Home Forums Bike Forum eBike frame material?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • eBike frame material?
  • bowglie

Following the recent theft of our bikes, I am trying to make my mind up about a replacement.  I never thought I’d want an eBike, but having tried a Trek Rail, I am seriously thinking about it for days when I’m feeling my age (I’d definitely be keeping and riding my old ‘analog’ bike though, because it’s such a different feel).

Trek do the Rail in aluminium and carbon – identical spec on all the important bits (suspension, wheels and drivetrain), but about an £850 difference in price.  Being a serial bike swapper, I’ve experience of Alu, Steel, Ti and carbon frames on normal bikes, but I’m slightly sceptical about the advantage of carbon on an eBike.  There’s only about 3.7lbs difference between the bikes – they’re both around 50lbs!! I’m wondering if there’d be a noticeable difference in stiffness(?), or whether it’s just another way of milking money for a bit of bling.

Unfortunately, I’m going to struggle to demo both Alu and carbon back to back because of availability of the bikes.

Anyone on here have experience of testing Alu and carbon versions of eBikes?

tomhoward

For ebikes there’s no real point picking kit for its lack of weight, as they still weigh a lot. The only thing you benefit from are the carbon ones tend to have higher specced parts elsewhere (like higher capacity batteries etc) As they are higher up the product range.

Tracey

We have both. Turbo Levos. As above it was spec rather than weight which was the swung the deal

doomanic

If I had the money, I’d go for the lighter bike every time.

daveylad
    Free Member

Had a carbon bike, hated it. Anxious after every crash and hated hearing stones pinging off the downtube. So much happier now im back on ali.

bowglie

Have checked the spec on these two bikes  and the only differences (apart from frame material obvs) are: Carbon handlebars, a lighter saddle and… wait for it…,an 8g lighter stem!

On ‘analog’ bikes, I’ve always preferred lighter builds to make it easier uphill, but I can definitely understand what’s been said about hearing flying rocks clattering off carbon frames.  Given the mammoth weight of these ebikes, I guess it might knacker the carbon frame if it just fell over in my van😄

Tracey – from what you’ve said, it sounds like parts spec has a more noticeable difference than frame material(?).

I’ll be putting my own saddle on the new bike, and have seen the carbon bars for £90. I do like the colour of the carbon version, but the also the idea of saving about £750! Hmm…worse decisions to make I suppose😊

chiefgrooveguru

I bought the base model Levo and changed a few key components (fork, brakes, dropper) because I couldn’t see the value of paying loads extra for a carbon frame just to get a half decent fork. It’s never going to be light – but it has a motor, so who cares?!

bear-uk
    Free Member

The only time I wish my Ebike was carbon is when I cant quite get it over the bloody gate. But Im just a weakling, otherwise ally is fine

Tracey

On a like for like spec I would always take the carbon but on different specs would be looking at things like the better rear shock, hubs and wheels and then drive train.
    Also tend to buy on swap ability of parts so that if something goes wrong I can take of another bike to keep me going whilst I get it sorted.
    Never tend to worry over damaging a carbon frame and the ones we have killed I think any alloy one would have ended up the same.

chakaping

If you’re a serial bike swapper then don’t buy carbon, too much price differential from new to used.

Unless you’re absolutely minted of course.

damascus
    Free Member

In my opinion: the whole point of a light bike is to make pedelling it easier, quicker, more fun. I hate pedelling a boat anchor up a hill!

With an ebike you will go up the hill at the same speed, regardless of weight. The only difference is the lighter bike will probably get a few more miles, but how often do people empty a battery on a new ebike with a 40 miles range give or take?

If money isn’t an issue, buy the most expensive one. If you are asking about money then buy the cheaper one.

Personally, I’d buy the ally one so when I drop the 50 pound beast it won’t have a hole in it. I’d use the £850 to buy another battery to leave in the car so I can go round a Trail centre a couple more times. I’d also buy some lighter, stronger carbon rims and better tyres.

Disclaimer: I don’t have an ebike but I’ve tested a few customers ones that have been fixed and they do seem like a lot of fun but e mtbs are far too heavy! Carbon or ally

iainc

I bought one last week, full carbon and weighs I think about 50 pounds with fairly high level kit. Currently laid up after smashing my shoulder on first ride on it on Sunday. It landed quite hard on rocky stuff on the swingarm and sustained 3 small paint chips – I was fearing a lot worse !

martymac

Weigh isn’t irrelevant on an Ebike, but it’s quite a lot less relevant if that makes sense.
    Buy the alu framed bike and use the leftover cash to change the contact points to suit you, seat pedals. Grips bars.
    I did all those plus the wheels on mine.

My wife’s one is 4kg heavier than mine, but runtime is the same.
    4kg extra on an analogue bike would be a disaster, but on an ebike you’d be hard pressed to notice tbh.

bowglie

Thanks for the replies.  Interesting idea about getting an additional battery with money saved on the aluminium version.  Both carbon and Alu versions I’m looking at come with 625w/hr batteries that give a very decent range, but 500w/hr are available, and these are supposedly lighter and hopefully cheaper.  Going to check, but I guess the 500 battery will have enough range for what I need.

Much as I really like the colour of the carbon version, it is quite blingy looking, and after just having our bikes pinched, I’m slightly paranoid about getting a really flash looking replacement – mind you, my stolen bike was stealth matt black, and that didn’t put the thieves off…..f***ers! 😡

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘eBike frame material?’ is closed to new replies.