Home Forums Bike Forum dolomites/ mtb/ singletrack

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • dolomites/ mtb/ singletrack
  • nobbyq
    Free Member

hi who’s ridden here , where to go for few days , prefer singletrack not dh bike park stuff , and will be camping ? thanks

bowglie

Been quite a few times, both climbing and mountain biking.  Selva Val Gardena is a pretty safe bet – couple of decent bike shops, tourist info have guidebook/maps of bike routes, and some of the lifts take bikes.  Goes without saying that there’s often a fair old chunk of riding uphill on the XC/trail routes.  Trail access can be an issue in the Dolomites (lots of German and Austrian ramblers y’see).  It’s much better than it was, but definitely best to stick to set routes, or better still, hire a local guide through the tourist office – they know all the best bits of cheeky singletrack trails.

If you do go to the Selva or ‘Sella’ mountain area, I can strongly recommend hiring a guide and doing the ‘Sella Ronda’. There are different variations of the route, but all involve riding a massive circuit around the Sella Massif.  I did the ‘gravity enduro’ option (on my regular old trail bike) and it was a stunning full day out – about 950m pedalling uphill, 7 gondola/chairlifts and 4500m descending! I think it was 70 euro for the guide, but that included all the lift tickets that, if bought without guide discount, would have been about 58 euro!

We’ve never camped in the valley, but sure there are sites (maybe more nearer a town called Ortisei, which is just down the valley from Selva).

HTH

professor_fate
    Free Member

Base yourself in Cortina, there’s a couple of campsites there although i’ve always stayed in the Olympia a few km’s north of town (really great value and decent facilities). Then buy a topo map and ride the paths in the surrounding area – they’re generally very quiet and i’ve never been shouted at…

Tracey

We have just come back from a week in Canazei. Plenty of riding to be done from the lifts. Stopped at the Marmolada camp site which was good and central

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘dolomites/ mtb/ singletrack’ is closed to new replies.