Home Forums Chat Forum Erm…What 2+2 coupe?

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Erm…What 2+2 coupe?
  • TiRed

Alfa Romeo GT. Based on the 156. More reliable than you’d expect. You will struggle to get the even more achingly beautiful Brera for that money. Almost bought one new, but the depreciation was merciless. That won’t be a problem now.

a11y

You will struggle to get the even more achingly beautiful Brera for that money.

I shouldn’t have looked: 3.2 Brera for £5k

Edit: ignore that, I just read further in the description – £1,800 estimate to get it through it’s MOT this month…

BadlyWiredDog

Volkswagen Corrado?
    Corrado

You’d want a VR6 not a 16v and honestly, although they’re entertaining to drive and make a nice noise, it will eat your budget, spit it out, then eat it again in rare, impossible to source parts. Stuff like trim is increasingly hard to find. Headlights go for insane money. Things like the brake master cylinder are no longer made – I had to have mine refurbed – and if the timing chains haven’t been done, that’ll cost a small fortune with someone who knows what they’re doing. And don’t mention the sun-roof… But they are nice cars to drive and increasingly unusual.

dudeofdoom

Unless you don’t mind spannering or have deep pockets a 40yr old car might prove to be a bit of a pain. They were galvanised but it was a long time ago. They’re pretty resilient things but can hide a world of pain.

I gave my mate a 944s ,his repair bills for getting some of the panel work derotted has been eye watering I think 1-2x your 5k.

That was after the plastic timing chain guide had managed to disintegrate causing a minor bit of engine self destruction, even spannering that himself there was a lot of issues getting someone to weld a piece of the head which was broken off of the used replacement he’d sourced which wasn’t in the greatest condition before the delivery company dropped it.

jamesoz

Yeah, the 944s doesn’t have a great rep, the tensioner slipper was never a service part. Plus the later cars seemed more rot prone.

I briefly ran a 968 (also has the slipper thingy) engine in an 89 2.7 but rot got to it badly. Looked fine from the outside but the sills were only held together by the Wurth stone chip paint.
    I scrapped it and bought a cosmetically worse 86 turbo which was in bits.
    It’s still cosmetically crap but goes rather well.

dudeofdoom

I suppose it really needs pics

F218 LVW or DoDs old love machine :-)

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.