Home Forums Bike Forum Ergon Grips: GE1 or GA2?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ergon Grips: GE1 or GA2?
  • ready

Looking for some new grips. I usually ride without gloves, apart from this time of the year.
    I really like the Bontrager XR grips, and don’t mind the Deathgrips, but thought I might try the Ergons. But what is the difference between the GE1 and GA2? Is there a big difference? Any real world reviews would be appreciated!
    Or should I stick with what I know?

ahsat

I have a pair of GE1 grips in my build box for my Stanton (which eventually I will fit when the damn frame turns up!). So not ridden them, but they feel nice. However they really aren’t pretty – enough to make me wonder about swapping them solely for aesthetics, but think I’ll give them a go. Have to admit I didn’t really spot the GAs as an alternative.

argee

GE1 is designed more with enduro in mind, so in the attack position and contact with hands around DH stuff, GA2 is soft and feels more round, if that is a feel!

I have both, GE1 on the enduro, GA2 on the hardtail, honestly there is minimal difference, it’s the shape that’s a little different, feel wise, not much in it, could switch them over and probably not notice much bar the shape at the end.

If you have big hands the GA2 comes in a big boy size as well i believe, so that could swing it, i just went for the GE1 as i got a deal and loved the ergon grips.

windyg
    Free Member

I think I have some GA2’s that came off a new bike if you want some cheap

davosaurusrex

I have big hands and love the GA2 Fats. The GE1 are too slim for me. Admit the Ergons aren’t the prettiest grips, I tried some Burgtec Minaars for that reason (yes I’m shallow) but they weren’t as good so changed back

@windyg
    – if the OP doesn’t want them and they happen to be the Fat variety I’m interested

windyg
    Free Member

Sorry they are not the Fat ones

scotroutes

I have GE1s on all my MTBs as I like them so much. They actually add a couple of degrees of sweepback, which suits me.

poah
    Free Member

soft and feels more round, if that is a feel!

it is according to my wife 🙁

I’d actually recommend the GD1 factory grips

argee

poah
    Free Member
    soft and feels more round, if that is a feel!

it is according to my wife 🙁

I’d actually recommend the GD1 factory grips

Got a set of those as well, only problem is they do fall apart a bit and let dirt in due to the end caps needed, prefer the others as this time of year it’s less hassle cleaning!

daver27
    Free Member

i’ve had and ridden both considerable distance. I prefer the GA2 as it is more like a traditional grip in shape and feel with some benefits of the ergo shaping. The GE1 is still not mega ergo shaped like some of their grips, but it is decidedly more so than the GA2 and as such i found it can feel odd in certain scenarios or put pressure on your palms when not “on it”

biggest thing i have found is that if you dont get them set up right for your most used hand/body position or if you move your hands around a lot rotationally, you end up in a less than optimal or comfortable position.

worth noting i’ve since gone back to normal grips in the shape of Burgtec bartenders and don’t miss the ergons at all

devash
    Free Member

I ordered a set of GE1 and GA2s when they first came out. The GA2s should technically fit my trail / XC riding better than the downhill / enduro focussed GE1s but I thought they were too thin / small. The GE1s just felt great. They get you in an aggressive position and pull your weight forward a bit, if that makes any sense. I’d like to try the GA2 fats at some point though, or even the ones with slightly more ergonomic wings (GA3)?

timnoyce
    Free Member

I had this same dilemma. In the end I went with the GE1 as I decided that I liked the idea of the fact that they were more shaped and less round and this seemed to make them more worthy of the money I was spending on them over other grips.

Either way, I REALLY like them. I’ve been using Deathgrips for a couple of years and these are better in every way. More grip, more comfort, more shred.

lawman91

Got GE1 Factory’s on both bikes and really rate them. The rubber seems a little softer than the regular GE1 Evo so they feel slimmer. I tried the Slim factory ones but found they gave a little too much trail feedback, swapped to the standard size and they were much better. Should be noted I find the slim in the regular Evo similar to the standard size in the Factory. The Factorys look awesome though the opaque rubber is cool! Stupid I know, but cool!

patagonian
    Free Member

I went for the GA3. I use my 29 XC hardtail for long distance rides and my wrists were suffering so I was looking for something that would provide a little support without looking like it was off a commuter bike. Not sure the GE1 or GA2’s would have offered that support.
    I think the important thing here is to be clear about what your issue really is and choose accordingly.

dw10naylor

I have had both the GE1 and GA3 and ended up with sore palms and wrists, tried all positions, but just couldn’t get them right.
    I’ve got Renthal Traction Lock-on UltraTacky on now and so far no issues, plus the grip is incredible.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ergon Grips: GE1 or GA2?’ is closed to new replies.