Home Forums Bike Forum DT Swiss 240 or Chris King hubs that is the question

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • DT Swiss 240 or Chris King hubs that is the question
  • xanboy
    Free Member

Simple as the post says really, any opinions on them, has anyone used both?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

DT

qwerty
    Free Member

DT

njee20
    Free Member

DT

Had both. Kings were among the most disappointing parts I’ve tried, needed a fair amount of fettling to keep them perfect, heavy, lots of drag, and expensive.

Had about 6 sets of 240s, and they’re fantastic.

bobalong
    Free Member

DT here too, total fit and forget component.

mboy
    Free Member

DT

Kings are heavy(er) and require a surprising amount of maintenance by comparison. They also make a really annoying noise, and the 72 point engagement never makes itself seem like a bonus.

I’ve had a few sets of DT too, never a single problem. Best hubs out there by a mile, just don’t use DT rims as they’re made of Swiss cheese and are a nightmare to fit tyres on!

Konastoner
    Free Member

I’m going against the grain here from personal experience. My 3 year old £300 DT440 hub split last year after my trip to Morzine, despite sending the hub back for inspection of the failure and copies of the receipt for the wheel build to Germany I was told that “The life expectancy of the hub has been passed” and basically F*** Off go and buy another. So I did, a Hope Pro 2 Evo.

I WAS a DT supporter but not now.

P.S. anyone want a home build DT Swiss bearing tool? Send me a PM, postage paid and it’s yours.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got Kings and can’t fault them, headsets too.
    BBs do seem a bit draggy though.
    My next hubs will be Kings too.

ash.addy
    Free Member

Six sets of Dt 240’s, says it all – CK every time (and the maintenance is easy.

njee20
    Free Member

Six sets of Dt 240’s, says it all – CK every time (and the maintenance is easy.

Huh? The maintenance is easy, never said owt to the contrary, but why should I have to do it?

I’ve had 6 sets because they’re good, not replaced through necessity, just when I’ve changed parts! 2 sets of Race X Lite road wheels (one set now 6 years old on original bearings), a set of Race XXX Lites, a set of Aeolus 5.0s, some Roval Controle SLs and a pair of 240s on Olympics as my current spare wheels. I don’t replace them because they break! One set I had to do the bearing behind the star ratchet, I’ve got the tool, but can see that being a pain if you don’t, only downside IMO.

nikk
    Free Member

Konastoner – anyone want a home build DT Swiss bearing tool? Send me a PM, postage paid and it’s yours.

I’ll have that, many thanks! email sent.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I have DT240; wife as CK. I think a CK front and DT back is perhaps ideal 😀 …. The front CK just spins so nicely; almost like magic but the back. njee + 1 – Always seems to need a bit of tweaking and I’m never convinced the freewheel isn’t slightly dragging. My DT is noisier though.

I think I would go DT given the choice.

boxfish
    Free Member

CK. Mmmm, shiny.

njee20
    Free Member

The colours of DT is a big plus, my navy ones did look really nice!

My DT is noisier though.

Bit of grease on the star ratchets – the one on my MTB is virtually silent, on my road bike it makes a proper racket!

Hadge
    Free Member

I’ve owned both sets and I’m currently running CK hubs. No problems with the CK’s so far and still running nice and sweet as did the DT 240’s when I sold them. Finish wise I do believe that CK are the best out there and that’s why I chose them this time. You won’t go wrong with either so it’s your choice really.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I meant the colour of King hubs is excellent, not DTs.

swisstonyswiss
    Free Member

DT Swiss 240 hubs on my XR1450 wheels. Have given them some stick over the last few years and no issues whatsoever.

Can’t comment on CK unfortunately other than they seem blisteringly expensive!

rc200f8
    Free Member

got two sets of kings, a pair of isos (9years old) & a pair of discotecs(14 years old) – have had to replace the freehub bodies on both rears as the ring drive splines wore out. Other than that only a strip, clean and lube a couple of times a year. Don’t think thats too bad really.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cheers guys, turns out I have more fans on here than I thought!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss 240 or Chris King hubs that is the question’ is closed to new replies.