Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Draper power tools. Are they any good ?
  • I’m after a circular saw.

This one from Draper is under £70.
    Similar saws at Screwfix are £90+

I’ve got plenty of Draper spanners, sockets and screwdrivers which I use every day and they’re as good as any other.
    What are the power tools like ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What Stoner said.

EDIT : No, not what Stoner said……… what do you mean “You wont live to buy another one” ? 😕

Stoner
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    What Stoner said.

*goes in scrapbook*

maccruiskeen

Sounds deadly

Stoner
    Free Member

maccruiskeen

Well…….. I wasn’t expecting that.

mrmo
    Free Member

house my sister looked at, vacant possession. The previous owner was blind and took to doing some diy with a circular saw. He was found on the kitchen floor having bleed out through a severed leg artery.

maybe that is what stoner means?

Is there anything wrong with the Draper one though ?
    It’s just that I’ve left everything til the last minute again and I could probably get the Draper one locally tomorrow morning and start cutting tomorrow afternoon.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What sounds deadly? 🙂 😕

Northwind

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member

It seems to be a bit less deadly, if that’s a concern.

How much are you going to use it? If it’s for general DIY then buying a cheap one makes a lot of sense. I have a cheapo Draper hammer drill which cost me £10 from Sainsburys- it’s not as nice as my Makita but then it’s been used about 5 times in 10 years. Even if I have to replace it tomorrow it still works out a superb financial proposition (both on vfm, and on the fact that I didn’t have to invest up front)

So personally, I’d go bangernomics and buy the £27 one from B&Q. Well no actually i’d borrow my brother’s Ryobi.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well Draper don’t make professional power tools, and since the Hitachi that Stoner posted is a blinding tool and only 30 quid more, I would recommend that. If you don’t mind a short life 😕

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a couple of el cheapo tools (jigsaw and router) because I use them so little I dont really care.

But a circular saw is up there with a decent drill/driver as something you will use and abuse for years.

I only wish I had a posh chopsaw. My cheap one works fine. But Id love one that cut 90/45/30/60 without having to be double checked every cut 🙂

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

You wont live to buy another one.

That genuinely made me chuckle!

I dont have a Draper saw but their stuff I do have is on the cheap side and died after little use – a few hours over say 5 years(an angle grinder and a dirty water pump). I’m sure they sell the same stuff as ‘homebrand’ kit from the big chains.

As others have said – for occasional use it’ll be fine. For a little more money you will get one that will last well past your retirement. Is that a better way of putting it?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have that very Hitachi (or at least something very similar) and it’s a great piece of kit.

Spent a couple of days helping out an “all the gear, plenty of ideas” guy the other day and after suffering chooses envy from using his Makita sliding saw (smooth as anything, cuts as clean as you like), he then whipped out his Festool chop saw with those brilliant little rails that hook together to run the saw in a straight line. Jesus, I was a broken man by the end of the day. 🙁

grantway
    Free Member

Best to buy something descent But depending on what your using it for.
    Just known in the past these cheap tools in some cases falling apart
    during usage.
    I personally wouldn’t buy but i need professional quality of tooling.

This is what I use on site. Festool

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think recommending a £400+ circular saw isn’t quite what the OP wants.

grantway
    Free Member

oh well, but you can’t beat it when using the rail system.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Draper power tools. Are they any good ?’ is closed to new replies.