Home Forums Chat Forum eBay , paypal distance selling regs.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • eBay , paypal distance selling regs.
  • zippykona

Bike I want to buy on eBay but I want to view it before I buy it then press Buy It Now when I’m happy.
    Would I still have distance buying protection?
    If not I can by other means. How much would the seller save in fees by accepting friends and family or cash for £1700?

zilog6128

Is it a shop? CCR does not apply to private sales. What are you hoping to achieve?

ossify

As above distance selling doesn’t apply to private, however if you’re only paying after collecting then you have some protection (eg, if the frame is cracked then just don’t pay. Ebay should protect you from non-payment strikes etc if you say it wasn’t as described).

Buyers I’ve collected from in the past have been understanding that if I arrive and it turns out to be no good then I won’t take it… on the other hand don’t take this too far and mess them around! I’ve never actually refused anything after showing up, so who knows how it would actually play out lol.

zippykona

Fee wise , I’ve looked on a calculator and he will be stung over £200. is that correct?

I feel a cheeky cash offer is due.

andrewh
    Free Member

As a seller I’m always happy to knock the fees amount off for cash. They get a bargain and I get no timewasters with buyers remorse trying to get a refund.

Check it thoroughly and then make him an offer if you like it

Blazin-saddles

Fee wise , I’ve looked on a calculator and he will be stung over £200. is that correct?

unless he’s listed it using an  80% off fvf offer in which case it’ll be £49.77

Cougar

1) Distance Selling Regulations doesn’t exist and hasn’t for almost a decade.

2) You want to go view the bike and then buy through ebay?  Write them a cheque / hand over the cash when you take it away.

3) However much he may have to pay in fees is his problem, surely.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You want to go view the bike and then buy through ebay?  Write them a cheque / hand over the cash when you take it away.

Reads that’s way – Then he wants to be able to take it back after a period if he has buyers remorse.

Sounds like an ideal buyer.

zippykona

It’s an e-bike. I can fix most things on a normal bike. If the motor is shagged or the battery only lasts for 10 miles I’d like a bit of protection, hence a bit of PayPal backup.

Previous “excellent condition bikes”on eBay have been far from what was advertised. Hence ,I’d like to see what I’m buying before I spend my money.

Yes I am an ideal buyer.

sharkbait
    Free Member

If the motor is shagged or the battery only lasts for 10 miles I’d like a bit of protection, hence a bit of PayPal backup.

How are you going to assess the battery condition?

dyna-ti

How much would the seller save in fees by accepting friends and family or cash for £1700?

I think thats immaterial, and sorry to be so mercenary, but should anything go amiss there is nothing to say the seller will happily accept his bike back and return your money.

Morality doesnt come into it, because you dont know their personal circumstances.

I'[d agree with the op and take all the protection he can

zilog6128

I don’t think eBay gives you this kind of protection when you collect in person. PayPal definitely doesn’t.  OP would have to get the item posted.

matt_outandabout

eBike? Buy from a shop.

Too many scare stories.

Dickyboy

You’ll have to “buy it now” to be able to get their contact details anyway with eBay, then if you dig around a bit it will let you pay cash on collection but it’s hard to avoid fees these days & if you do you’ll have zero protection.

Cougar

I’d like a bit of protection, hence a bit of PayPal backup.

If you’re paying for a bike via Paypal for an ebay purchase and the buyer lets you ride it away, you’re golden because the seller is an idiot.

kelron
    Free Member

Using paypal payments for collection in person has as much protection as any ebay purchase now – collection code so buyer can’t claim not received.

It’s still a private sale for a used bike and you can’t return it, but could presumably refuse to accept it and have ebay reverse the payment if it’s not as described when you go to collect.

Daffy

As much as I’m a fan of a SH bargain.  I’m not sure I’d put an ebike in that category, not with all the failures you seem to read about.

Cougar

Using paypal payments for collection in person has as much protection as any ebay purchase now – collection code so buyer can’t claim not received.

Oh.  This is news.  I sit corrected, cheers.

bensales
    Free Member

Don’t assume the seller isn’t willing to pay eBay fees for some small protection on their side. They’re selling an expensive bit of kit, they’re using a platform that charges, but offers to protect them as a seller and handle payment for them. With eBay Payments now, and the collection codes, it’s much harder for a fraudulent buyer to game the collect in person scenario and say something isn’t as described any more.

If you want to make an offer, send them a message with your offer and if they accept, ask them to send you the offer back using eBay’s mechanism, intuitively titled “Send Offer”. Then either pay using a credit card, or cash on collection of the agreed amount.  If you want to view, then arrange a viewing before doing any of this.  Whenever I’ve sold bikes on eBay, including some worth a lot more than 1700, I’ve always insisted buyers view the bike before buying anyway.

Personally, anyone asking to do a deal outside eBay gets a short shrift from me. I’m using eBay for a reason and I’m well aware of the fees. Otherwise it’d be in the Wild West of Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree.

Oh, and eBay doesn’t really use PayPal any more. I’m sure you can still pay with it, but it’s not their payment handler now.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.