Home Forums Bike Forum Ergon GE1 Evo – hand position – am I just being wierd?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ergon GE1 Evo – hand position – am I just being wierd?
  • munkiemagik
    Free Member

Where along these tapered grips do people generally position their hands? On the outside (wider) ends of the grip, in the middle or as close inboard (thinnest end) as possible?

Riding the other day I suddenly realised that when I have my hands positioned right up against the lock ring on the inside of the grips a further 10/12mm inboard the bike just felt a whole lot better being thrown around twisty windy stuff. Normally I’ve been riding around with my hands further towards the outside which equates to around 20+mm difference in effective bar width.

It made me wonder is that to do with the shape of the grip in that area that I just prefer? Which makes me ride with more confidence or is it a good indication that I’d prefer a slightly narrower bar.

I’ve now shifted the brake levers and all other controls further inboard to run that position for a while to see how i get on. My concern is as it’s quite thin with less cushioning around there, over prolonged use my hands may start feeling uncomfortable.

But if it’s more indicative that my bars could just do with a trim, by shortening the bars 20mm I could be at that ideal width but have my hands back on the outside ends of the grip with the better cushioning.

Does anyone have any experience to lead them to believe whether it is bar width or grip shape that is the key factor here to improved feel of handling and confidence on the bike?

slowbloke
    Free Member

Using the same grips my hands are positioned pretty much where you say but reach to the outside as well as I have wide hands. I also find that despite having big hands the slim version lets me relax more and therefore ride faster. Also, I’m 6’4” – if I use the formula for bar width I should be running something like 850mm bars. I prefer 780. 800 doesn’t allow enough movement for me and 760 feels too small. It’s all very personal and subjective though.

ads678

Maybe you just suit narrower bars OP, what width are you running currently?

munkiemagik
    Free Member

Dagnamit! I swear I had these bars cut at my LBS. They’re Raceface SixC 31.8’s so came in 785mm,

Ive defo had something cut off them but not enough it seems! Measuring tip to tip of the grips which are angled at the end so are longer than the bars inside by a wee bit Im still showing 780ish mm on the tape measure.

Im only 5ft 7. Could have sworn I had them cut down to 760mm

orangespyderman

I believe the GE1s are shaped in such a way as they actually run wider than the bars they’re on (they “overhang” somewhat). Not sure where I read that or why I think it’s the case, but I do :) I use them and love them in any case…

ads678

Buy some cheap bars and try them out before cutting your nice ones down.

devash
    Free Member

It’s really random that this post got put up today as I’ve just got back from a ride where I tried putting my hands more inboard than usual (I have always rode these grips with my hands positioned right at the end of the grips) and it did indeed feel better.

munkiemagik
    Free Member

@devash – crazy how much of a difference it made to me with the bike handling. Are you running fairly wide bars?

devash
    Free Member

@munkiemagik

760mm Renthal Fatbar Lites (V2), so not hugely wide by modern standards. They’re fitted to a Giant Anthem 27.5, running 130mm forks, and I use it for general XC / trail riding.

It might sound weird running “enduro / gravity” branded grips on an XC bike but they’re the best grips I’ve ever used and have been running them since the original, pre-Evo version (currently running Evo Factory). I just love the aggressive position and sense of control they give.

martymac

Just for reference, I’m 5’9” and use 780mm bars, on both mtbs.
    So it would sort of sound right if you’re thinking 760 suits you better.

munkiemagik
    Free Member

Judging from everyone else’s bar widths it is looking extremely likely now that I’ve realised my bars aren’t as narrow as I thought they were a bit of a chop is in order.

Ideally it would be better to get a cheaper narrower bar to try it first but I dont think I have the patience for that. I’ve been eyeing up the OneUp bar so if worst comes to he worst and I’ve cut the SixC too short I can just wait for OneUp to come back in stock somewhere one day and replace it.

Considering the kind of riding I have around Haldon off piste I definitely prefer being able to fling the bike around more easily than have the stability of a much wider bar

Thanks for the feedback people it’s been helpful.

mashr

Don’t need another set of bars, just another set of grips (without integrated bar plugs) that you can slide into different positions (along with the brakes and shifters) until you land where you want

vicksplace
    Free Member

Yeah I think those grips add like 1.5cm to the bar width (or at least mine do).

tjagain

Judging from everyone else’s bar widths it is looking extremely likely now that I’ve realised my bars aren’t as narrow as I thought they were a bit of a chop is in order.

I am 5’10” and bars wider than 720 are just horrendously uncomfortable for me and I have 680s on two bikes

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ergon GE1 Evo – hand position – am I just being wierd?’ is closed to new replies.