Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Do you want to allow singletrackworld.com to use up to 5.6 GB of storage?
  • easily
    Free Member

I think I know the answer to this one.

Why on earth would STW be wanting 5.6 GB of my storage? Is it a way of saving money by using readers PCs, or is it where the staff hide their ‘gentleman’s special interest’ files?

DickBarton

If it was the second then I’ve no real issues if it is normal special interest stuff – but they haven’t told me how I can access it, so I’m not keen on sharing if I don’t get to see the shared stuff.

Saying that, I’m not sure how ‘normal’ 90s MTB kit is…but that is what I’m hoping would be stored…

moimoifan
    Free Member

I do get the impression that STW has fallen victim to someone who swears blind that this is the way to operate a website/forum and everyone else is wrong.

A bit like Redbeard Rum in Blackadder.

Blackadder: I thought it was common maritime practice for ships to have a crew.

Rum: Opinion is divided on the matter.

Blackadder: Is it?

Rum: Yes. All the other captains say it is. I says it isn’t.

🤦‍♂️

thebunk

I’ve seen a few people mention this but never experienced it myself. What OS & browser are you using?

I don’t suppose you’re running some kind of STW browser extension are you? When I wrote the killfile extension years ago that used local storage, and I know the usage rules on that has changed a fair bit since then.

timbo46
    Free Member

Just started doing that on my mac, 7gb of storage using Safari

Mark

First thing. We are not downloading gbs of date to your browser.
    There’s a bug in the webkit software in Safari that miscalculates things. There’s more here… https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/safari-website-wants-to-use-over-1gb-storage.2232083/

jam-bo

This is the only website I’ve ever experienced that message.

I said no, nothing bad happened.

swdan
    Free Member

Chrome on Android says STW is storing 1.3gb on my phone, far and away more than any other website

BoardinBob

1.4Gb on my Pixel 6🤔

bails

1.7GB on my pixel 7. Cleared everything out, opened the forum and one page of one thread and it’s back up to 467MB.
    Edit: and posting this reply has knocked it up to 600MB

scruff9252

Mark, sorry but I think you are off the mark here. Fr<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>om my safari settings; </span>

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>singletrack 2.9GB</span>

Second largest site on list of storage 18Mb.

It seems either the issue in Safari is limited only to STW. But probably not worth getting busy with on a Friday evening.

scruff9252

Oh Mark – when you have your IT boffins working on Monday, can you get them to fix the random code getting butchered into the comments randomly. Ta.

sirromj

STW using 34mb running Firefox/Fedora Linux. Solution: install Linux. HTH.

bikesandboots

There have been a couple of threads on this over the past few months.

When I checked mine it was something like 1GB of service worker cache, by the workbox service worker, possibly not set up right.

rickmeister

On a Mac, using Chrome… where to look and check please….

bobodaclown

Pixel 7pro here, just check 761mb stored data more than 3x the next closest of AliExpress…

Just cleared all for now

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I get that message on my iPad but I don’t think I’ve seen it on the laptop. One thing that does happen on the laptop though is that if I’m watching YouTube on one screen and I then go to Singletrack in another window YouTube often grinds to a halt until I switch away from singletrack.

petec
    Free Member

Using Android 12, Singletrack usung 420Mb. Next largest using 25mb.

w00dster

I’m getting this error now on my iPhone running safari. Every new page I get a dialogue box asking me if STW can use 1.4gb of storage. No other websites are asking the same question.

tagnut69
    Free Member

How can I find out if or how much?

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Single-track is using 340 mb in Brave on my phone. But Argos is using 1.1.gb?!

w00dster

Closed my browser down and re-opened no longer getting the message.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Can I just ask again on behalf of everyone else that has already done so:

How can I find out if or how much?

bikesandboots

In Chrome, click on the padlock to the left of the URL in the address bar, then choose Site Settings. A new tab will open, at the top it says Usage.

swdan
    Free Member

Chrome on Android.

Three dots button
    Settings
    Site settings
    Data stored

scruff
    Free Member

Stw 611mb, Pinkbike 0.5mb.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

678mb storage on my pixel 7 using Chrome browser.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

641MB on Chrome just cleared.

kerley
    Free Member

923MB on Safari

swdan
    Free Member

Can anyone who knows about this stuff explain what it is it’s storing? Is it images etc to enable faster loading?

northernsoul

89mb on safari on my iPhone, running latest version. I only look at the forum on my phone and not the other parts of the site, plus I tend to skip threads with lots of YouTube content – I wonder if that’s the reason for the difference.

moimoifan
    Free Member

1.3GB here – just cleared.

No idea what it is or why, but knew it would be STW at the top of the list. 🤷‍♂️

Drac

Appeared on my iPad yesterday, I said no and got on with my day.

swdan
    Free Member

I think there is a difference with the pop up and the actual storage figures and they are actually two different issues.
    The pop up is apparently due to an error as per the link Mark posted. Think that’s an apple thing.

The storage values being quoted are different as they would imply that’s how much storage the site is actually using instead just asking if we mind.

Still not sure why it’s storing that much data on my phone

DickBarton

750mb, largest by far but I think I’ve had my pixel 6 for almost a year and haven’t cleared it…

moimoifan
    Free Member

Still not sure why it’s storing that much data on my phone

Quite.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

810mb for STW
    0.5mb for Facebook
    17kb for BBC
    0.5kb for UK hillwalking
    21kb for Walkhighlands

@mark
    WTF is going on?

simondbarnes

1.3GB on my android phone, 722MB on chrome on my chromebook

somafunk

Has stw recently changed its cookie policy, I ask as I’ve just had to “accept/deny/choose” on iPhone and there’s **** hundreds of the things that need individually deselected, no wonder it’s using so much space

Drac

26mb on my phone

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.