Home Forums Bike Forum Effect of Stem Position on Handling for 0 degree vs 10 Degree Rise?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Effect of Stem Position on Handling for 0 degree vs 10 Degree Rise?
  • myopic
    Free Member

If I keep the same bars in the same overall position, will I notice a difference in handling between a 0 degree rise stem mounted higher up the steerer tube (ie more spacers under the stem) and a 10 degree rise stem mounted lower down the steerer tube?

The bars will be in exactly the same place, but would the two different stems and positions make a difference to weight over the front end and therefore handling when climbing?

I kind of think it would – comparing it to having your body weight on the saddle, or dropping the saddle and keeping the same position except with the weight now on your feet, the centre of gravity is lower.

Or am I wrong?

chiefgrooveguru

If the handlebar grips are in the same position and orientation and there is minimal flex in the connection to the steerer tube then it makes absolutely no difference how they get there with respect to stem spacers, length, rise, bar width, sweep, rise etc.

spooky_b329

Would make no difference 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

no

myopic
    Free Member

OK, thanks guys – seems like its unanimous. That’s kind of what I thought to start with then I started thinking about it too much and wondered if the lower point to attachment would affect the leverage or weight distribution when climbing. That’ll teach me!

thomthumb
    Free Member

centre of gravity of the bike will be lower, immeasurably lower.

scaredypants

psssssst

– want the secret of infinite power ?

philjunior
    Free Member

If it’s on a road bike you must flip the stem to make you look pro.

Other than that, no difference.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Effect of Stem Position on Handling for 0 degree vs 10 Degree Rise?’ is closed to new replies.