Home Forums Chat Forum Down/synthetic jacket recommendations?

• This topic has 78 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Down/synthetic jacket recommendations?
  • chakaping

I use a down jacket or gilet for post ride warmth, great for when I get back to the van and it’s freezing.

And I have a synthetic gilet to stuff in my backpack for epic rides.

jam-bo

and significantly cheaper than an Arc’teryx equivalent.

Got a real chip on about arcteryx haven’t you.

Atom lt hoody is one of my most worn bit of kit. I paid a lot less than that jottnar 😉

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got a montane prism and although it’s lovely and well made and very useful, I definitely wouldn’t talk about it in the same sentence as a down insulation jacket. It’s just nowhere near as warm when not active. Down jackets are lovely for that instant warmth and being able to sit around outside in the cold, the Prism is only useful when active for me. So different uses completely.

DrJ

Moncler

Assume that’s a tongue in cheek suggestion but it did made me wonder how they transformed themselves from a mundane brand to deluxe with fancy boutiques etc.

ElShalimo

The Moncler craze seemed to start about 10 years ago, every wanna be cool Dude in Paris was wearing the high gloss black down jackets. They just looked like black bin bag puffa jackets.
    If you want truly eye watering prices check out Bogner Fire & Ice. The preferred gaudy clothing of the Eastern European nouveau riche

dovebiker

Synthetics for ‘active’ wear and down for keeping warm – modern synthetics like Polartec Alpha are great, keeping you warm even when quite damp. Arctic winter racing lets you find out what works – I’ll be packing a couple of Alpha tops for ‘day’ wear, plus a down jacket and insulated pants for a 5-day race in February. Tried some ‘expedition’ grade down jackets too – bit too heavy and bulky when you have to carry them yourself.

BadlyWiredDog

Synthetics for ‘active’ wear and down for keeping warm – modern synthetics like Polartec Alpha are great, keeping you warm even when quite damp.

Alpha’s quite different from synthetics like Primaloft, which are basically artificial down and not great on the move, even the Primaloft Active stuff. Alpha, on the other hand, is pretty much a layer of light pile fleece sandwiched between two layers of wind resistant fabric. Or in the case of Alpha Direct, just one shell layer outer.

It’s like a sort of lightweight Buffalo, but because the outer fabric is more breathable, it’s better at letting heat escape.

Superficial
    Free Member

Arctic winter racing lets you find out what works

Hush now, we don’t want your experience of using clothing in circumstances it was actually designed for, making us feel like small men. What down jacket for Llangldegla car park?

paule
    Free Member

As others have said, massively depends what you’re using it for. My everyday warm top and also the one i put in my bag on a big day out is a Patagonia nano puff. Lovely jacket, but unlike down you don’t get that extra-warm feeling, more that you’re not cold. Seems to be the case at a wide range of temperature, down to a bit below freezing with a warm base layer.

For feeling warm and snug after riding or running, I’ve got a thick down gillet.

onandon
    Free Member

and significantly cheaper than an Arc’teryx equivalent.

Atom lt hoody is one of my most worn bit of kit. I paid a lot less than that jottnar

I agree. The atom SV is the most worn jacket I own. It’s kept me dry is some magnificent downpours and key me warm whenever it’s used.

footflaps

Alpha, on the other hand, is pretty much a layer of light pile fleece sandwiched between two layers of wind resistant fabric.

Does just seem to be this years version of fibre pile…

Same stuff has been used for years by Buffalo, Montane and Rab, although the last two have stopped using it.

Atom lt hoody is one of my most worn bit of kit.

I’ve got all three Atoms (SL, LT and AR), the AR is more like a down jacket in terms of warmth and doesn’t have those cold Power stretch panels down your sides. I wear the SL more than the other two, it’s my preferred top for cycling to work, although not when it’s sub zero.

DezB
    Free Member

Sport Pursuit buyer here too – the not so well known Scandinavian brands are great quality for the money. I’ve got a Kilpi one, which is really nice.
    Fave one is the Bailo (squirrel logo!), worn so much, folded into the little bag etc, its now started to leak feathers out of the arm from catching on a barbed wire fence.

benp1

Alpha is a lot more compressible than fibre pile, though the latter is much more robust

Rapha have an Alpha gilet, it’s obviously very current!

footflaps

Rapha have an Alpha gilet, it’s obviously very current!

Let me guess, £300?

dragon
    Free Member

Arctic winter racing lets you find out what works in the arctic

FIFY

Tells you sweet FA what may work in the Cairngorms, or Snowdonia

slowoldman

I have a variety of down duvets and vests from Mountain Equipment, North Face and RAB. Not much in it really but RAB’s slim fit suits me. Mind you that’s not really a big deal with down jackets as they generally go over other layers anyway.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I find it funny people come out with sweeping statements like, down for posers, usless in the UK etc etc….

Perhaps how you use a jacket.

For weight, packability, warmth and comfortable temp range, you cannot do better than down…
    A smattering of rain is no problem.

Down its too warm to do anything active in, so your only really wearing your down when static, and if your sitting around in the heaving rain with only your down coat, its your fault not the coat.

For any sport where you are carrying your stuff, and are going to be at the mercy of the elements, a good layering system is a must, including a hard shell waterproof..

when you stop, you pull the down from the bag, and put it under the waterproof…

If you want to go out, with poor layering choices, with only one coat, then look elsewhere

(all IMHO obviously!)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

dragon – Member
    Arctic winter racing lets you find out what works
    FIFY

Tells you sweet FA what may work in the Cairngorms, or Snowdonia

That’s what I thought, but was too polite to say anything.
    I’m not even sure Cairngorms or Snowdonia are that relevant for 70% of users or 70% of the time for the other 30%. More like shopping on the high st, walking the dog, walking the kids to school, going to the pub, going to work, going for a bimble with grandparents and kids.

dragon
    Free Member

The UK weather can actually quite a hard environment for a coat to work in, it isn’t impossible to have temps that initally are zub zero then as the day progresses things move up to the 0.5-3 degC range along with 40 mph winds and heavy rain. For me synthetics work the best in those highly variable conditions where rain is possible.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m guessing the OP is now so confused that he’s decided not to bother. I don’t really blame him either… this whole thread has no point of reference like what the jacket is going to be used for. It’s a bit like a thread asking ‘which dog to choose’ with no other qualification. Gotta love STW… 😕

I’d say, erm, sprollie… or maybe a nice chihuahua for packability and ease of stowage in small flats. Or a great dane. Though I hear that huskies work brilliantly in the arctic where men are men and dogs are dogs…

DezB
    Free Member

Going by BDW’s criteria, I’d say it depends how important the logo on the breast is to your purchase.

fifeandy
    Free Member

More like shopping on the high st, walking the dog, walking the kids to school, going to the pub, going to work, going for a bimble with grandparents and kids.

If those are the intended use then why bother with down/synthetic jacket at all? Softshell is surely a much more robust option that fits a wider range of conditions.
    Maybe my practical side is getting in the way of fashion.

davosaurusrex

@Alex – have you tried your Kilpi yet, how warm is it? Do like the look of them

chakaping

Just wore my down gilet to do the school run.

Should I feel like less of a man now?

jimjam
    Free Member

chakaping
    Just wore my down gilet to do the school run.

Should I feel like less of a man now?

Depends if the mums threw their knickers at you or not.

Spud

Bought a Black Diamond Primaloft filled jacket, Heat Treat Hoody it’s called, last winter sale and it’s brilliant, my go to jacket. Toasty, light and great when it’s chucking down stood at the side of the rugby pitch. Loads of pockets including internal ones. I dare say it’s better than down for this country. Don’t get me wrong I rate my down jackets, but for damp and wet, this tops them.

richmtb

Montane Prism is a nice jacket for a lot of UK conditions

I wouldn’t wear it on its own at the top of mountain but for an everyday outdoor jacket it does a good job. Showerproof on its own, pair with a waterproof shell for prolonged rain. Its also very light and packable

DezB
    Free Member

davosaurusrex –

@Alex
    – have you tried your Kilpi yet, how warm is it? Do like the look of them

I’ve got this Kilpi – http://www.kilpisports.com/products/men/p-nestore was about £40-50 SportPursuit. Can’t imagine needing anything warmer (for the school run). Superb quality too.

footflaps

Bought a Black Diamond Primaloft filled jacket, Heat Treat Hoody it’s called,

I bought one of those in March, couldn’t resist as it was half price in Ambleside. Still yet to wear it, have way too many jackets.

nedrapier

I find it funny people come out with sweeping statements like, down for posers, useless in the UK etc etc…

Down its too warm to do anything active in,

Depends how cold it is and how much down we’re talking about!

nedrapier

I’ve got a big ME Trango, too much most of the winter in the south of the UK unless it’s cold and I’m doing literally nothing, and too chunky to pack when I’m carrying everything.

I bought a ME Fitzroy for something more packable that I could use more of the time. I was after synthetic. Tried on a whole bunch of “belay jackets” some companies have changed their cut, Rab have got fatter and ME have got slimmer. Fiztroy fitted the best, and changed that year from Primaloft gold to hydrophobic down. Does the job I wanted it to. Warm, nice hood, Good for waling and leisurely biking in low single digits and colder.

Packs well, great to have on a ski tour of a cold ride for something to chcuk on when stopped. Needs some help if I’m sitting doing nothing for ages.

footflaps

Rab have got fatter and ME have got slimmer.

They’re both very slim IMO, although ME is slimmer.

Patagonia / Black Diamond have a more rounded fit (ie for anyone who has a chest size larger than their waist).

I once tried a Howies jacket, that was designed for people with a waist size much bigger than their chest!

mark90
    Free Member

Montane prism and a 15 year old TNF down jacket here. The Prism has probably had more wear than than down jacket, simply as it’s so versatile. Also have a Rab generator gilet that goes under/over the prism if I want a bit more warmth.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

this whole thread has no point of reference like what the jacket is going to be used for. It’s a bit like a thread asking ‘which dog to choose’ with no other qualification. Gotta love STW…

Come off it princess, we all know perfectly well what his wife will be using it for, and it’s not racing huskies across the poles or belaying in point 5 gully.

Alex

@Alex – have you tried your Kilpi yet, how warm is it? Do like the look of them

Not yet. Due in a week or so. I’m hoping it’s going to be nearly as warm as my Filo but about half the bulk. Will report back…

davosaurusrex

Ta. What’s the sizing like, true to size?

Alex

Kilpi just arrived. It’s exactly what I wanted. Less than half the bulk of the Filo and with a DWR coating. The Medium is an excellent fit for me (5ft11, pretty average build, not smuggling a badger 😉 ) and I’d get a base/mid layer under there if it was really cold.

Feels really nicely made. Pockets on the inside a bit pointless but everything else as it should be.

Too warm to wear right now but I’ll be testing it out this winter with dog walking, pub going to, post night ride faffing etc…

CountZero

If you say so. Great logo, but the prices are wildly out of most people’s reach. Which is probably why you see so many BBC people wearing their stuff on telly.
    Sure, the Jottnar isn’t cheap, but then I never paid full price anyway, but even at RRP it’s still £150 cheaper than an equivalent Arc’teryx, NF or RAB.
    For just chucking on when the weather’s a bit cool, I wear my Uniqlo down parka, cost me £60.

Alex

Just taken the Kilpi out on the dog walk. Still too warm for this type of jacket, but it’s lovely and light and definitely kept my core warm as I was standing in the wind waiting for the bloody labradors to finish hoovering up the rabbit poo in the field. This can take some time…

Hopefully get some cold weather to give it a proper test…

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Down/synthetic jacket recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.