Home Forums Bike Forum Dt swiss 350 retaining ring

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dt swiss 350 retaining ring
  • baileyswalk
    Free Member

Swapping out the front end caps of dt swiss 350 hubs, thought it would be a simple “pull off, push on” job but not so… seen some videos of a special hammer tool being used to get the retaining ring back on. Anyway to do it without the special tool or will I have to take this to the shop?

fibre
    Free Member

Appropriately sized socket over the face of the retaining ring, carefully tap back on (smear of grease might help).

baileyswalk
    Free Member

Socket isn’t a bad shout.

Northwind

The retaining ring- like, teh annoying clippy thing? I just chase it on with a pick. Small screwdriver ought to do it too

nixie

Socket for me. Be very careful using a screwdriver. I did that the first time and hit the thinner part and the screwdriver punched through!

bigyan
    Free Member

You just need a tube the right size, socket would be my first port of call at home.

baileyswalk
    Free Member

I got the wrong end caps (240s) so have the new ones on order and it looks like I might not even have to do this…

I’m replacing these:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/dt-swiss-front-wheel-kit-for-100mm-15mm-or-boost-adaptors-for-350370-hubs/

for these:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/dt-swiss-front-wheel-kit-for-100mm-12mm-adaptors-for-350-hubs/

Looks like the smaller caps sit into the axle and the o-ring keeps them in place. Hopefully it becomes obvious when I have the parts.

bigyan
    Free Member

The ones pictured in the second link just push in/pull out, o ring holds them in.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I just used my fingers to press it back on, it’s not super tight to get on.

To get it out, use your fork axle (15mm) and insert it into the end cap only, now lever it down until the ring moves a little, now push the axle in the other direction and wiggle the ring out.

genubah
    Free Member

use your fork axle (15mm) and insert it into the end cap only…

This or even better, a 15mm to QR adapter. I did this on two occasions, seemed quite straightforward.

baileyswalk
    Free Member

I got them off easy enough, rubber coated handle of a big pair of pliers was perfect. I then tried to put them back on and that’s when I realised these were not what I expected. At least I won’t have this trouble with the 12mm end caps – should have them by Monday.

TBH this is my first set of DT’s and so far they have been nothing but trouble – hopefully once everything is fitted it’ll be OK. Kinda missing my hopes but christ do they make a racket, thought I’d go for something a bit more silent running…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dt swiss 350 retaining ring’ is closed to new replies.