Home Forums Chat Forum Double glazing replacement

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Double glazing replacement
  • mjsmke

Struggling to find a replacement double glazed unit for a wooden door. The writing on it says:

4-10-4 Alu 1002×557.

I’m guessing the 4 means the thickness of each pane, but does the 10 mean the gap between them or the total width, so a 2mm gap?

thelawman

10mm gap. So the overall thickness of the whole unit is 18mm.

bruneep

why not get a local glazer in to do it?

mjsmke

Messaged a few but no replies. Maybe it’s it’s illusion from the glass but it doesn’t look anywhere near 18mm thick.

midlifecrashes

Well if you’re going to swap it out, you’ll have to take it out sooner or later. Take the beads off so you can get at the edges and measure it properly.

boblo
    Free Member

Maybe it’s it’s illusion from the glass but it doesn’t look anywhere near 18mm thick.

The ally bar will be 10mm plus 2 x 4mm glass. Measure it if you’ve got it out. Or pop it out and measure it. The length x width is the hole minus 10mm. Really easy to DIY. Even I can do huge units up a ladder on the first floor windows… Don’t forget K and Argon for extra STW fancy pants points…

timba
    Free Member

And that the new unit complies with Building Regs Document K for safety glass https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/996860/Approved_Document_K.pdf page 31

bruneep

where are you getting the DG unit from, do they not offer a fitting/measuring service?

mjsmke

where are you getting the DG unit from, do they not offer a fitting/measuring service?

Not found a supplier yet. The ones I’ve seen have a delivery time of 3 weeks. And crazy expensive delivery.

midlifecrashes

Go local if you can, just walk into the trade counter and tell them what you think you want and tell them you’re a newbie diy-er and they will help you get what you need.

If you post your general location, someone will point you at a local glazier.

mjsmke

I’m near Tenterden in Kent.

Been quoted £200 plus Vat to supply and install.

stingmered

That seems entirely reasonable tbh, especially in yer paved with gold SE.

boblo
    Free Member

I just bought a K/Argon unit of a similar size for a bit less than £50 inc VAT (Cambs). If the OP’s unit is in a door, I’d expect it to need safety/toughened glass though which mine isn’t. Took me 10 minutes to fit up a ladder.

mjsmke

Where did you buy it from? Ive found a unit with toughened glass but delivery is silly money at £80. And in 3 weeks time.

boblo
    Free Member

Local glaziers. Nothing special, just a small local company.

oldnick

Anywhere that makes and supplies double glazing will have a trade counter to rock up to. Walk in with a photo of the label, a photo to show the pattern if there is one, and a photo of it fitted in the door.
    Needs to be toughened in a door, so will take slightly longer (glass has to be cut to size then heat treated before the unit can be assembled) but I usually get toughened units within a week. Units are surprisingly cheap too.
    Even the tradeiest trade counters will take your money, and fitting isn’t difficult. Take an old blanket to wrap it in when you collect it so it doesn’t damage your car seats or seat belts.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.