Home Forums Chat Forum drummers electronic for beginner?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • drummers electronic for beginner?
  • antigee
    Free Member

think quite a few STW drummerists
    my teen daughter has been doing drums at school and wants a kit at home – mrs antigee hates noise and though we are detached other houses are too close by for my liking

in a recent post (can’t find) someone said something about the different feel of the pads on some electronic kits?

thinking of getting a Yamaha DTX450 as is in budget price at a local store and one article i read suggested Yamaha as good for beginners as can be easily sold on and suggested this model – what do you think?

also other than a stool (and sticks) anything else needed?

lodious
    Free Member

It has rubber pads, which are less desirable than mesh, but as long as the price is OK, I think it would be a good buy.Is it second hand in the store? With anything like this, I’d always buy s/h so if you don’t get on with it you can move it on without loosing much money.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Headphones or a practice amp would be useful.
    The electronic kit that I had (Alesis DM6) had a pad for the bass drum to which you attached the bass drum pedal as you would to an acoustic bass drum. Downside was the loud thud through the floor every time you played it. I’ve seen some electronic kits where the bass pedal is ‘virtual’ ie doesn’t do the above – might be worth considering. If you do go for one that needs a bass drum (kick) pedal, you’ll need one of those too. They start at about £30 and can go up to a couple of hundred; even more for a double pedal

Alesis DM Lite Electronic Drum kit with Portable Folding Rack

john_drummer
    Free Member

As an alternative, a second hand acoustic kit, swap the batter (upper) heads for mesh ones, and a set of cymbal mutes for the cymbals (which cost extra).
    https://www.drumwright.co.uk/shop/catalogue/category/browse/heads/mesh-drum-heads_30/

https://www.drumwright.co.uk/shop/catalogue/mapex-super-tornado-drumwright_15218/

antigee
    Free Member

lodious – Member
    It has rubber pads, which are less desirable than mesh, but as long as the price is OK, I think it would be a good buy.Is it second hand in the store?

cheers that was thing mesh pads – can get new locally with a pretty decent discount off list (which I guess is normal)- not looked 2nd hand yet as looked around for acoustic sets and most stuff was either real low end abused or needed some repairs or was too high end at near new prices – electronic might be easier either it works or it doesn’t?

johndrummer thanks for comments on bass pedal – that’s tricky as a real bass pedal would be more like an acoustic drum kit – I’ll knock that off the must have list

thanks for ideas on muting acoustic sets – will relook at that as thought it was rubber pads and that is it – though I’m pretty sure if go acoustic any downrating of the noise will be a fight

thanks

john_drummer
    Free Member

The Z-ED mesh heads for acoustic kits should be near silent and yet still feel ‘real’ – the advantage there would be, if it ever comes to practicing / gigging with a band, just put the true heads back on and you’re away

My drums live in a dedicated rehearsal room – so noise isn’t an issue. Other than for my ears 😉

earplugs are a must too

goldfish24

Electronic for beginner? Definitely

She can practice to her hearts content (with the good advice on bass pedal noise taken into account)
    The great thing about an e-kit over a muted acoustic is that you get great drum sounds through your headphones and can plug in an iPod and play along. For me the pleasure of that ensures I keep up the practice because it’s actually fun rather than a rehearsal chore.

elma
    Free Member

I asked a similar question about two weeks ago, ended up getting a second hand Roland kit for £200 and its great integrated high hat and kick pedals so barely any noise.

There are loads of good deals on Gumtree a lot of the kits are bought as present and hardly used,

I find the pads are fine as I’m just coming back to drumming and can’t really remember the feeling of an acoustic.

If your short on space the Roland kits are great because all the pads fit on a very compact rack.

antigee
    Free Member

cheers all v. helpful my feelings are that an electronic kit with headphones and play along stuff will get a lot more use and got some ideas what to look for

slimjim78
    Free Member

Can I learn to drum, well, at 37?

Always wanted a practice kit. Dabbled with a kit as a teenager but never had lessons. Seem to be able to grasp a rythym though.

I have a bucket list wish to drum in a band to a crowd that actually enjoy the experience.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Nearly forgot. A metronome. Crucial to get the drummer used to playing with a click track if they’re ever going to do any studio work; the earlier you start using a metronome, the easier it will be. There are a few electronic ones out there for £30 or under. A decent electronic kit might have one built in to its control unit

And some books. I started with The Art Of The Drummer and Soul On Bass (can’t remember the authors).

Jared Falk does some pretty good YouTube tutorials, while Jack Bennett does some good tutorial videos too

Sure you can. I’m 50 and still learning. It all depends how much practice you can put in, as with any other musical instrument. Just with this instrument, you have four limbs to learn to coordinate…

Sonor
    Free Member

Why not?

john_drummer
    Free Member

goldfish24

I started after 30 years of tapping my feet, convinced I’d be a great drummer. Two years later and I still think that when im behind the kit, dunno about the ones listening 🙂
    Played two gigs with my buddies, we rehearse every Monday (makes the Monday blues go away) gig next week and the crowds are always polite enough to look like they enjoy it. All I do now is talk drums, play drums, post about drums on cycling forums…
    Best thing I ever did was crack on and take it up!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘drummers electronic for beginner?’ is closed to new replies.