Home Forums Chat Forum Dry Robes – Do I want one?

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Dry Robes – Do I want one?
    geomickb

Surely the answer is to get the Nukeproof one with 50% off?: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/nukeproof-blackline-robe

IdleJon
    Free Member

I asked if they’d been for a dip and they seemed a bit sheepish and said no.

Do you also ask people wearing football shirts how their last game went? 

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’ve one – it’s brilliant. Lives in the back of the car. Use it for everything. Easy bumble round the woods with the missus if it’s honking. Getting changed in a car park. Couldn’t care less what people think & I suggest you do the same. Get whichever brand you like & stop worrying about what some total stranger thinks of you.

matt_outandabout

Why would I hang out with anyone who wears a football shirt anywhere other than watching or participating in a game? 😉

IdleJon
    Free Member

Do you also ask people wearing football shirts how their last game went?Why would I hang out with anyone who wears a football shirt anywhere other than watching or participating in a game? 😉

I absolutely agree, but there are plenty of them wandering about, just like Dryrobe wearers around here. Or, for that matter, people wearing denim away from it’s original use, running shoes, beanies indoors…. 

As much as I dislike Dryrobes, asking a wearer why they aren’t using them correctly is a bit of a dickish thing to do. Although it probably didn’t actually happen away from a keyboard. 

chakaping

I do tend to make chit-chat with people I meet while I’m out riding, asking where they’re walking/riding/swimming and generally being pleasant.

You should give it a try, it’s nice.

BillOddie

Very popular with (female mainly) dog walkers round my way.

We have changing towels for changing/drying post ride or when camping and what not.

I picked up a lifeventure changing poncho in a sale a while ago, it has served me very well, if it’s just post ride duties you need it for then that style is where i’d be looking.

If you want one with a few more uses then get an OG DryRobe, or like. There’s plenty of bellends on this forum who wear normal clothes, so they’re not in any position to judge a non-surfing DryRobe wearer.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I love my DryRobes.  I bought my original one way back when they were a new thing and there weren’t other brands available, it has the original logo on it.  The new long sleeve camo one was a gift and it came in very handy yesterday at Saunton car park while I sorted out my stove and made a cuppa before getting changed out of my wetsuit.  I’d say yes, get one and use it wherever it will serve a purpose.  Sod what anyone else thinks.

IdleJon
    Free Member

I do tend to make chit-chat with people I meet while I’m out riding, asking where they’re walking/riding/swimming and generally being pleasant.

You should give it a try, it’s nice.

Nice attempt. That’s not what you originally meant. You were being all judgey.  😀

chakaping

Nice attempt. That’s not what you originally meant. You were being all judgey. 😀

No, that was literally the context of the encounter.

A nice, friendly chat and I asked “so have you been for a dip somewhere round here then?”.

Me and my pal did laugh after, but more at them seeming embarrassed than judging them. It’s no skin off my nose.

jameso

I see a lot of Dry Robes out and about here these days, nowhere near any beach culture. I’d assumed it was a way that many folk had discovered the wonders of pertex+pile without being army surplus or Buffalo outdoor gear types. I loved my old Buffalo belay jacket, used to live in it almost. It’s basically a synthetic animal hide like reindeer herders would use so no wonder it’s popular. But let’s face it Buffalos were never going to get fashionable.

Out of curiosity I just found out the company is ~13 years old and worth £11 million… fair dues, the guy who created it has done way better in that time than I have, damnit 🙂

TiRed

“That looks warm, what did it cost?”…

“My dignity”

You don’t want one. Unless you’re in the car park packing away your watersports kit.

chowsh
    Free Member

We have a mix of Dryrobe that I’ve had for a while and before there were loads of options, Red Paddle, and just got the 15yr old one of these Lifeventure ones https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B7XSYZM6/ref=twister_B0BMY69KFW?_encoding=UTF8&th=1&psc=1 as he grew out of his Dryrobe. The Red ones are softer and lighter but expensive unless you can find them in a sale. The Lifeventure is very similar to my genuine one and I’d struggle to justify the difference in cost

ceepers

“Out of curiosity I just found out the company is ~13 years old and worth £11 million… fair dues, the guy who created it has done way better in that time than I have, damnit 🙂”

@jameso
    I actually know him a little bit. Really a nice guy and always seems slightly bewildered by how successful he’s been.

CountZero

What the actual f***?If anyone wants a cheaper version I can do one for £100 posted

Is the extortionate price for all the clobber, or just the towel? ‘Cos I’ve got a few towels kicking around that I could make quite a profit on!
    Sweet baby Jesus, but some people are easily manipulated and conned, aren’t they. 🙄

Just had a look at the Nukeproof one, because I wasn’t sure what people were talking about, and they’re virtually the same as what NFL players wear on the sidelines during really cold, wet games, as far as I can tell.

I can see something like that being handy over ordinary clothes if having to stand around in really shitty, cold and wet weather, where it can be just chucked in the boot of the car, although I’ve used a big military-type poncho, keeps everything dry, and it can be used as a ground-sheet as well.

stumpy01

Never ceases to amaze me on here, how people can be so bothered by other people’s clothing choices/habits.

Who cares if someone decides to walk the dog in a dryrobe, rather than a barbour jacket & wellies?

I’ve got one of the Decathlon changing towel things. It’s brilliant & means I don’t have to expose my hairy arse to the other inhabitants of the car park I’m getting changed in, after a ride. It’s up there with the Dirtworker i bought about 15 years ago for the most useful bike-related purchases.

I’m actually quite tempted to get that Nukeproof dry robe for £50 to wear while watching my daughter at footie training. Sling it in the boot & stick it on if it’s raining or just a bit colder than expected. Even better if it makes people all frothy about my clothing choices.

DT78
    Free Member

The snobbery around dry robes is really weird

I have one of the originals, bought when wiggle first started doing them – before changimg robes were a thing.  I was doing the gorrick enduros and was basically frozen at the end of them, so it was perfect to chuck on, ditch the cold wet lycra and just drive home.  no pants needed….. thats got to be at least 10 years ago, as it was pre kids

Its also great for camping, in the evenings when its cold, they are big enough you can have your young kids sat on your lap and zipped up.  Then when you go to bed, unzip it and use it as a blanket to sleep under.

I actually don’t take it paddling, but thats because I don’t paddle when its cold, so a towel is fine.

I wouldn’t wear it taking the kids to school, but thats because of the sneering nastiness of some, rather than it wouldnt be lovely and toasty amd dry

bruk

For the use the OP describes I would suggest the answer is yes, get one. Sounds like lots of choice

I seriously considered one last year after freezing my backside of watching eldest play football. Ended up with a full length puffer jacker cheap from Cheshire Oaks instead. Too warm to actually walk the dog in but ideal for standing around in. On really wet days I do think a dry robe might have been a better choice though

muckytee
    Free Member

Dry robe, I have one, I got it for open water swimming, I have since replaced it with a Robie robe (branded towel robe)

Advantages: Dry robes are warm and because of the length keep you legs warm too, easy to throw on, this being a big advantage over a coat in that you don’t have to wrestle your wet arms up clammy sleeves, one big chunky zip or just cover over like a dressing gown, useful when fingers are too numb to mess about with buttons/small zips, easy to get changed in and also because of that easy to move about in when packing gear away.

disadvantages: not great at actually drying you, the fleece lining isn’t that absorbent, a normal towel is usually still required to dry yourself especially hair. If a dry robe gets dirty or just needs a wash it’s a pain, I washed mine and it took three days to dry out, also they are quite bulky, the last two reasons being why I replaced it with a simple towel robe, it doesn’t warm me, but a towel robe will dry you faster and when it gets dirty, throw it into the washing machine and dry it like a towel, easy and takes up a lot less space (basically a normal towel with a hood and sleeves).

as for the brand, people always get snobby about especially expensive brands, see also Orange bikes, Waitrose, VW campers.. to name a few, choose a product that does what you need it to do well, sometimes brands get big because they make a good product…

didnthurt

Must be matched with a pair of Crocs.

kitchener
    Free Member

Saltrock changing robes are 20-50 quid and useful as a lazy dressing gown on hangover days. Xmas coming, folks.

didnthurt

We bought a Trespass one for my son who races cx, he likes it. Wasn’t crazy expensive and seems to do the trick so far.

jedi

I got one last month. Its OK but is now in the garage. Feels like I’m in danger of joining the v dub go outdoors look at me group 😆

PrinceJohn

Love my Dryrobe for post bike warmth when not riding from home – just chuck my dirty outer layer off – chuck it on & drive home. Even the dog now has one…https://dryrobe.com/collections/dryrobe-dog-robe

lamp
    Free Member

I have a cheap alternative by a company called Moonwrap. To be fair it’s quite handy and warm. I use it after open water swimming to get changed beneath, It’s fine. The whole DryRobe brand has been completely hijacked by the ‘active’ mum. 

winston
    Free Member

Just been to the opera at Glyndebourne. Girl in front of me queuing at the bar before the performance was wearing a cammo dry-robe. Admittedly the bar is outside and it was -2

bigdaddy

I love mine, don’t get the snobbery either. Use it a lot for post race or ride changing, lovely warm easy way to get changed in a car park or (like tomorrow) at a freezing cold Gorrick race!

dissonance

I have one of the osprey knockoffs plus a even cheaper changing towel. The latter sees most use in combination with a proper towel.
    Dryrobes dont seem great at the theoretical use of a drying robe but I can see why people use them as a general warm long coat. I know a few people who use them doing bank safety during the winter. Easy to throw off it something goes really badly wrong and they need to take a swim.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Been wearing one around the house the last few days to stay warm. Been a godsend!

Normally essential post-surf winter kit. That said, I have a microfibre Dock & Bay version which is better at actually drying you….best results when I put my dry robe on top of it for warmth when outside.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.