Home Forums Chat Forum Dyson or another brand?

• This topic has 55 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by cbike.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Dyson or another brand?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So our Dyson DC24 (useless little thing) died today. Well actually it set on fire!!

So, we need to replace it and the wife has her heart set on another Dyson.

I think there might be better for cheaper out there?

What vacuum cleaner (must be upright) are people using/recommending?

Thank You

Greybeard
    Free Member

Sebo. Ours has worked well.

RustySpanner

Never seen a Dyson used by choice outside someone’s home – they’re just an overpriced lifestyle brand, like Santa Cruz or Yeti.
    I do believe they make your carpets come alive though.

We use Numatic bagged cylinder cleaners at work.
    They last forever.

fasthaggis

A lot of people hate Dyson.
    I don’t ,ours have been fantastic and apart from a few drive belts ,have never stopped. If the one we have now dies I will get another*

*not the stupid ball one though ,as the bearings self distruct (alledgedly)

nickjb
    Free Member

Never seen a Dyson used by choice outside someone’s home.

We use Numatic bagged cylinder cleaners at work.
    They last forever.Depends on your priorities. The filtration on numatics is pretty poor so they blow a lot if the very fine dust back into the air. Dysons have very fine filtration but aren’t so robust. I have a numatic in the workshop where robustness is important and Dyson in the house for good pick up and fine dust removal.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Upright Dysons seem bombproof and work well enough, we still have a DC4 that has survived lots of plaster hoovering duties. The cylinders are rubbish though.

ourmaninthenorth

Sebo Felix for the win.

trickster200
    Free Member

Just call dyson organize a full service/replacement, lst time was £70 they replace ALL parts that need it.

vondally

sebo

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

What Sebo model?

Which Dyson model are people recommending?

GTDave
    Free Member

Depends, something upright with a decent motorised brush bar if you have mostly carpets, or a cylinder if not.
    Our Dyson died after 10 years of stirling service. We replaced with a Sebo, which didnt seem as good, so we replaced that with a DC55 Dyson. Happy with it, though these newer ones definitely feel a lot more plasticy / fragile. Performance is really good, so hopefully my initial concerns will prove wrong.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Miele or a Henry

I hate Dyson, massively overpriced. The ex wanted them, first one died when the motor blew, insisted on another which in my view was no better than the Henry. The bagless setup means huge amount of dust floating around when it’s time to empty it

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Numatic do HEPA grade bags. What more do you want? :)

finishthat
    Free Member

sebo x4 shop around and will find with 5 year gtee for 220ish
    quiet, lihgt , all spares available no dust due to decent filters and bags

Del

last ex came equipped with a dyson. it was shit. when it finally died she went out and bought another one, which was also shit. when i got shot i got a henry, which is good, and cost less than half what the dyson cost. bags available that will filter very fine particles.
    as an aside, i’m also sick of dyson ( and now his son ) trotting out the old trope about manufacturing not being supported by government in this country, and about no-one in manufacturing really being interested. if the weasle wanted to do something about it, he’d manufacture in this country. he ( and now his son ) manufacture in malaysia. dickhead. :|

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Nail
    ——-
    Head

seadog101

Our dyson’s been brilliant. Of course, now it will spontaneously combust and burn the house down…

jambalaya
    Free Member

@del Dyson used to manufacture in the UK and made a big deal about as part of their marketing. Once the company was large and successful he moced to manufacturing to Asia like much of the competition

globalti
    Free Member

Dysons are shite – go to my local washing machine & vac repair place and you’ll see a sorry forest of Dysons standing in the front waiting for repair. Dyson is a brilliant psychologist – he hit on the idea of allowing the user to see what they have actually collected, which makes them feel good about it. What people don’t realise is that there are proper vacs out there like Henrys that are used by professionals and do a proper job at a fraction of the price of the Dyson fashion accessory.

stumpyjon

Nilfisk alto 26, cracking hoover, £120 in screwfix at the moment, sucks well and bagged. Also does wet clean up well. There seems to be a bit of inverse snobbery over the Henry, bit like the Dyson, well marketed (giving it eyes and a name) but no better than the competition IMHO.

Drac

Dyson.

Had 2 in 18 years the first one was secondhand and was about 10 years old when we replaced it. It’s still going at a friend’s house. Ours is now 14 years old and still going strong.

Best of all they’re bag less so no dust when taking the bag off. Simply take the cylinder outside and empty into the contents into the bin.

prettygreenparrot

I have a DC01 that still works well. It’s had a new hose, a new rubber belt for its brush, and a few filters. It still cleans well and stays upstairs.

The other DC01 we had still worked well as an upright but the hose wore out and Dyson don’t make hoses for these 20 year old machines. I bought a DC50 to replace it. Brilliant suction, great on turns. Light enough to use on the stairs as an upright.

Problems I’ve found with Dysons may not be unique to them but include:
    sucking up sweet wrappers causes blockages
    sucking up chewed cardboard causes blockages
    millet stalks get trapped in the hose or cyclone inlet

Several relatives swear by Miele vacuum cleaners, eschewing Dysons as average in reliability, expensive, and insufficiently robust.

I used Nilfisks to clean when I worked in a store. Never again. Henrys fared better.

molgrips
    Free Member

Never seen a Dyson used by choice outside someone’s home – they’re just an overpriced lifestyle brand

Bolx. I’ve had one that was a little feeble, then the current one I bought in 2004 and it’s been great. Plaster dust, building mess, no issues. Can’t remember the model, but it’s the cylinder one advertised as animal dust filtering. I’ll post up a picture of the contents of the bin next time.. it sucks up some remarkably large objects and never blocked.

I checked out a few, and out of two that had brush heads, it looked by far the better option. The Miele one was pretty feeble looking, and cost much more.

Miele – there’s a lifestyle brand if there ever was one. Three times the price of everything else but ooh.. feel the quality.. ooh.. it’s just so.. REAL…yah right.

go to my local washing machine & vac repair place and you’ll see a sorry forest of Dysons standing in the front waiting for repair

I wonder if that’s because they are repairable, the spares being available, and people think it’s worth it? And perhaps because they are popular? Lots of sundry brands of vacuum cleaner in a pile at our local tip…

nickjb
    Free Member

i’m also sick of dyson ( and now his son ) trotting out the old trope about manufacturing not being supported by government in this country, and about no-one in manufacturing really being interested. if the weasle wanted to do something about it, he’d manufacture in this country. he ( and now his son ) manufacture in malaysia. dickhead.

I’m quite sick of people trotting out this same old nonsense too. He was very keen to keep manufacture in the UK but found it very difficult, hence complaining about the lack of support for it. He was not allowed to expand his site in Malmesbury so as the company grew he chose move manufacturing abroad to keep the the skilled jobs (research, design and development) in the UK. He now employs hundreds of engineers and scientists in the UK, a lot of whom came through education paid for by Dyson. He’s a big supporter of UK industry.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Dyson overpriced? Utter tosh. My DC04 was bought in the January sales of the yr2000 for about £250. It’s only just starting to show signs that things might not be as good as they were on dat 1 si 15 yrs For £250 sounds like pretty good value to me. We’ve just replaced with the latest ball one for £315 with a load of extra attachments bundled in and It’s great (so far as you can get excited about hovers). And as usual it’s brilliant. Suction is amazing, it is so good that on a laminate floor you can feel the drag due to the suction. The only downside is the amount of times you have to empty it……except that’s a good thing as it means it’s working!

I’m sure there are other options, it’s quite possible that scientific test could show that a Sebo might be 3.452% better than a Dyson, but if I find a product that properly works and pleases me I tend to stick with them, why take the risk in moving to something else?

Besides the alternatives are not exactly much cheaper and you still have to buy bags so have an ongoing faff and cost.

pictonroad

I don’t get the dyson hate either, I’ve had 2, lost the 1st one with the old wife. New one has been abused daily for 5 years, strong suction, great filtration and instant dust free emptying. Motor burnt out after 5 years, had it replaced for £50, all spares are available and a big network of repairers.

Accidentally bought a Hoover prior to this Dyson, last about 6 months, utter tripe.

LHS
    Free Member

Recent convert to Dyson here. We won one of the the cordless animal vacuum cleaners over xmas. The thing is amazing. Light, quiet powerful. Very very good product.

BillMC

Vaxx.

cookeaa
    nickc

I’ve got a Henry

Look at its little face, Awww sweet

What was the question again?

stumpy01

While I don’t ‘hate’ Dysons, I am no great fan of them.

We had one that (we thought) worked fine, but was expensive compared to other vacuums at the time and was very heavy.
    When we replaced it, we spent £100 on a Samsung upright. It wasn’t available in fancy colours and it didn’t have various marketing spiel attached to it, but it blew the Dyson out of the water in terms of performance.
    There was so much dirt and cat hairs left in the carpets that the Dyson hadn’t been picking up, that the carpet actually looked a different colour once we’d been round it with the new Samsung (pretty grim thinking about it). We had to empty the collector box thing after just doing the living room, as it had pulled so much stuff up that the Dyson had missed.
    We’ve had it at least 7 years now & it’s still going strong, never had to change any belts/filters etc. just wash the filters occasionally. Oh, and it’s lighter than the Dyson was so much easier to lug around.

It would take a lot of convincing for me to buy a Dyson again over the cheaper alternatives.

BadlyWiredDog

Dyson are feeble girls’ machines, you want a Maelstrøm Apocalypse. They’re manufactured to aerospace grade tolerances in Swedish Lapland by a company that also manufactures lightweight anti-tank weapons for the Swedish military. There’s none of this feeble HEPA bollocks, just a Chunkstrø redistribution matrix which filters out larger fragments like shrapnel and crockery fragments using Intelligent Recognition Software before grading swept particles according to size range – brilliant if you’re looking for something you’ve accidentally swept up.

Literally bombproof and able to withstand drops of up to 50 metres and emerge unscathed. Last but not least, the Apocalypse has a patented animal grade filter which prevents the machine from sucking up unwary pets and mini flame thrower add-on for those hard-to-reach spiders.

My Dyson DC05 has lasted around 16 years now and the Maelstrøm Apocalypse is the only machine I’d replace it with.

al2000

We’ve had a Dyson DC05 since 1999, and in that time it’s been serviced once, and has needed a new dust collecty bit, a new wand thing and a couple of new filters, and that’s it. Still works really well, not bad going I think.

Spares were readily available and reasonably priced, although they’ve now stopped producing spares or servicing them which is a bit of a p1sser.

Based on how it’s done though, I’d probably buy another one.

Del

from wikipedia:

Dyson stated that the company requested planning permission to expand the factory to increase vacuum cleaner production, but that this application failed. However, the local government says that no such permission was ever sought, as the land Dyson planned to use was privately owned and the original owner did not want to sell

on the radio a few weeks ago dyson said ‘we looked at manufacturing in the UK, but nobody was really interested’. sounds a lot to me like ‘nobody was really interested in working for us for the amount of money we were willing to pay, here’s where we manufacture now, in malaysia, where they’ll take a lot less’.
    he doesn’t give a stuff about ‘keeping the skilled jobs in the UK’, if he could get the engineers in malaysia for a fraction of the cost of here he’d do that too. it’s the usual line you get when a businessman can get things done cheaper elsewhere. i don’t blame him for that, he has to make money after all or no-one has work, it’s the hypocrisy i’m not keen on.
    maybe when wages are comparable to those in malaysia they’ll look at manufacturing in the UK again. :|

nickjb
    Free Member

he doesn’t give a stuff about ‘keeping the skilled jobs in the UK’,

So why sponsor UK students, colleges, courses, young entrepreneurs? Why have a huge number of skilled jobs still in the UK now? He’s been operating here for 20 years without moving. Yes he could pay more and keep manufacture in the uk as well but I suspect that would be fighting on too many fronts. I support him for supporting the skilled end and getting youngsters designing and engineering in the UK.

Doesn’t look like he is planning to move the engineering to Malaysia any time soon. 5000+ skilled engineering jobs. http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/BREAKING-Dyson-WINS-planning-permission-double/story-21187578-detail/story.html

And as for the wiki link. It might not have got as far as formal planning but it was discussed with the council.
    the North Wiltshire District Council leader, Ruth Coleman, explained in a deliberately tactful tone yesterday.
    “The problem is that we could not give them planning permission because it is not designated as an industrial site on the local plan.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wilts-worried-by-dyson-plan-to-expand-into-greenfield-vacuum-1096000.html

Del

well the western daily press reported 700 new jobs in january, on the second page of google hits ( dyson malmesbury ) the telegraph reports 3000 new jobs on the same day, as does the gazette and herald, so i guess if you average that out you might get a number near 5000. he’s an excellent publicist for sure.
    i don’t begrudge him his success, nor the opportunities he has provided for engineers in this country ( at all ), but if you think he wouldn’t do it somewhere else cheaper if he could, you’re kidding yourself. and i don’t blame him for that.
    wrt his planning application, the council couldn’t grant an application for planning consent on land he didn’t own, could they? unfortunately the citation on the wiki page doesn’t go anywhere.

cookeaa

We’ve got the DC35 cordless jobbie which is OK for whipping round and not worrying about trailing cables but it’s not quite sucky enough to justify getting rid of our big old Vax (basically a commercial vac) and TBH I find the Dyson so much bloody faff to maintain: The motorised brush head just gets blocked up and full of crap and needs clearing out weekly, the collection tub get’s full in a few minutes and never empties out fully without needing you to jam something in and loosen some bit of shite, you have to disassemble most of the thing to get at the filter and clear that out…

Worst of all, these various minor maintenance tasks are not particularly intuitive for the Wimmins, so I end up having to sort the thing out most of the time, she just hands it to me saying “it’s not picking up again, as if it’s my fault, but she refuses to use the old vax because it’s heavier and involves plugging something in…

Dyson are masters of applying overcomplicated fussy design in something which should be a simple, usable household tool, but also has a couple of USP’s that most of their competitors could easily replicate and don’t quite, it’s what happens when you use “Industrial designers” rather than “Product designers”…

nickjb
    Free Member

The number I quoted was based on long term expansion over 10 years. Given how much it has expanded in the last 15 years and how much is being invested it is pretty believable but only an estimate.

but if you think he wouldn’t do it somewhere else cheaper if he could, you’re kidding yourself.

Really not sure what you mean. He’s doing it where he considers to the be the best place. I really can’t see him suddenly saying engineers are cheaper in China, were off, partly because engineers ARE cheaper in China and he’s still here.

the council couldn’t grant an application for planning consent on land he didn’t own, could they?

yes they can. I could apply to build a block of flats in your garden. Doesn’t mean I could then build it.

convert

As someone involved in education in an area that benefits from the ‘dyson effect’, I say James Dyson rocks! Lots of initiatives for school children and students either started or sponsored by Dyson and he gives a hell of a lot of speeches and time to promote engineering and the industry in general. More than that he is a massive R&D employer and I have a number of ex students that now work for him or worked for him and have gone on to great things. He is a recognisable personality in the UK that helps to make engineering and design engineering a bit more cool and taking a leap of faith into getting a degree in the field less challenging. I also think the back story of getting to where he was, setting up against the big boys of the time via the wheelbarrow pretty much everybody of my generation has a picture of themselves sitting in as a kid is pretty inspirational. Yes, he moved much of his manufacturing overseas but now employs more folk in the UK than ever before.

Having said that, through work I have quite a lot to do with the Conrans with whom he had a massive failing out over the Design Museum so I have to keep my Dyson man love to myself most of the time!

ransos
    Free Member

We had one. It was expensive, noisy, heavy and unreliable. We replaced it with a Miele which is superior in every respect.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Dyson or another brand?’ is closed to new replies.