Home Forums Chat Forum Erm…What 2+2 coupe?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Erm…What 2+2 coupe?
  • stonster
    Free Member

So I’m looking for ideas from the forum hive mind.
    Looking for ideas for a 2+2 coupe for a second car…Fancy something a bit more interesting/ less practical in my life.

– Not necessary hardest core driving experience. Prefer something that’s a good cruiser
    – Needs to have a bit of style (I get that this is a bit subjective…but not a 2 door corolla!)
    – Budget is about 5k
    – Has to be a 2+2 for occasional child ferrying
    – Otherwise used for commuting a couple of days a week, so needs to be reasonably reliable…
    – Ideally ULEZ compliant

Thoughts so far:
    – Peugeot RCZ…but it’s a bit unreliable by accounts
    – VW sirocco … but it’s a bit dull
    – Ford Puma 1.7…but…rust. Though if I could find a rust free, treated one?

That’s all the ideas I have. Not a stealth fishing request, btw, I just really want some more ideas…

a11y

BMW 6-series? Definitely subjective for style but I love the look. Also the convertible version available if that floats your boat. Proper amount of space in the back seats for 2 as well.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303064968606?advertising-location=at_cars&atmobcid=soc5&include-delivery-option=on&make=BMW&model=6%20Series&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&price-to=7000&radius=1500&sort=mileage

doomanic

Audi TT?

andybrad

TT or RX8

docrobster
    Free Member

Had a puma. X reg. Bought it at 3 years old and kept it for 8. The most fun per £ car I’ve ever owned. Our kids were 5 and 2 when I got it. Could just squeeze us all in. Or if not I could get a bike in with wheels off. Not sure that would be possible with a lls 29er… The rear arches rusted. The air con packed up. Other than that it never let me down. If I could buy that low mileage 3 year old car again tomorrow I would.
    I replaced it with a Mazda RX8. Funky rear doors and rwd. Amazing to drive if you really wanted to ring its neck on b roads. But dull below 4000rpm and you can’t put a bike in the back. I sold it after a year because of the 17mpg and £450 a year road fund licence. It was my daily driver only about 8000 miles a year but 4000 miles a year too many. Perfect second car. Dunno about ulez though…
    Neighbour had an rcz and liked it. I think they look cool. Then he retired and has bought a Lexus rc300h. That is lurvly but also £££

teethgrinder

I’d have another Rover Coupe Turbo in a heartbeat. No idea if ULEZ though.

the-muffin-man

LOL – this is me at the minute!

Not sure if ULEZ, but…

Audi TT is the obvious one.

C Class Mercs are available at this price too…
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303064939051?advertising-location=at_cars&sort=price-desc&radius=1500&make=Mercedes-Benz&postcode=s417up&body-type=Coupe&model=C%20Class&include-delivery-option=on&fuel-type=Petrol&price-to=5500&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&page=1

I’m currently running around in a FN2 Civic Type R – I keep looking but struggle to find something as fun and practical to replace it with. You could get a nice sorted one for £5k. Looks are marmite though and cruising is a bit frenzied(!), you pull over 4000 revs at 70mph on motorways. And according to TfL ULEZ compliant.

the-muffin-man

You’d struggle find a nice one under £5k now though.

docrobster
    Free Member
    the-muffin-man

…he said reliable!! 🤣🤣

docrobster
    Free Member

A mate of mine had a fiat coupe turbo around 1999/2000. He had graduated from golf gti 16v etc etc. I always thought it looked stunning.
    Agreed I wouldn’t want to risk owning one now though!

chakaping

A couple of my friends had the Fiat Coupes. Yes they were stunning but not terribly reliable even when new IIRC.

I had a Mk2 Scirocco, way slower and less refined – but arguably almost as nice to look at?

Anyway, back to the OP…

Toyota Celica?

Does look a lot better than a Corolla but hopefully similar in reliability.

nwgiles

2 series bmw, all manner of silly engines available

sharkattack

Suzuki Jimny

kiwijohn

406 V6.
    I test drove one second hand when it was $45k & again ten years later when it was $10k. Still would if I had room to keep it.

mert
    Free Member

More worried about their penchant for going sideways.

They used to be on the company car scheme at a place i worked, rumour was they kept upping the minimum age to get one, until it maxed out at 30. Because they were loosing a handful a month to ditches.
    Then they took it off altogether. (And stopped making it soon after.)

To put it into perspective, a couple of years later when i joined aged 26, i could have got a 550bhp RWD sports saloon on the same scheme, no issues (well, except for the lease being about half my salary).

P20

Audi A5?

onewheelgood

£2290. Saw one of these yesterday and thought what a nice little car it was. Somewhat shocked to find out that production stopped in 2006.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Alfa Romeo Brera – best looking car for the money, rear space is crap but you can wedge some kids in if you have to.

3.2 v6 q4 – heavy, not that fast, tax is silly, does crap mpg, isn’t a proper Busso v6 but it’s still better than the fwd cars imo.

Used ours to tow the race car, was also pretty handy around Donington Park in the wet.

Sensible 2.2

Less sensible v6

Opposite of the Alfa but what about a BMW E92 335i? Great engine, reliable, well built but bit dull looking. Can be properly quick with minor mods.

BMW 335i

hot_fiat

180bhp Megane coupe? £5k would get you a 60-plate with not astronomical miles. Handle amazingly. Not really a coupe – more a compromised hatch.

Brera’s a good shout. Handy with spanners OP?

kayjay

I’ve had 2 Audi TT, the back seats are really just for decoration, especially the one behind the driver. Very limited headroom too. Lovely cars to drive though, I’d still have one if you could get an mtb in the back of it… You can get a road bike in tho.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Had a toyota celica for quite a few years. loved it

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Volvo C30? Questionable looks from the rear but the T5 variant will make up for that 🙂

Daffy

nwgiles
    Free Member
    2 series bmw, all manner of silly engines available

£5k?

Audi A4 would make a better cruiser than a TT. BMW 3 series E92 Coupe/Cabrio? Mercedes CLK 350? The last one might be too much of an old man stretch.

Daffy

The Celica is NOT a cruiser, especially with the T-sport. The engine is at 3500-4000rpm at motorway speeds and the sound deading is minimal. over 6200RPm it’s a real hoot, but below that it’s merely okay.

stonster
    Free Member

Some good ideas here. (Apart from the Rover coupe 😬)
    I’d thought all TT were 2 seats only, but that’s just the roadsters. Could be a good shout. And a Celica as well… A bit less obvious than a TT.

Not too much if a mechanic though so probably not the brera.

Can’t be too showy or big, which probably rules out BMW or Merc…

5lab
    Free Member

Porsche 924 or (maybe) 944?

The advantage of hatched back coupes is you can normally get bikes in them.

If you’re tall you may struggle to get even kids behind you in most 2+2s, but they work well as 1+2 with both kids on the passenger side.

Jag, BMW 1/3/4/6/8 series, Volvo C70, Audi A5 might all be within budget

jamesfts
    Free Member

Not too much if a mechanic though so probably not the brera.

Why would you need to be a mechanic? No more or less reliable than anything else mentioned.

Left field option but what about a JDM Nissan Skyline 350gt? Essentially a 2+2 350z so easy enough to maintain and being an import would be cheap to tax.

350GT

CheesybeanZ

VW sirocco … but it’s a bit dull

You’re driving it wrong if you think a Sirocco is dull.

I was going to suggest a Nissan 200 sx but just looked at the prices 😳

hot_fiat

I know you’ve said mercs are a bit showy, but 5.0L v8…

reeksy

You need a 6 litre GTR, maaaaate.

(Holden Torana with a 6.0L V8 LS2 from a Corvette C6)

Might not be ULEZ…

TheFlyingOx

I briefly owned a mk1 TT Quattro and it was a very, very nice car to sit in and to drive, but they’re more of a 2+²

I’d still have one if you could get an mtb in the back of it…

I had a large Banshee Prime in the back of mine, so you have no excuse.

Mégane 225? They’re meant to be a hoot. Never even sat in one but a guy at work had one and raved about it.

Skyline 350GT/Infiniti G35? Always liked the look of these and effectively a 4 seat 350Z so should be good in both the fun and noise departments.

whatgoesup

Another Celica vote here – I had one as an only car for several years. Good to drive as it’s both light and designed from the ground up as a sporty coupe. Reliable – did 100K in mine with no issues of note. Also a hatchback so good for bikes in the back etc. probably getting harder to find a good one now though.

Mine, back in the day

john_l
    Free Member

VW sirocco … but it’s a bit dull

You’re driving it wrong if you think a Sirocco is dull.

That’s what I came here to say, our 62 plate TSI GT with DSG is very real world fast. Super comfy on long hauls too and can get 2 bikes in the back.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Don’t forget the compact offerings from both bmw f mercedes from a few years back.

The 3 series compact & Mercedes C Class Sports Coupe & then the CLC

5lab
    Free Member

That’s what I came here to say, our 62 plate TSI GT with DSG is very real world fast. Super comfy on long hauls too and can get 2 bikes in the back.

That may all be true but it’s effectively a 3 door golf, in the same way the astra gtc is a 3 door astra and the Mégane coupe is a 3 door Mégane. That gives it extra practicality, but it’s less special than the TT (which is based on the same platform)

john_l
    Free Member

Oh yeah, agreed. I’ve got a MK2 16v Golf for special 😃

one_bad_mofo

Just buy a cheap Puma 1.7. My wife has had one for over 10 years and it’s huge fun to drive if you hold the gears and let the Zetec engine’s variable valve timing do its thing.

It’s also been boringly reliable. However, she’s about to move it on in favour of a Fiesta Ecoboost 1.0 turbo ST. It still runs great but it’s looking a bit rough…

simon_g

6 series was my first thought too – 630i is not terrible on fuel, great cruiser, and I think they’re all ULEZ compliant (euro 4).

TT v6 would be a great option too.

a11y

You need a 6 litre GTR, maaaaate.

(Holden Torana with a 6.0L V8 LS2 from a Corvette C6)

Might not be ULEZ…

You’d be surprised. No idea how or why, but my previous Monaro with the same engine (VE05 XBN) was ULEZ compliant despite CO2 emissions of 384g/km.

6 series was my first thought too – 630i is not terrible on fuel, great cruiser, and I think they’re all ULEZ compliant (euro 4).

They’ve really grown on me. I owned a Z4 for 5+ years pre-kids. Those aren’t feasible now with kids, but that era of 6 series has aged beautifully IMO. M54 (or is it N52) engine. Plenty of space for the kids. Not a sports car, more a cruiser. High VED is the downside.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.