Home Forums Bike Forum Double Ardent 29 2.4 alternatives

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Double Ardent 29 2.4 alternatives
  • mrmrhill
    Free Member

Hello
    I’m looking at a new tyre combo. I’m not that gnar for full blown trail tyres but I’m too heavy for pure XC. I’m thinking double ardent, I’ve run one on the back for years and not had an issue. But am I missing something I ask the hive mind? There going on a hard tail so want some volume to take the sting out. Cheers in advance

tomhoward

Running them front and rear on my rigid carbon fat bike as a thin wheelset, obvs not as comfy as the fat wheels, but good for quick blasts. Wouldn’t use them through the winter, but a decent dry tyre.

scaredypants

I heard they chaged the tread a bit, but a good front alternative to the older ones (in places where you couldn’t really lay the bike over fully) was a buttered slick

tomhoward

Yeah, the 2.4 are a much more aggressive tread than the old 2.25s

merk
    Free Member

I use this combo on my Canyon Neuron. No complaints from me for riding in Spring / Summer.

They are certainly less susceptible to punctures than the Forekasters than I ran before.

jam-bo

Ardent 2.4 front, ikon 2.35 rear works well as a dry-ish combo.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Used double Ardents 2.4 for a couple of years a while back, can’t say I miss them. Not super fast rolling, very puncture prone, awful at corners, awful climbing traction.
    Currently using a Rekon at the front, its just miles better in every way

swanny853

I quite liked the 2.4 ardent. The rekon has, as far as I can tell, the same intent but does it better.

Get the 2.6 if your rims are wide enough.

I’d also say- if it’s dry enough for a rekon up front you can have something faster on the back. Rekon race, ikon or aspen. I like the 2.4 aspen.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m another who’d rather run a 2.4 Rekon than an Ardent. Rolls fast and grips surprisingly well, corners really nicely. Stick something faster on the back for dry, summer conditions – Ikon maybe, Rekon Race or Rock Razor – then in winter put the Rekon on the back and something grippier up front.

clubby

2.4 Ardent definitely better than 2.25 version but prefer a Rekon, especially up front. Also a fan of the Rekon/Ikon combo.

matt_outandabout

I’ve found that XR4’s or Goma’s offer just a tad more rolling resistance for a noticeable step up in grip.
    I used Ardent for years before, but wouldn’t go back now.

rstephenson
    Free Member

Another recommendation for xr4’s in 2.4 here. Great balance between grip, weight, volume and a good price too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Double Ardent 29 2.4 alternatives’ is closed to new replies.