Home Forums Bike Forum Dunkeld Trail Advice.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Dunkeld Trail Advice.
  • singlespeedstu

Up at Dunkeld for a few days soon and never been before.
    Any must do trails?
    Any trails to avoid/ be overgrown?

mashr

Winch n plummet or more XC?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve been a couple of times. Last time we just stayed on Birnam Hill, there’s an excellent burger van in the car park at the train station, so well worth parking up there. We did Pink Floyd and Rake and Ruin, I prefer the latter but I think it might get a bit overgrown but it’s a really fast and flowy trail. After lunch we played around on the other side of the burn, Electric Beaver etc. Would have liked to have gone over to Atholl Hill but went to the pub instead.

nickc

Drop into Progression Bikes and they have a A5 map that has a kind of “Highlights Tour” it’s a 3-4 hours ride of some of the best bits. I’d start there.

Oh, and don’t forget to buy something!

singlespeedstu

Definitely winch and plummet.
    Even though I hate that phrase.

but went to the pub instead.

Was it any good?
    Don’t mind a beer or three after a ride.

Will drop into Progression.

mashr

Soz, Enduro trails?

The Dunkeld Enduro route is a good place to start. Covers quite a lot of the area, but still misses Athol Hill and the tamer Electric Beaver area stuff

https://strava.app.link/Ll6aHrkI0rb

singlespeedstu

The Dunkeld Enduro route is a good place to start.

Cheers. We’ve already seen that on Trailforks routes will give it a go.

Soz, Enduro trails?

That’s better.😂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The pub/hotel on the high street is a bit of a dump.

It was pretty overgrown in areas. My suggestion in terms of toughness is Birnham is the easiest trails, there is some decent stuff on Atholl, which are a step up in tech.

On Atholl my favourite was Rocky Balboa, but some of the slightly hidden stuff over by yer maw, etc was pretty decent.

Mostly enjoyed Craigvinean. Fool Skool is super overgrown at the entrance but great to ride still & The Blue Route is a belter (it’s definitely not a blue!).

Shackleton
    Free Member

Drop into Progression Bikes and they have a A5 map that has a kind of “Highlights Tour” it’s a 3-4 hours ride of some of the best bits. I’d start there.

This

Oh, and don’t forget to buy something!

There are some new Tayside Trail Association riding jerseys where all profit goes to TTA. Currently only available from progression bikes. Look smart and supports the trails that you are riding on!

didnthurt

I went for the first time (well have been a few times riding more XC/gravel) and just used Trail Forks. Rode Birnum woods and my favourite trail was the one from the top next to the Cairn that skirts the fence line, lovely steep stuff.
    I was knackered after a few hours. There is so much choice.
    I envy you being there for a few days but I’d need an e-bike or my legs would destroyed after a couple of days.

didnthurt

Did they not have an Enduro race there this year? Could always find the route and have a
    look.

singlespeedstu

I envy you being there for a few days but I’d need an e-bike or my legs would destroyed after a couple of days.

We’re there for four days and taking our eebers with us.😁

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Went to the Tay Bank. Lots of outdoor seating and food options.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

@LD was kind enough to show me around when I was there in March. The second page of this thread has loads of info on it. Mainly from him, but also some notes from me.

Must Do [ and snow free?] MTB Routes in Scotland

This is the Dunkeld day:
    : https://strava.app.link/a62FPphS0rb

Also had an excellent day at Pitlochry. Ben Vrackie was brilliant. Cathro’s downhill was even better.

https://strava.app.link/zBdeCZvS0rb

mashr

We’re there for four days and taking our eebers with us.😁

Now we’re talking

Day 1 – Birnam Hill (and Electric Beaver area)
    Day 2 – Craigvinean Forest
    Day 3 – Athol Hill
    Day 4 – Mast

Probably can’t really do a whole day on each hill but you can always try!

singlespeedstu

Cheers all.
    All sounds good.

beamishblue
    Free Member

Maybe spend a day at Pitlochry as well? Brilliant trails just a short drive up the A9.

nickc

and taking our eebers with us

You won’t regret it, the track up to Rake and Ruin or Pink Floyd alone is a slog on a regular bike.

intheborders
    Free Member

I had a long weekend there a month or so ago, just used Trailforks to get me around and did 3 out of the 4 hills (missed out on the Mast trails as I did a gravel loop instead), still managed +5000ft each day. Very much like the Tweed Valley trails you ride here.

Rake & Ruin is probably my fav for riding and Taybank for drinking etc as outside bar for bringing the bike in. I can absolutely recommend the Scottish Deli for an evening meal.

fathomer

Timely thread, me and the Mrs have 3 nights up there in September having never been before. We won’t be on eebers though, I’ll not tell her it’s a slog :)

spacey

Was just about to add a link to the thread that the generalist dropped in there. The info was spot on, we had a great day round there in May, as other have said R&R was a highlight, also really enjoyed yer maw on Athol, the other side of the road. Sorry feel bad I never dropped a thanks into that other thread @LD and @thegeneralist really was very helpful!

wonnyj
    Free Member

@ld showed me around as well.

Bakery for lunch is a top tip. So good.

LD
    Free Member

@singlespeedstu happy to do a tour but no eeb and on recovery from back injury! When you up?
    Not much to add other than Mast is likely to be overgrown depending on whether folks have been clearing. It’s not a full day but most similar to golfie etc. Steep.
    If you take Hob Nobs recommendations above then pack your big boy pants! Craigvinnean can be brutal in the wet. Cairn to Cottage is the not to be missed run on that side IMO, steep techy but less enclosed so dries quicker.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

the thread that the generalist dropped in there. The info was spot on, we had a great day round there in May, as other have said R&R was a highlight, also really enjoyed yer maw on Athol, the other side of the road. Sorry feel bad I never dropped a thanks into that other thread @LD and @thegeneralist really was very helpful!

LD dod indeed give loads of info, and a great afternoon out.

From my PoV, I’ve started stacks of threads asking for info on various locations. I have always had loads of excellent info from people in response and it’s what I pay my £39 per year subs for TBH.
    I always try to revisit my threads afterwards to add what info I can, and hopefully some photos in the hope that it provides the next person with info and dare I say it inspiration.

Happy days.

singlespeedstu

@LD
    We’re up here now.🤣

Just ridden Burnham Hill
    Bit underwhelmed TBH
    Rake and Ruin was okish the rest was very meh.

Rake and Ruin.

Taybank has some Tiny Rebel beer on thought so it’s not all bad.
    Try another hill tomorrow when we have a full day to ride.

singlespeedstu

Mainly rode Athol Hill today with a few trails over by the hermitage just for a bit of a look round after finishing at Athol.
    Much better over there and also pretty close to where we’re staying.
    About 3 miles on a nice access path.

Loads of fun to be had on Yer Maws trails.
    Bit of an eye opener on a few chutes after last night’s rain.

Mrsstu entering Yer Maws Erse.🤣

Dropping into Yer Maws Erse
    Yer Maws Erse

mashr

First time I’ve ever heard of someone not enjoying Rake n Ruin and Pink Floyd, that’s really interesting

boriselbrus
    Free Member

You can see my house in the pic from the top (nearly) of Birnam Hill!

I only ride R&R once or twice a year, pink Floyd maybe every 2 years. I’m much more xc than enduro but some of the best decents aren’t on trail forks or any other map I’ve ever seen.

Glad your having fun though, you seem to have found good places to eat and drink 😁

paton
    Free Member

singlespeedstu

First time I’ve ever heard of someone not enjoying Rake n Ruin

As I said R&R was ok but a little overgrown in places.
    Pink Floyd was just a not worth the climb even on an eeber.
    Rode Pitlochry yesterday and really liked it.
    A good few days away with more choices than we had time for but wish we’d not bothered with Birnam on the first day. Would have been better spent on other stuff.
    Quite keen to get back there again.

mashr

Pink Floyd was just a not worth the climb even on an eeber.

Still surprised. OTOH I find Pink Floyd good fast, reasonably twisty, fun. Happy to do the climb for both on a normal bike. Happy to accept that it’s different strokes for different folks.

Pitlochry is great though. Somewhere I’m guilty of not visiting enough

singlespeedstu

Exactly and I’m grateful for the advice. 👍
    I think it’s the fact it just goes in a straight line for far to long at the beginning.
    Felt like a waste.

chickenman

The reason I go back to Dunkeld again and again is that it is such a beautiful place. I love the riding in the Tweed valley but the riding in dense plantations really doesn’t do much for my aesthetic drive. Birnham hill is stunning especially via the steep walkers ascent that goes clockwise to the summit. Take the time to check out the summit cairn. Atholl Hill is particularly pretty, go up the walkers path that goes clockwise from the carpark round to join the steep tracks going up to the rocking stone. Ride up to Loch Ordie then come back over Deuchary Hill (watch the descent as a couple of bits are unridable!). Lady Charlotte’s cave and Upper Cave Crag are worth deviating from the bike trails for a look too.
    *you won’t thank me for taking an ebike up Deuchary Hill mind!
    Craig Vinnein and the mast I’m less fussed about tbh.

singlespeedstu

Ride up to Loch Ordie

We actually took a walk up there as it was very close to where we were staying.
    It is a lovely place though that’s for sure.
    We even saw a beaver on a small island in the Tay after taking a stroll to have a beer by the water.

Fat-boy-fat

Was up today. Bit of Loch Ordie, secret beaver, twa dugs, Yer Maw’s erse and the Cave pass. Knackered. I did wish I had an ebike at some of the ups.

rob13
    Free Member

I’m staying up there for a week from next weekend. Will be taking the Eeb so looking forward to getting a few of these in between family stuff! Need to find some tame stuff for the little ones too.

singlespeedstu

@rob13

Need to find some tame stuff for the little ones too.

The Electric Beaver and surrounding trails on Birnam Hill should be good for the kids.

mashr

Or if if needs to be really tame then there are nice trails along the river

didnthurt

Great thread and perfect timing as I’ve got a weekend pass from family duties this weekend.

So, I’m thinking of heading up tomorrow after work, checking out some of the Athol Hill trails. A few pints and a bite to eat in Dunkeld and then pedal up to the Mill Dam for a wild camp (looks like there’s a decent spot on the east shore area). Unless it’s getting too dark and I can’t be arsed pedaling up the hill then maybe find a cheeky spot down near the Tay.

Full days riding on Saturday. Maybe hit Athol again then head over to the trails at the Hermitage in the afternoon.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.