Home Forums Chat Forum Do we have any good football club names in the UK.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Do we have any good football club names in the UK.
  • joshvegas
    Free Member

When you have names in Europe football like Dynamo, Rapid and locomotive…

Bolton Wanderers sounds a bit lacklustre dunnit.

A bit “turn up and have a mooch about”

chambord

Nottingham Forest

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We have the best football club name in the world – Leeds United. What more do you want?

joshvegas
    Free Member

United is the worst!

I’d hope you were united, or you’d be **** useless.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I’d hope you were united, or you’d be **** useless.

United after a teams name, refers to the merger of 2 clubs to form a new one. Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End merger in 1892 to become “United”.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I know but it’s still not a great name.

Equivalent of Merged Manchester.

donald
    Free Member

Matthew 12.42 “The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.”

and also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Midlothian_(Royal_Mile)

scotroutes

I guess there are very few that don’t give some idea as to where the stadium is located. Celtic and Rangers obviously to mind. I don’t think anyone ever says Glasgow Rangers, although maybe they do in other countries?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Pretty sure that the Doonhamers are named after Dumfries being “queen of the south”

I will give you a half point because at least it’s a bit different.

sadexpunk

accrington stanley.

ransos
    Free Member

I guess there are very few that don’t give some idea as to where the stadium is located

Arsenal and Port Vale in the English leagues, quite a few in Scotland. Celtic, Rangers, Queen of the South, Raith Rovers, Hibs etc.

Then there are the misleading ones. West Ham’s old ground was actually in Upton Park, and the new one is in Stratford. They haven’t played in West Ham since 1904.

Keva
    Free Member

Surely it’s Blackburn Rovers?

Best one I heard is a team from Peru

Deportivo Wanka is a Peruvian football club, based in the city of Huancayo in the Peruvian Andes.

It was founded in 1969 and is named after the Wankas people…

tomhoward

accrington stanley

who are they?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Actually Ransos.

Arsenal is a good one suggest mighty weapons to hand.

kayak23

accrington stanley

who are they?

Exactly!

teenrat

Sheffield United, the original and oldest united, was formed from Sheffield United cricket club, which itself was formed through the merger of local cricket clubs.

The most original name in English football is possibly Port Vale, who aren’t actually named after a place, but the valley of ports.

South Africa has some cracking football team names.

ElShalimo

we used to have Colne Dynamos

We still have some good ones:

Tonbridge Angels

Sheffield Wednesday

Inverurie Loco Works

Trethomas Bluebirds

dogthomson

Preston North End?

Was always particularly pleased with our 5-a-side team’s name; Real Ale Madrid!

gordimhor

Two good names in Edinburgh or possibly three. Heart of Midlothian, note that it is not Hearts. Spartans who play in Scottish league two. Finally there is Hibernian whose supporters may well consider themselves to be in Leith. Pity there’s not a decent team between them. Don’t blame me I support Celtic.

gallowayboy

Scottish lower leagues are full of them. Whitehall Welfare, Gala Fairydean (with listed brutalist stand) and of course, St Cuthbert Wanderers.

joshvegas
    Free Member

we used to have Colne Dynamos

We still have some good ones:

Tonbridge Angels

Sheffield Wednesday

Inverurie Loco Works

Trethomas Bluebirds

This guy gets it.

ElShalimo

I used to run the company Fantasy Football League 25 years ago. One of my funnier colleagues called his team “Your sister’s Athletic

joshvegas
    Free Member

Inter ya gran being another classic.

scotroutes

Fortes Mechanics?

There’s quite a funny joke about Rangers playing them after their resurrection.

tomhoward

Leeds United. What more do you want?

The addition of ‘Red Bull’ somewhere in the name.

BoardinBob

Obi Wan Kenobi Nil was my fantasy football team

ElShalimo

The Eastern bloc footy names usually came from institutions – Dinamo (govt party types), CSKA (army), Torpedo (factory workers), Spartak (unions)

teenrat

Not name related, but I really hope at some point, someone gets to read out Forfar 5 East Fife 4.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Crystal Palace is a bit weird if you don’t understand the reference to the Great Exhibition or the location that got named after it.  Sounds more like the name of a take away.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Not name related, but I really hope at some point, someone gets to read out Forfar 5 East Fife 4.

As I recall that happened a few decades ago and it made the national news.  Or perhaps the other way round.

binners

kormoran
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone ever says Glasgow Rangers, although maybe they do in other countries?

Many years ago we landed in Tokyo, passport guy took one look at our documents, smiled then shouted “Gasgo Waingers!” In a way only a Japanese man could. Much laughing and hand shaking followed.

bruk

Lots of good ones off you go looking in lower leagues.

My favourite would be Inverness Caledonian Thistle. If only for the famous newspaper headline ‘Super Caley go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious”

fasgadh
    Free Member

Whitehill Welfare

Bonnyrigg Rose

Ormiston Primrose

Civil Service Strollers

Forres Mechanics

Sadly both Glenbuck, the village and home of the Shankly brothers, and its team Glenbuck Cherrypickers are no longer with us.

And as the Fall once said*. We’re not Gala Fairydean, We are Spartans FC

*almost.

teenrat

As I recall that happened a few decades ago and it made the national news.  Or perhaps the other way round.

You are right, it happened in 2018! I missed that.

fazzini

Spartans

tomhoward

Was always particularly pleased with our 5-a-side team’s name

Mate at Uni played for Inter Yer Mam.

ransos
    Free Member

Hamilton Academical. The only league club to have come from a school team.

kormoran
    Free Member

PVC Leidehosen, worth setting up a team just for a cheap laugh

StirlingCrispin

Burntisland Shipyard FC.

One year Stirling Albion will draw them in the Scottish Cup and I can justify an away day,

Also used to say to the boys that we’d follow The Binos all the way to Hampden but we never did draw Queens Park away.

Dukla Prague was a Czech army team. Their kit was not featured by Subbuteo but Stirling Albion’s was – as Arsenal.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.