• This topic has 65 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Dune Trailer….
  • Daffy

The books up to GEoD were okay, but the other are hard going, if necessary for the story – a bit like the Star Wars prequels.

The prequel novels with KJA and BH are actually okay if you want to immerse yourself in the Dune universe and understand how things like Mentats, navigators and the spice came to be. Individually, they’re no standout like Dune, but together, they’re greater than the sum of their parts. A bit like the Foundation series.

The Sci-fi Mini series was much better than the 1984 film and I’m hoping this will be better than the Mini Series. The Sci-Fi mini series is available on Prime right now

finbar
    Free Member

Didn’t you read my post? FFS, I don’t know why I bother sometimes.

I genuinely did, but that song was so awful I thought you must have meant some other bit of music in the trailer…

(you can tell I’m not familiar with Pink Floyd’s back catalogue 😀 )

arrpee
    Free Member

Sadly Villanueve has got form for this as the snoozefests of Arrival and Bladerunner 2049 will testify.

Go and shit in your hat.

baboonz
    Free Member

**** no. Dune is just about readable, by God Emperor, it’s shockingly bad, the least said about Chapterhouse* the better.

That’s interesting. I think the biggest downside of the dune books is the very awkward pacing.

CountZero

Oops – didn’t know it was Pink Floyd! I always think movie scores should be orchestral though.

It’s not, it’s by Hans Zimmer, who does lots of big orchestral movie scores, this is a version of Floyd’s ‘Eclipse’, which is appropriate, considering the subject of the film.

you can tell I’m not familiar with Pink Floyd’s back catalogue

Not even Dark Side Of The Moon, one of the biggest selling albums of all time, obviously.

IdleJon

Not even Dark Side Of The Moon, one of the biggest selling albums of all time, obviously.

I doubt that my wife (aged 39) or any of my kids would recognise that as Pink Floyd. The only PF song she can name is Another Brick – I’ve just asked. Not everyone is into a band who last made a decent album over thirty years ago. I’m just off to familiarise myself with Whitney’s Bodyguard album, the next best selling album of all time. Presumably you’ve got some Shania or Garth Brooks on the turntable? 😁

andyr
    Free Member

A bit like the Foundation series

I watched the Dune trailer (needs more Sting) then one of the suggested trailers was for Foundation on Apple TV next year. I didn’t know that was happening. Looks spectacular too.

https://youtu.be/xgbPSA94Rqg actual trailer starts at 45 seconds after Apples obligatory ‘aren’t we great’ montage.

Haven’t read either series in a few years, think I’ll dig then out this weekend and let my eldest read them afterwards.

sirromj

Here it is for you:

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Sadly Villanueve has got form for this as the snoozefests of Arrival and Bladerunner 2049 will testify.

Go and shit in your hat.

Thanks for your cogent reply arrpee

– – ! – –

IHN

Dark Side Of The Moon, one of the biggest selling albums of all time

Speaking of snoozefests…

Cougar

Never read the book, seen the film several times but decades ago and can’t remember a single thing about it beyond lots of sand so it must have made an impression. Did one of the factions have glowing eyes?

But this does look very good. It’s always hard to really tell, it wouldn’t be the first time we’ve been lied to by trailers, but it looks like it’ll be a spectacle even if turns out to be a hot mess of an actual film.

honeybadgerx

I’m really excited about this but also trying not to get my hopes up too much… Casting seems great too, apart from maybe Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho – I always thought of that character as being more Bourne-like than (and I may be surprised here) the wilder roles Momoa tends to portray.

hugo
    Free Member

Theres talk of a series based around the machinations of the Bene Gesserit.

That sounds like an awful lot of worthy talking in whispered tones until everyone passes out through boredom.

I loved Dune, but it’s all in the execution with these things.

Daffy

honeybadgerx
    I’m really excited about this but also trying not to get my hopes up too much… Casting seems great too, apart from maybe Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho – I always thought of that character as being more Bourne-like than (and I may be surprised here) the wilder roles Momoa tends to portray.

Idaho was a Swordsmaster, born and later hunted by the Harkonens on Giedi Prime, he escaped to Caladan. He’s a tough, brutal commoner who later trains to become proficient in weapons, combat and tactics, but is at heart a brawler with significant skills. Jason Momoa seemz ideal for this role, like he’s been building up to it (Ronan>Conan>Aquaman) his entire life.

Cougar

Does he only play characters named -an?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

More about the Floyd song in the trailer – did you know that Pink Floyd was set to provide music for Alejandro Jodorowsky’s Dune back in the ’70s before the project fell through. I didn’t.

https://nerdist.com/article/hans-zimmer-pink-floyd-eclipse-cover-dune/

kelvin

Arrival and Bladerunner 2049

My two favourite SciFi films of recent years… so I’m in!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My two favourite SciFi films of recent years… so I’m in!

Me too,. Do t forget Moon too.

So much more to them than the usual Hollywood tripe of despotic aliens, laser guns and explosions. (Yawn).

But I like Silent Running, so what do I know?

tjagain

Lynch’s work had some terrible problems with plot

Thats because its only parts of the book. Misses out big chunks of story.

kelvin

Yes, and Moon!

ChrisL

I tried reading Dune 22 years ago. I lost interest shortly after the Atreides arrived on Dune, the pace was slow and the fact that as much time was spent on what each character was thinking as what was happening grated.

I have finally read it all, finishing this week. I probably wouldn’t have stuck with it if it wasn’t an officially recognised Classic Sci-Fi Novel. The ideas and probably the story were fine, but the writing, particularly the aforementioned long periods of internal monologue, were off-putting. Some of the impact of the book’s ideas is also lessened because I’ve been aware of them via what they have inspired for so long before seeing them in their original form.

For me I’ll give the movie a shot if it gets good reviews, but Dune is not such an important thing for me that the success of failure of the movie is anything I’m particularly invested in.

I haven’t seen the David Lynch movie, either.

baboonz
    Free Member

@Cougar

Dune is set in Arrakis, a giant and unforgiving desert planet with massive sandworms, at the same time its also where the most precious resource in the Galaxy is collected, Melange, or “the Spice”. Melange effectively gives the user massive cheats, also a substance essential for intergalaxy travelling. The novel starts with Duke Leto Atreides, of the House Atreides and father to the protagonist, being given the Governorship(of some sorts) of this planet. The blue eyes are one of the physiological changes associated with Melange and its routine consumption. Hence the Fremen, the inhabitants of Arrakis, all have these blue on blue eyes. As expected, much of Fremen culture is shaped by the fact that there is little water available.

I will stop here since any more will reveal parts of the plot, that you may or may not remember.

Cougar

Yeah, most of that rings vague bells. Thank you.

Earl
    Free Member

‘<insert name here> no longer needs the Weirding Module’
    Still a regular ribbing in my little part of the world.

Although ‘Fear is the mind-killer’ seams to apply more and more now-days.

Beagleboy

I’m a huge fan of Dune, currently re-reading the series for the umpteenth time. I also love Lynch’s version of the story. In fairness to it and him, my understanding of the problems with the movie arose from it being around 4-5hrs long when it was completed. The cinemas threw their hands up in horror at something they could only show once a day, and the editors went in with the scissors and cut the original story to ribbons.

I also have an Alan Smithee version of Lynch’s Dune Movie, which attempts to plug the story line holes with voiced over animations and movie storyboards. It’s a bit weird! All in though, I’m looking forward to this new movie and will probably love it, even if it’s poo, simply because it’s a movie of my favourite Sci-Fi novel.

Speaking of which, I know it’s very obvious, but if you remove Spice and replace it with Oil, and transport the Freman to another sandy, desert wasteland to the east of here, (no, not Fife, much further east than that), written at a time when the Suez canal crisis was still fresh in people’s memories, it makes it a much more interesting read….or at least, that’s my take on it.

C.

Earl
    Free Member

When I read it the second time as a adult, the spice=oil thing was obvious. ‘Travel without moving’

Butlerian Jihad – the outlawing of thinking machines. Is that I our future?

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Dune Trailer….’ is closed to new replies.