Home Forums Chat Forum Energy cap price rise

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 411 total)
  • Energy cap price rise
  • flicker
    Free Member

Bit stunned by some of the figures on here. Our electric is £80-110 a month, including an electric car on 10k miles a year. Four bed detached with family of 4. Heating we are oil, so consider ourselves lucky, to this point…

I’m guessing you haven’t looked at the price of heating oil lately….

spacemonkey

Granted, there’s only two of us living here, but I use plenty of electricity and the washing machine (and in winter, tumble dryer) is constantly on

Only 2 adults in the house… what can you possibly be doing to have the washing machine on permanently?

IME it’s only kids that make that possible.

seadog101

We just had our monthly DD adjusted to keep us up with the “Expected Increases”.

Same as me suddenly going from 5’10” to 8’2″…

Cougar

Only 2 adults in the house… what can you possibly be doing to have the washing machine on permanently?

IME it’s only kids that make that possible.

It’s exactly that. OH’s daughter and her partner moved into their first home last year, their washer doesn’t work. So OH is in Mum Mode doing their laundry and they generate an astonishing amount of washing, I don’t know how they do it. Granted the boyfriend is a mechanic, but still.

Cougar

Yes, that’s a huge amount of money. Are you mining bitcoin?

As above, white goods, plus a 24/7 dehumidifier in the cellar. That’s on top of powering my tech (several computers, Xbox, Big Daft Telly, a houseful of Alexa) and the regular stuff.

But like I say, I need to work it out, it’s possible their estimate is miles off. The previous owner apparently “liked it warm” and I think was using a scary amount of power so it depends how far back they’re looking at historical billing.

What temperature is your thermostat set at? Our house with no hearing on stays around 16.5 degrees regardless of what is like out
    Thermostat is set at 17.5 when the heating is on

Christ, I wouldn’t run a server room that cold. Do you have shares in Edinburgh Woollen Mill?

Thermostat is in the low 20s, I forget exactly. 22? But the heating isn’t on all the time, right now it’s on for four hours a day and that’s from winter, I could reduce that now that the weather’s improving.

frankconway

Could be cheaper if you bought them a replacement washing machine.

bikerevivesheffield

@cougar 22 wtaf that’s beyond warm but then again we are an active family not sat at computers/consoles

flicker
    Free Member

Christ, I wouldn’t run a server room that cold. Do you have shares in Edinburgh Woollen Mill?

Thermostat is in the low 20s, I forget exactly. 22? But the heating isn’t on all the time, right now it’s on for four hours a day and that’s from winter, I could reduce that now that the weather’s improving

Depends where it is, ours is also set to 17.5 °C but it’s in the hall, coldest part of the house. After a bit of tweaking and sitting the thermostat in different rooms this is where it works best to keep the rest of the house comfortable.

northernremedy
    Free Member

@flicker I have! Bought 900 litres at 62p last week, seen it go over the £1 a litre mark this week.

One litre of oil = 10.25kwh of energy, so, I bought effectively at 6p/kWh, even those buying now are at 12p/kwh. So it’s tipped over the apparent p/kWh of gas this week. I expect heating oil is a triple whammy, crude price, high demand at this time of year and people looking at the price of crude and filling up tanks

flicker
    Free Member

@northernremedy now that was good timing :D

Petrol/diesel is the next one to jump up, our local Shell garage has put diesel up to 172.9p a litre this weekend so I’m expecting the others to follow suit shortly.

slackboy

however, when i logged into the moneysavingexpert ‘cheap energy club’ page, it tells me i cant do better. but, theres only 3 results in there (outfox the market and 2 x scottish power tariffs). anyone else having that happen?

Yes, I had this when I looked today.
    Luckily (?) scottish power have a fixed term tariff for existing customers that is ever so slightly cheaper than the energy cap so I’ve moved to that, on the basis that the cap will increase again in October.

Regardless, energy costs are still doubling as I’d been on a really good fixed rate before.

oikeith

After moving to a tariff which was under the price cap last week, but double our old tariff I think I’m going to have to bin the smart meter display, the daily cost is astonishing to see now!

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

That’s Octopus energy rolled out the email of price rises. Flamin’ heck, going up about 150 quid a month, it’s okay though, we have done something to save you 50 quid a year, erm, thanks….
    Never thought I’d see the time when the basics like heating and electricity were becoming luxuries.

flicker
    Free Member

That’s Octopus energy rolled out the email of price rises. Flamin’ heck, going up about 150 quid a month, it’s okay though, we have done something to save you 50 quid a year, erm, thanks….
    Never thought I’d see the time when the basics like heating and electricity were becoming luxuries.

Wait until the world stops buying Russian gas and oil, it’ll really get interesting then.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Saw a bit on the news yesterday about the winter cap from October. It’s calculated on average costs Feb-July. An average gas price of £3/therm would lead to about 50% increase again, taking the cap for the average household to about £3k per year. Prices yesterday peaked at£8/therm. Those of us that got stuck on the cap are in for a massive bill.

ji
    Free Member

So given my house is not far off being double the average that is quoted for the cap figures, I think I will be loking at around£5-6k per year….ouch. And that is before any more escalation in Ukraine

sharkbait
    Free Member

I expect heating oil is a triple whammy, crude price, high demand at this time of year and people looking at the price of crude and filling up tanks

You did well to get a delivery in!
    I’m ringing round my 4 or 5 suppliers and so far only one will take an order due to a massive lack of supply – and even then it’s for delivery around the 3rd April and the price is unknown!
    I’m really not keen on paying £1.20 for a litre of heating oil!!!

My nearest supplier is just 3 miles away but won’t supply me as my last order with them was in 2019 – even though I’ve been using them for 20 years!

I wouldn’t mind so much but there’s only about 200L left in the tank. So now I’m hoping for sunny weather as the Solar PV will make the hot water for us and room heat will come from the stove as I’ve got plenty of logs.

molgrips
    Free Member

My heating is currently broken. It was 2C last night, and this morning about 10C in the kitchen. And you know what? It really wasn’t that bad. We watched TV under blankets, which was nice, and our duvet was thick enough. My wife had another blanket.

When the heating is fixed I’m certainly going to knock the temperature down again, even though I’ve already done that this winter. So I think that, medial issues or age notwithstanding, you can do a lot to reduce bills if you just re-adjust and it doesn’t really need to be a problem.

I have a friend who lives down South and doesn’t have his heating on at all. I wouldn’t want to try that myself, I think damp would start to be a problem.

sharkbait
    Free Member

My heating is currently broken.

… and that’s what I’m going to tell MrsSB

My girls are all away at Uni so I can get away with less heat than usual.
    I am giving serious consideration to increasing the amount of solar PV I’ve got though – I’ve got lots of space for a ground mounted array.

molgrips
    Free Member

My girls are all away at Uni so I can get away with less heat than usual.

If I only had two in the house I’d seriously consider strategically placed IR panels. I’d probably try it under my desk or above it, but then when the door’s closed it’s not even that bad.

trail_rat
    Free Member

@flicker I have! Bought 900 litres at 62p last week, seen it go over the £1 a litre mark this week.

One litre of oil = 10.25kwh of energy, so, I bought effectively at 6p/kWh, even those buying now are at 12p/kwh. So it’s tipped over the apparent p/kWh of gas this week. I expect heating oil is a triple whammy, crude price, high demand at this time of year and people looking at the price of crude and filling up tanks

I felt like i was having my pisser pulled at 62p but reluctantly bought another 1400l to fill my tank after getting down to the last 200l about 4 weeks ago.

luck more than judgement but only just seen the price graph today which is mental. Going to chop more fire wood tonight i expect – make that oil last.

Kryton57

My heating is currently broken. It was 2C last night, and this morning about 10C in the kitchen. And you know what? It really wasn’t that bad. We watched TV under blankets, which was nice, and our duvet was thick enough. My wife had another blanket.

Soon you’ll be able to save even more money by turning the fridge off and leaving the food on the worktops.

Onzadog
    Free Member

This morning, I took 15 minutes of either end of each heating phase and took every phase down by 1°C. It was already down to 18 at most. Fingers crossed for a long hot summer.

I’ve turned into my grandfather.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Anyone heard anything from Edf?

Not a sausage, but that’s to be expected from them, they didn’t even notify us when our DD went up in Oct when our deal ended and we fell into the now ‘cheap’ cap.

We were paying £120 a month on our deal for combined which was about 85% cost and 15% from when they grossly undercharged us for a year and we ended up owing them a few hundred quid. It’s £145 now, thankfully we’re back in the black with them so I suspect we’re looking at £190ish from next month.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

DEFRA compliant wood burner is next.

I’m not sure how you think a log burner is going to be cheaper than gas unless it’s running a back boiler and central heating.

A bag of decently dry logs is circa £8*. The log burner heats one room well but if that’s your only heat source will be fairly useless. You’ll be getting through a bag a every day, or two if you’re tight, trying to heat the house.
    Even a DEFRA approved one isn’t exactly a clean way of heating your house either.

*Big bags will save money but then you need to have the space for a half a tonne of logs.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Saw a bit on the news yesterday about the winter cap from October. It’s calculated on average costs Feb-July. An average gas price of £3/therm would lead to about 50% increase again, taking the cap for the average household to about £3k per year. Prices yesterday peaked at£8/therm. Those of us that got stuck on the cap are in for a massive bill.

Martin Lewis made a video a week or maybe two back, warning that based on market forces Feb-July they’re expecting another 24% rise in Oct, on top of the 54% now, a 90% rise when compounded, but that was before the invasion. If nothing (good) happens in Ukraine and soon, it will be another 50% rise in Oct, a 131% rise when compounded. You add that the the cost of Petrol/Diesel possibly hitting £2 a litre by the end of the year, and it’s going to get very tough.

Someone above said about driving at 70mph on the motorway instead of 85? Sod that, I’m doing 56 behind a lorry, especially if I’m ‘on the clock’ and I’m praying for a long warm Spring/Summer/Autumn.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

You add that the the cost of Petrol/Diesel possibly hitting £2 a litre by the end of the year, and it’s going to get very tough.

I’d be surprised if it hasn’t got £2/l by the end of April, I’m guessing over £1.80 by the end of this month.

kelvin

You’ll be getting through a bag a every day or two of you’re trying to heat the house.

Don’t heat the house all day. Heat the room for the evening. Then your maths changes.

But expect the price of firewood to be through the roof next winter as well.

somafunk

Diesel is already at £1.75 in my town, and for heating/hot water ive turned off my air source heat pump as its **** useless, using my log burner instead and getting through 3 bags coal @ £27 week & £30 logs week – I have spms and need a warm house 24hrs/day otherwise my muscles go into spasm and lock up.

They’re an environmental disaster

Couldn’t give a flying **** at this point.

footflaps

DEFRA compliant wood burner is next.

They’re an environmental disaster. We’ve stopped using ours.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Don’t heat the house all day. Heat the room for the evening. Then your maths changes.

Very true, but it still won’t be cheaper than doing the same with gas CH and turning the other rads off. (It also doesn’t work very well unless you only live in one room of the house either)

ayjaydoubleyou

“You add that the the cost of Petrol/Diesel possibly hitting £2 a litre by the end of the year, and it’s going to get very tough.”

I’d be surprised if it hasn’t got £2/l by the end of April, I’m guessing over £1.80 by the end of this month.

theres someone (or a few someones) who on every environmental and/or driving thread idicates that they think fuel should be 4 or 5 pounds a litre, as that would “cause people to think about their usage” and or price them out of motoring entirely.
    I cant remember who it is, and if it is so they can ride their bike on quiet roads or drive their company taycan through central london without traffic jams; but I welcome their contribution to this thread on the above point.

molgrips
    Free Member

Someone above said about driving at 70mph on the motorway instead of 85? Sod that, I’m doing 56 behind a lorry,

As someone who’s dine many caravan holidays you’d be surprised how little time is lost doing this. When you sit in the lorry lane you’re doing about 58mph usually (indicated) so that’s 20% slower than indicated 70mph. For me to drive to say Heathrow it used to take around 2hrs, but at 56mph that’s 2h24. Now, you might think that 24 mins extra is a lot, but when you consider that there are 50 limits in the route now anyway the difference is less because I can’t do 70mph all the way anyway. And a two hour trip is a decent drive, an extra 20 mins really isn’t that big of a deal. There are very few people for whom it would actually matter. And it saves loads of fuel.

It feels incredibly slow, but it’s not really that bad.

Daffy

So – we’ve been offered a chance to fix with OVO at £285 a month fixed for 2 years. We currently pay £121 and before working from home, were at around £85. That’s just for lights, whitegoods, TVs, the occasional electric car charge and what not. We use 7700kwh in 2020/2021 and 6300kwh in 2019.

Our oil price locally is now 1.28ppl up from 0.42ppl. We use 1500l a year for heating and hot water.

Assuming it stays at similar rates for a while, our energy bills will go from ~£2000/y to £5200/y an almost £300 a month increase. That on top of the almost 30% that food has gone up since 2016 and my new national insurance rise and my increasing council tax bill, means that coupled with water rates, our non- mortgage fixed outgoings will be £9000-£10000 a year. That compared to ~£5000 in 2016/17.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m not sure how you think a log burner is going to be cheaper than gas unless it’s running a back boiler and central heating.

A bag of decently dry logs is circa £8*. The log burner heats one room well but if that’s your only heat source will be fairly useless. You’ll be getting through a bag a every day, or two if you’re tight, trying to heat the house.
    Even a DEFRA approved one isn’t exactly a clean way of heating your house either.

was any of that direct experience or dramatic hyperbole to get your turnip through a nail. Your maths is similar to runnign a gas boiler off 250gram gas stove cylinders….

Faced with the choice of sitting in the cold next year when theres no gas/oil/electric oir what ever or using my log burner …… i know what ill be doing.

Equally i was quite glad of it through out the recent storms when the power was out for not an insignificant amount of time locally.

Ive just moved to a small petrol car (mainly because financials didnt make sense on a comparible electric car and they were a one trick pony regarding range) for work due to nursary opening times and traveling to work at 60 is 4 minutes slower than at 70. at 60 i get 65mpg at 70 i get 43-45…… speed limiter is set at 60. can get a long way on a 35 litre tank.

P-Jay
    Free Member

As someone who’s dine many caravan holidays you’d be surprised how little time is lost doing this. When you sit in the lorry lane you’re doing about 58mph usually (indicated) so that’s 20% slower than indicated 70mph. For me to drive to say Heathrow it used to take around 2hrs, but at 56mph that’s 2h24. Now, you might think that 24 mins extra is a lot, but when you consider that there are 50 limits in the route now anyway the difference is less because I can’t do 70mph all the way anyway. And a two hour trip is a decent drive, an extra 20 mins really isn’t that big of a deal. There are very few people for whom it would actually matter. And it saves loads of fuel.

It feels incredibly slow, but it’s not really that bad.

It goes against every fibre of my being as a red blooded wheelsman who’s used to ‘making progress’ but you’re right. I used to commute Cardiff to Bridgend every day, I worked out that driving at 80mph saved me 4 mins each way, was stressful (the usual throttle / brake of lane 3 in rush hour). I realised pretty quickly that I never arrived to work at 9, more like 08:40 to 08:50 depending on a million factors, so I was stressing myself out to work a bit extra for free. Doing 56 behind a lorry pretty much doubled the MPG and gave me 4 mins more of listening to my music etc and saved me about £40-£50 a month in fuel that my Wife could waste, sorry invest in scented candles and such.

Things are different now, I mostly only drive for work, but I’ve got a lovely car with Carplay, heated seats and adaptive cruise. I don’t really see the point in rushing anymore.

Kryton57

that my Wife could waste, sorry invest in scented candles and such.

:D

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

was any of that direct experiance or dramatic hyperbole to get your drive your turnip through a nail.

Direct experience.

A “grab” bag of logs will do me 3 X 2hr fires, the first 40 minutes or so will barely warm the space immediately round the burner.
    The next hour will get the room “hot” – but like a frog in a pan you tend not to notice until you go out and come back in – the last 20 minutes is the one too many logs you put on burning off.

Open the living room door whilst it’s burning and it’s another 20 min or so get to the “that’ll do” point. The hall way gets warm. Assuming I’d turned off the CH the temperature in the rest of the house barely moves, to the point is actually cold in the kitchen and bedrooms.

If that fire was heating the house that would need a burn in the morning, probably one at lunchtime ish, then one in the evening assuming I’d like to keep the house at somewhere in double digits.

The back burner meant I needed about 4-5 hours of burn a day to keep the house above 15, the living room was unbearably warm by the time the kitchen was at that sort of temperature. It needed coal and charcoal to keep it ticking over rather than actively burning with logs.

The back burner went to be (re)replaced with gas CH. (fortunately the previous occupants held left everything in place for gas when they put in the pretty wood burner)

molgrips
    Free Member

I worked out that driving at 80mph saved me 4 mins each way, was stressful

A good point. Sitting in with the lorries (not too close obviously) is extremely relaxing, Because most of the lorries are chugging along at the same speed and you really have to do very little if you’re not passing slower vehicles all the time.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 411 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.