Home Forums Chat Forum Dyson cooling fan….. anything else to consider

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Dyson cooling fan….. anything else to consider
  • wukfit
    Free Member

SWMBO is suffering a bit with the current warmth in our house (we have a new kitten so can’t open all the doors)
    I’m happy to go buy a Dyson cooling fan to keep her happy (despite his stance on Brexit etc.), but wondered if there’s anything else I should be looking at instead?
    I did see an air conditioning thing at home bargains for £70ish, but it looked a bit ugly and would probably be noisy

philxx1975
    Free Member

Dyson stuff is shite especially those airblades.

bearnecessities

Who needs a Which? subscription with in-depth reviews like that.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Dyson fans work fine, we’ve a few at work. Very quiet. but just a bit pricey.

wukfit
    Free Member

Thanks Phil
    I’ve always found the air blades brilliant if you use them properly (use the air to “scrape” the water off), much better than softly blowing warmish air

What would you recommend as an alternative to the fan?

philxx1975
    Free Member

Anything that doesn’t leave a high powered jet of used soap and water scum down the wall or on the floor or on your shirt or on your trousers.

wukfit
    Free Member

Thanks again Phil, but I’m not actually asking for hand dryer recommendations as I tend to just use whatever is already installed in the toilets (it’s easier than taking my own with me)

croe
    Free Member

Not going to win any awards for style or quietness but it doesn’t half shift some air and will cool a room down quickly.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/18-floor-fan-220-240v/3939x

maccruiskeen

those fans from Screwfix are pretty basic – I use them in the workshop when I need to dry paint in a hurry. They rattle, hum and vibrate and you’ll notice that more if you have wooden  rather than concrete floors. Not things you’d really want in your house on anything more than a temporary basis

Twodogs

Dyson stuff is shite especially those airblades.

Subscriber
    Who needs a Which? subscription with in-depth reviews like that.

To be fair, that does actually summarise the actual Which report…overpriced, and not very good

johndoh
    Free Member

The Dyson thing is shite – we got a ‘Heat and Cool’ one for the office –
    Yes it heats but it *DOES NOT* cool – it just blows ambient air around. IE,
    a fan.

philxx1975
    Free Member

The Dyson thing is shite – we got a ‘Heat and Cool’ one for the office –
    Yes it heats but it *DOES NOT* cool – it just blows ambient air around. IE,
    a fan.

Thanks again Phil, but I’m not actually asking for hand dryer

Good job it seems they’re both shite.

Maybe standing in a carrier bag will let you keep your shoes clean at least whilst in the toilet.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

We’ve got a Dyson fan in the office and it doesn’t seem any quieter or better then the normal cheapo fans we also have, though it does look nicer.

DrP

Meetings I used to go to had the dyson fans in each corner.. They look nice, and blow air well.

But… Look online at actual functional reviews, and they work no better that a £9.99 fan from Argos.

But they look cool.

Meh…

Hot pod yoga I go to has the heater ones. Set them to 37 degrees and new and the yoga pant crew are sweating buckets in no time!!

DrP

ransos
    Free Member

You could look at evaporative coolers as they provide a bit of cooling rather than recirculating warm air.

jonnyrobertson

Only ever seen one Dyson fan in operation. Didn’t seem to be much (if any) better than a normal fan. Certainly not worth the money. A decent fan (about the 50 quid mark) would do a good job of being both quiet and powerful enough I’d imagine. A £17 Blaupunkt jobbie from B&M is doing just fine for me though. You could put one of those in every room of the house for less than one Dyson fan…

As for air coolers they are not really for use in this country. They work great in dry air but anywhere with higher levels of humidity renders them less effective. A good link here (note how they are referred to as Swamp Coolers…) https://www.sylvane.com/swamp-cooler-buying-tips.html#Do

flange
    Free Member

I’ve got two of the fans. I’d not buy a third.

Under powered and expensive

cookeaa

I’ve been half wondering if aircon in the bedrooms is an option for our house the last couple of weeks, and that’s without us having to keep doors and windows closed…

We’ve opted for the lots of cheap fans option for the price of a single Dyson you can buy lots of normal fans, yes they are only stirring the hot air round, but it still helps with general comfort…

DrJ

When I lived in a hot place we had ceiling fans – fairly quiet and kept the place liveable without having the a/c on 24/7. Unfortunately my current flat does not have high enough ceilings to install fans without constant danger of a haircut.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well a fan is a fan of course so not sure how anyone expects a Dyson fan to do anything more than any other fan in terms of the way it functions and Dyson doesn’t claim any more than that. Price aside the benefit of a Dyson fan is the fact it doesn’t have a big rotating bladed fan so the thing is more compact and can be put into corners or little spaces and still provide the benefits of a normal fan. Also the stream of air from the Dyson seems to be more concentrated so when it’s pointing at you, you feel the benefit of it more than a conventional fan due to the rotation of the bladed fan dispersing the air much more. Also the small impeller consumes less electricity and in my experience they are much quieter than normal fans when at the high speed. Of course you get the usual Dyson premium for the styling and ‘design’ which you either buy into or not…bit like a £1000 Mac over a £300 cheapo laptop, a Merc over a Hyundai, a Miele over a Candy..all these products do the job as well as each other, but go about it differently and have different appeal. You’re either prepared to pay for that or not.

But despite all that they are chuffing expensive…not sure I’d justify the price premium over a conventional fan…you can have three or more conventional fans so if you’re not bothered about energy consumption that is the best solution for actual cooling effect.

DrJ

bit like a £1000 Mac over a £300 cheapo laptop, a Merc over a Hyundai, a Miele over a Candy

Santa Cruz over a Halfords…

TiRed

Tell her to run cool water over the inisde of her wrists. Should cool her down quickly. As for the hand driers – only useful for cleaning glasses. How are you supposed to wipe your face in the modern facility?

gggg
    Free Member

I’m boycotting Dyson but the fans don’t seem great anyway. Managing the heat in the house can help a lot. Keep the windows and doors closed when it’s hotter out than in. Keep the curtains blinds etc facing the sun closed. If you can spray the sun facing walls of the house with a hose then that can have a dramatic cooling effect. I’ve not tried an evaporative cooler but that would be my next choice. Yes they don’t work great in high humidity but it hasn’t been that humid recently most of the days is been hot so they should be somewhat effective.

nash

I’ve got one of these, is quieter than a cheap fan and does a Good job of moving the air around, but doesn’t cool it. Think they’re a bit cheaper in Costco. https://www.meaco.com/cooling/meacofan-1056-air-circulator

baboonz
    Free Member

At these temperatures a £20 fan should be more than enough.

croe
    Free Member

What about a normal fan sitting blowing air over a huge ice cube?

FuzzyWuzzy

I almost bought a Dyson purifier + fan but reading reviews it seemed it wasn’t particularly quiet so didn’t bother.

I have a Fan

works well but is noisy (although fine for watching the TV with the fan 1.5m away and on setting 1, just need to turn the TV volume up a bit)

Our office air con is playing up at the moment (getting to 29c), so they got 5 of those evaporative coolers and they seemed crap (very noisy and unless pointed at you didn’t provide any cooling effect). They tried them with ice in the next day and although better for about an hour they weren’t very effective after that (and constantly refilling with ice would be a PITA).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the Dyson desk cool fans – I got it as I saw reviews saying that the hot and cold one doesn’t cool…

It works very well.

I’ve got a large floor stand honeywell it moves air around well but doesn’t cool it, so not much cop and it staying in the loft unless I am desperate. I am thinking of replacing it with a floor standing Dyson cool fan…

I have 3 of those small Honeywell HT900Es that I use on the turbo trainer but have brought one into the house when it is very hot, and again they move air around well but that’s it.

The dyson has less power than the Honeywells but it does cool the air and it is quiet.

At night time, about an hour before going to bed, I will open the bedroon window and put the dyson on the outside of the window frame, with the open window holding it against the frame, turn it on to 9 or 10, and close the bedroom door.

Then when I go to bed the room is much cooler than the rest of the house.

I then turn the Dyson down to 1 and let it run for the rest of the night to keep us cool.

The Honeywells don’t work anywhere near as well when used like this, plus they are too noisy anyway.

If there were more people in the house I would buy another Dyson for the other bedroom – I think it is good value actually considering what it does and how I get a decent nights sleep even when it’s hot.

I’m wary of Which reviews and whenever I read one on an area I know something about their priorities when considering whether something is good and good value-for-money seem wrong and often very short sighted.

I seem to remember them recommending Equitable Life and London Life pensions and look what happened to them…

hatter

That Meaco jobbie does look good, we’ve been looking for a non-Brexity Dyson alternative for the last few months so we’ve taken a punt on that one, as said above needs to be quiet for use at night.

Will report back.

5lab
    Free Member

worth looking at mist fans if you want to actually cool a room – they use them a lot in places which are warm (but they can cause high humidity if you use them a lot)

raybanwomble
    Free Member

There’s no such thing as a cooling fan unless it’s an evapourative cooler or uses heat exchanger (air conditioning). None of those systems are used in any Dyson fan.

I tried telling some of my colleagues this but they looked at me puzzed and said “but it says Hot and Cool”.

brassneck

Evaporative coolers are pretty hopeless here, unless you’re prepared to load them with ice cubes every night. Proper floor standing aircons are good, but cost to run and usually need to drain somewhere (stick the ‘elephants nose’ out the window), and usually hum annoyingly.
    I’d just find a quiet fan and take that as best of a bad job.

DezB
    Free Member

This thread won’t be the first time someone’s pissed on their shoes and blamed it on the hand dryer.

wukfit
    Free Member

DezB 😂🤣😂

wukfit
    Free Member

After advice on here I just went and bought a £35 fan from Argos, although she doesn’t like to look of it it probably functions just as well

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

There’s no such thing as a cooling fan unless it’s an evapourative cooler or uses heat exchanger (air conditioning). None of those systems are used in any Dyson fan.

That may be so but the Dyson has a far greater cooling effect than any of my other fans, which don’t have any cooling effect but just seem to move the air around…

And using as I described, because it is much quieter, gives me a decent nights sleep whereas I can’t use the other fans as they are too noisy.

If it broke I’d buy another one as it has been good value for me.

5lab
    Free Member

That may be so but the Dyson has a far greater cooling effect than any of my other fans, which don’t have any cooling effect but just seem to move the air arou

the only way the dyson is cooling air more is by moving more of it over your (relatively) warm skin, possibly because you set it to run more powerfully as it’s quieter? The air is the same temperature as every other fan.

Ceiling fans work quite well, as they are large diameter and thus make very little noise compared to the amount of air shifted

footflaps

worth looking at mist fans if you want to actually cool a room – they use them a lot in places which are warm (but they can cause high humidity if you use them a lot)

Some French regional airports use mist systems as their air conditioning…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the only way the dyson is cooling air more is by moving more of it over your (relatively) warm skin, possibly because you set it to run more powerfully as it’s quieter? The air is the same temperature as every other fan.

you can protest as much as you like but I’m the one with several fans to choose from including the Dyson, and the Dyson is the preferable one.

I think it perhaps moves less air than a normal fan but the stream of air is more concentrated.

martymac

There’s a difference between a fan which cools air (aircon)
    Or a fan which cools you by blowing ambient air over your skin.
    I’m with phil re dyson stuff though, overpriced and not much cop.
    There’s always absolutely tons of it at the tip though, im not sure what that says about build quality.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Dyson cooling fan….. anything else to consider’ is closed to new replies.