Home Forums Chat Forum Energy cap price rise

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 411 total)
  • Energy cap price rise
  • Kryton57

@dangourbrain – can I ask did yours go up before Christmas as well? Ours is actually £119>£192>£214. The £119>£241 would represent your doubling example since October 2021.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Combine this with rise on mortgages and the extra ni payments and a lot of people will have very little in the way of spare cash

I calculate all in I’ll be 200 quid a month worse off minimum before you even consider the price rise of daily living such as food

I’m lucky enough to fall into the higher tax bracket (just), so in reality that 200 quid a month means a real world reduction in salary of over 4.5k. When I think about it in those terms it makes me wince

stcolin
    Free Member

Just had our email from bulb. Bills going up 80% for us. We don’t have a big bill as there is only the two of us, but it really is going to hit so many people so hard.

rents
    Free Member

Ours went up a lot.
    Solar systems! Talk to me STW! I am loving the idea of fitting a system but not the SEG payment of 5p kWh for paying back in when I think we buy it from SSE at 35p per kwh.
    When I do the calcs it seems close to break even with the chance of a slight saving.
    The idea of less reliance and price fluctuation still makes it appealing though.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Bulb user here too. Just got an email to say our monthly payments are going up from £116 a month to £197.
    I think I need to star fracking.

trail_rat
    Free Member

but not the SEG payment of 5p kWh for paying back in when I think we buy it from SSE at 35p per kwh.

Brown power can’t get back through the transformer so it’s very localised usage …..

But according to people I know trying to get both costs and leadtimes of solar installs have skyrocketed in the last 6-8 months compared to October 2020 when I started ours. ….I wonder why.

Fwiw it’s halfed our bill year to date. 225kwh generated in Feb alone.

Don’t export much have it heating the house via oil rads and a solic

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

@kryton yep, from circa £90pcm

I’m sure it’s just my imagination too but I swear my I’m getting less gas for my erm, gas.

Seems to take a lot longer to heat the oven/boil a pan a etc over the last few months.

But, I got my first pay rise in 4 years this Christmas, that just about covers the latest jump. 🙁

Drac

Yup bulb here too going up by about 40% I can afford it but it means making a few changes too. Feel sorry for those not in the position I’m fortunately in.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Lots of gas is available in the UK from fracking but people protested it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The most depressing thing about it is the actual cost of the stuff isn’t just cash and is currently being very clearly demonstrated all over the news.

martin_t
    Free Member

Ours went up a lot.
    Solar systems! Talk to me STW! I am loving the idea of fitting a system but not the SEG payment of 5p kWh for paying back in when I think we buy it from SSE at 35p per kwh.
    When I do the calcs it seems close to break even with the chance of a slight saving.
    The idea of less reliance and price fluctuation still makes it appealing though.

Octopus are now paying 7.5p on there fixed rate tariff. Their Agile output tariff has averaged around 15p over the last year (that tracks market rates).

neila

Bulb customer here too, just had the email today. Unit prices going up I can understand and that is kinda in our control (I can try to use less) but the electricity standing charge is going from 25 to 48 pence per day, gulp!

martin_t
    Free Member

the electricity standing charge

Is a bit misleading. It used to go to running the grid and was specific, now it is just part of the tariff and doesn’t go towards anything specific. For most it will be less than 10% of the total bill. But it is that typical thing with British companies where they compete by confusion. Making it very hard to easily compare one product against each other e.g. like train fares and mobile phone tariffs.

thepodge
    Free Member

We average 80-90£ a month over the year but Bulb insist we pay 110£ because their algorithm is a money grabbing idiot that doesn’t understand we use less in summer so tries to bill us based on winter usage only.

Anyway they just upped it to 187£. Over twice our previous average.

thepodge
    Free Member

i_scoff_cake

That’s irrelevant, the gas will end up being privately owned and sold to the highest bidder, just because it comes out of the ground here doesn’t mean it’ll benefit the wider general public here.

bruneep

We average 80-90£ a month over the year but Bulb insist we pay 110£ because their algorithm is a money grabbing idiot that doesn’t understand we use less in summer so tries to bill us based on winter usage only.

Anyway they just upped it to 187£. Over twice our previous average

very similar to the increase applied to my mums account with bulb. When I questioned it the snarky woman informed me it’s in the T&C’s when she signed up that you must maintain a months credit so just paying for what you use isn’t enough 🤔

colp

Another Bulb customer here. Monthly payments going up to £275.

We’re increasing our electricity unit rate from 21.986p to 29.584p per kWh and electricity standing charge from 23.490p to 47.581p per day.

We’re increasing our gas unit rate from 4.065p to 7.365p per kWh and standing charge from 26.112p to 27.219p per day.

julians
    Free Member

An extra £100 per month for us, going from around £200 to £300 ish ,shell energy.

keithb

very similar to the increase applied to my mums account with bulb. When I questioned it the snarky woman informed me it’s in the T&C’s when she signed up that you must maintain a months credit so just paying for what you use isn’t enough

Well that’s Bulb on my “energy company *****list” as I normally switch late summer/autumn, the I normally go into debit in the first couple of months. The whole point of direct debits is averaging out the cost to the customer. And providing income certainty to the provider.  Fools.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I am bulb also. This may be a stupid question, but how come my standing charge is going up from 25 to 51.675? While others have been a few pence lower? Is it to do with my location?

mesh

Bulb insisting on the monthly DD/month’s credit is not strictly true. I got fed up with their comedy usage estimations and over inflated DD demands months ago (before they were bailed out), and through a fairly lengthy correspondence they agreed that I could just pay ad-hoc.

Obviously this doesn’t suit everyone, but I’m far happier just paying for what I use in full each month, rather than being in debt to them or having them sat on a pile of my money.

Kryton57

Maybe – our Bulb standing charges – North London – are:

Elec = 24.007p to 37.918p
    Gas = 26.112p to 27.219p

Drac

We’re increasing our electricity day unit rate from 22.037p to 29.707p per kWh and our night unit rate from 14.848p to 20.015p per kWh. Our electricity standing charge is increasing from 26.532p to 48.998p per day.

We’re increasing our gas unit rate from 3.954p to 7.225p per kWh and standing charge from 26.112p to 27.219p per day.

That’s for where I live. May brother lives a few miles away and he pays less. :/

bigblackshed

Octopus have just increased our bill. We were on a fixed rate tariff, not sure what the unit prices and standing charges were without going digging, but the monthly DD was £81, just gone up to £186, again on a 12 month fixed.

Using some of the comparison sites it’s still the lowest price available without going variable.

Simon-E

Our (Shropshire) Bulb standing charges from an email on Friday:

Elec: from 25.083p to 48.127p
    Gas: from 26.112p to 27.219p

They intend to increase our DD by 42%.

thelawman

@simon-e
    We’re in Shropshire too, and by the looks of it we had exactly the same email as you, yesterday from Bulb.
    “We’re increasing our electricity unit rate from 20.581p to 27.865p per kWh and electricity standing charge from 25.083p to 48.127p per day.
    We’re increasing our gas unit rate from 4.046p to 7.367p per kWh and standing charge from 26.112p to 27.219p per day.”
    That’s effectively taken our monthly direct debit from £84 last year –> £127 recently –> £169 in April. So basically just over doubled. I know it’s relatively low by comparison to some people’s consumption, but still…. sheesh.

ransos
    Free Member

Gas is a traded commodity.

irc
    Free Member

Gas is traded. But much is from Russia. Is it good being dependent on Putin?

thepodge
    Free Member

If gas coming out of the ground in the UK was priced at a level the UK is willing to pay then we wouldn’t rely on Russia.

ransos
    Free Member

Gas is traded. But much is from Russia. Is it good being dependent on Putin?

We’re not to any great extent. About 5% IIRC.

rents
    Free Member

Fwiw it’s halfed our bill year to date. 225kwh generated in Feb alone.

What size system did you have installed?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Those of you talking about increases in your bills, are the figures accurate ie any debt built up? Billing Is to accurate usage?

julians
    Free Member

Those of you talking about increases in your bills, are the figures accurate ie any debt built up? Billing Is to accurate usage?

Yes,all accurate with mine,no debt to repay etc

thelawman

Yes,all accurate with mine,no debt to repay etc

Likewise here; online statement right now says approx £72 in credit, and just recently I’ve been giving them the two readings roughly every month or so.
    To be honest, I’m just resigned to it going up and up for the foreseeable future

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m in credit, last time I looked over £200. Bulb are rubbish at usage / billing management.

flicker
    Free Member

I haven’t been billed for gas or electricity since Avro and Green went bust, 6 months and counting, tik tok, tik tok…

doris1

I know we’ve been warned to expect price rises but I’ve just received the renewal from EDF for my parents which has gone from £106 a month to £355 a month! Their existing tariff runs out in 30 days and this fixed rate is until March 2024. The only other option I have is to drop onto the standard tariff which is currently estimated at £224 a month. Do I gamble and go with the standard in the hope that prices will come down, or fix now before it goes up more.

It actually makes me feel a bit sick as while they can probably just about afford it, it’s a huge chunk of their pension, and I do wonder how other people will manage. Before anyone mentions star jumps and pets to snuggle up to, they’re in their later 80’s, both disabled with no mobility and various other health conditions so the heating is set to 22 degrees all day.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Martin Lewis says stick to the cap. That said my brother fixed back in early Jan, looked a bad deal at the time but the early cancellation fee was only about £30 so it seemed low risk, and the deal like good now! Check the early cancellation fee and ensure you can move if the fixed tariff doesn’t work for them

frankconway

I’m in a protracted dispute with E.On Next about non-working smart meters for gas & electric.
    Last evening in my newsfeed a post from Martin Lewis (mse) about a 12 month fix from my supplier with a strong recommendation – take it if you can but it’s limited to existing customers.
    Straight onto E.On – you haven’t offered this to me; why not and I want it.
    Outcome – OK you’ve got it.
    12 month fix at the ofgem cap in April which means I duck the probable increase in October.
    Focus now is what to do when fix ends.

irc
    Free Member

Martin Lewis latest. In a nutshell worth fixing if you can get rates no more than 15% higher than the April price cap. Octopus offer to me is 25% higher when my current fix runs out this month.b So onto the variable it is.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/03/energy-price-hikes-is-now-time-to-fix/

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 411 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.