Home Forums Bike Forum Ebikes – oh dear

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Ebikes – oh dear
  • slowoldman

The SUV of e-bikes.

onewheelgood

ebike but with throttle

An electric motorcycle then. Hope he was properly licensed, insured, and wearing the legally required PPE.

scotroutes

Of course he was, otherwise TJ wouldn’t have ridden with him. They also stuck to the roads.

tjagain

I am fairly sure there is some loophole around throttles on ebikes.  Maybe for older ones only?

Both had not turned up the max speed.  Infact both rode slower than I do.

matt_outandabout

I am fairly sure there is some loophole around throttles on ebikes. Maybe for older ones only?

No, no allowances.

Throttle or over the 18.5mph = moped/motorbike rules apply

tjagain
    matt_outandabout

Not as simple as that Matt. Its likely illegal but not certainly

Fair point.

But if I was betting about if the Crusher had Type Approval or the the rider was appropriately documented and insured….

tjagain

A throttle controlled bike CAN be a legal ebike and thus not need insurance or a license. 

montgomery
    Free Member

I commute by bike and train for work and leisure, and find myself wondering how long it’ll be before I bring a train service to a halt by refusing to get off because one of the increasing numbers of illegal e-bikes/motorbikes is taking up the space where my bicycle should be. Looking forward to explaining to transport police why that isn’t a bicycle, and the batteries are just as dangerous as the shonky scooters that’ve already been banned from public transport.

oldtennisshoes

Cyrusher

New Cotic model?

oceanskipper

bring a train service to a halt by refusing to get off

How does that work? Surely you’ll just miss your stop or would you stand in the doorway or block the aisle or something?

martymac

train service

well, that’s this thread well and truly derailed 

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I want to see TJ’s non-monstrosity e-bike because TBF, I think apart from a few £12k top notch ones, they’re all monstrosities.

tjagain

Here you go.  Its vaguely monstrous but not in the same league as my pals bikes

20230916_163006

20230915_203836

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Does it not fit in the jauntily angled bike rack?
    Also your carpet had seen better days

tjagain

the selfish bastards in the rest of the building have filled the bike rack – my bike rack with tat that never moves :-)

that is a wonderfully distressed and patinated original floor I’ll have you know!  took me many tens of hours to restore it.  Its beautiful  :-)

scotroutes

TBF TJ, that could easily by mistaken for an Orange – and folk have been buying those monstrosities for decades!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You’re right TJ, whilst being utterly hideous to look at, its still like looking at Kylie in her undies vs your mates bikes ;)

tjagain

I’ll take that as a compliment I think :-)

dyna-ti

I want to see TJ’s non-monstrosity e-bike

The fork has an under endowed look to it.

gravedigger
    Free Member

Ebikes older than the regs in 2016 can have a throttle and bikes previously used on the road and converted to an ebike can also have a throttle that works to 15.5mph, as summarised by an article on the Pedelecs website:

DfT: Pedal cycles converted to ‘twist and go’ exempt from type approval

When I wrote to the DfT for clarification they replied:

“I believe that the text you have quoted, which has been reproduced on the Pedelecs website, is from private correspondence with the Department for Transport which the recipient has obviously decided to make public. It is not an official document. However, my colleagues in International Vehicle Standards have confirmed that the website has correctly reporoduced their comments and the person writing the website has understood correctly”.

I’ve just converted my Turner with the CYC Photon kit and left the throttle on there.

Howver, I am considering removing it but for the possibillity that it might be useful for those times where you are negotiating a waterlogged/muddy rutted track. Not so useful for using it to try and get started on a very steep bit of track that you’ve made a mistake on and stopped due to the need to have your weight forward anyway – you’re better off trying to peddle due to weight distribution.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.