and plentiful).

I do want to go again and do a back country week though.

mtnboarder

Also Whiteroom here- 4 of us this year and we had Stevo guiding us for the week. Stunning chalet and food, great varied riding and a fantastic atmosphere.

Guides go above and beyond- one loaned a guest the brake off his own bike and rode with only one brake for the day after a mechanical.

Interested in Slovenia though, mainly for the chance to do the Black Hole trail which looks fun- any recommendations? Prefer minimal climbing, so an uplift based trip would be key!

chakaping

I haven’t used a guided outfit, but the riding around Aosta is amazing and was the highlight of my trip to the Alps last month.

It’s usually sunny and the food is Italian as well.

stumpy01

Are we talking just going down? Or happy to do a decent amount of climbing too?

Surprised there’s been no mention of Ciclo Montana.
    Amazing location with great accommodation. Marco & Jackie are great hosts/guides and it’s a very enjoyable week away.

Will be super-hot in the summer though. We went one year in July as it was the only time we could squeeze in & it was proper warm – did an urban over-nighter to Granada & it was 42deg. C as we rolled into Granada.

https://ciclomontana.com/

Tracey

Not been back a week from Finale and already putting together next years trips.

First one is looking like Les Arcs, Aosta Valley and Verbier, only got one run in this year before Kevins incident, with a couple of days filtered in between. Tignes/La Thuile

As above Aosta Valley has some amazing trails away from the Pila ones but be aware of the guided tours. We got stung a few years ago when we booked on a tour and when we turned up the others on it had cancelled and the option was not to do it or pay for the full 8 for the day. Cost us four times what we though it was.  Tour was first class and included quite a bit of climbing, 2 hours from the shuttle drop off to the first downhill. Firm have now changed how they advertise it to ensure you know what your paying for

Anyone know ir the funicular will be ok for next year

Sept will be back to Finale and some more exploring in SE France

At some point would like to get back to the Ainsa, the  Dolomites and Slovenia but won’t be next year

alpin
    Free Member

What would Massa Marittima be like in the summer? I like hot weather riding, doesn’t faze me.

Hot. Like high 30s.

As above Aosta Valley has some amazing trails away from the Pila ones but be aware of the guided tours. We got stung a few years ago when we booked on a tour and when we turned up the others on it had cancelled and the option was not to do it or pay for the full 8 for the day. Cost us four times what we though it was.

That’s proper rough!

Although there are some great descents from the bike park back to Aosta. Nearly had a big off there a few weeks back. Got lucky and only had a bruised toe.

Interested in Slovenia though, mainly for the chance to do the Black Hole trail which looks fun- any recommendations? Prefer minimal climbing, so an uplift based trip would be key!

Met a group of Slovenians in Morzine. They said there was very little up lift in Slovenia. Kranska Gora and a few shuttles. The Jamnica is a trail centre where you have to pedal up.

How about Vinschgau, South Tirol? It’s a good base, albeit either shuttle or pedal up. More natural trails. There is Reschen up the top of the valley with lifts. Again, more natural/enduro than bike park. Paganella, Kronplatz as well as Bozen/Bolzano are not far away for some big lift assisted days. Plus it’s Italy so the food is good and the wine cheaper than beer!

chakaping

there are some great descents from the bike park back to Aosta

The freeride track is still awesome, but I couldn’t believe 21B and some of the other tracks were just as good or better.

alpin
    Free Member

21b…. The gully. Great trail….

That’s the one I nearly spannered myself on.

19 from the top is also worth the effort.

If you’re in the area, pay a visit to ABC bike shop in Gressan. Cianci and Didier are top bloke and happy to help with lots of info.

chakaping

19 from the top is also worth the effort.

Is that where you traverse right from the Chamole ridgeline, hike-a-bike round a little cliff, and then drop down to Cretes? The last bits of that were the best of the trip.

If you’re in the area, pay a visit to ABC bike shop in Gressan. Cianci and Didier are top bloke and happy to help with lots of info.

Noted for next time, ta.

bikenski
    Free Member

Freeride Molini (now defunct?)

Molinimtb and Atipico are the main current companies running uplifts/guided trips.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.