Home Forums Bike Forum DT Swiss 240s Bearing sizes? and what sort?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • DT Swiss 240s Bearing sizes? and what sort?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

can anyone confirm what size 240s mtb boost wheelset bearings will be required for a change? just the wheel bearings (Freehub new)

and recommend where to get some from online at all?

cheers

hatter

Which exact hub spec? Straight pull? Centre lock?

Are they after market hubs or the ones you get on Spline 1’s?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hatter – they were/are brand new 2018 dt swiss 240s 6 bolt (non straight pull) boost rear and front

they were custom built by german site last year

hatter

That’s a weirdly short bearing life for a 240, if they’re less than a year old I’d get them back for warranty.

Assuming they are genuine 240’s (there have been some fakes coming out of Germany recently which could explain the bearing life) then the replacement bearings will be:

2 of these: Link

and 2 of these:Link

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

also this pesky ratchet removal thing

read some info just stating :

‘some hubs from model year 2015 on, are using smaller diameter outer bearing on the drive side. the bearing on the drive side can be changed without dismounting the ring nut’

which if true means its way way way easier to do a bearing swap, as I know this is going to be a pain to remove the ratchet if not

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

also hatter – they are just a little rough out back tbh, not major really, but getting some hamster wheel type noises, so assuming the grease is dry as can be in the bearings…

cheers for the info, so they are not all the same bearing size then all round

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmm hatter one german site suggests all 240s fw and rw are 6902 bearings?

toofarwest

My non-boost ones were 6902 (good luck with the ratchet ring)
    Ordered online from Wych Bearings and arrived next day.

scruff
    Free Member

Are they really different sizes for boost / none boost / SP / J bend?

hatter

O.K. I’d pop the end caps off, give both them and inside the hub where they sit a good clean and pop them back on with some grease, sometimes a bit of grittinesss is just stuff getting in behind the end cap and the bearings are fine.

As for bearing spec, it depends on the model, there is a huge variety of 240 hubs out there, they’ve been in production for well over a decade so…

The bearings I listed are a standard 240 grade 1803 front and 6902 rear, they’re what the current aftermarket BOOST 6-bolt classic flange hubs use.

If in doubt, pop the end caps off and have a look at the code on the bearing seal.

Using Non-DT bearings will void your warranty so as your hub is still pretty new I’d try and use official ones if possible.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hatter – thanks for the info bud, I will give everything a good clean and see how the noise fairs after, as I said they aren’t to bad at all, the rears worse but gets washed harder I guess cleaning cassette so the hub takes more abuse from cleaning

the bike co I got it from has finally come back and like you said its too hard to say exactly do to various version/model year etc so they’ve said the best way to check is by looking at the bearing seal so that’s good enough for me

I will try and source the genuine ones though, don’t mind paying a bit more for them if need be keep the warranty

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss 240s Bearing sizes? and what sort?’ is closed to new replies.