Home Forums Chat Forum Do I need planning permission?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Do I need planning permission?
  • teenrat

garden

Right, I’m having a garden re vamp. Old shed has gone on from the above paved area, to hopefully be replaced with an undercover seating area.

Plan is a single sloping roof (wooden) that slopes up from the back wall. Back height would be 6ft upto 7 ft where current wooden railings are. An area of roughly 9ft x 9ft. Each corner will be a 4 inch post with the side next to next doors messy garden comprising of featherboard. The other two sides will be open. The current slabbed area is currently approx 1m above next door garden level.

Do I need planning permission for such a structure?
    gsrden2

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d say it would be classed as an outbuilding. The limitations will probably be the 2.5m max eaves height. That is taken from the highest adjacent ground which might be a bit hard to define with that raised paved area. The other is if you actually have permitted development rights. You might not if it is a new build estate and you won’t if it is listed or a national park.

Rules are here: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/outbuildings/planning-permission

Either way that is the sort of structure I wouldn’t be too worried about unless you have nosey and annoying neighbours. It would be very unlikely to attract enforcement from the council

kelvin

How far in from the boundary with your neighbour would the 2m+ part of the wall be?

teenrat

How far in from the boundary with your neighbour would the 2m+ part of the wall be?

The 6ft to 7ft featherboard side would effectively be the boundary fence.

Either way that is the sort of structure I wouldn’t be too worried about unless you have nosey and annoying neighbours

This is one of the reasons for my initial question

creakingdoor
    Free Member

I see your neighbour is fully on-board with No Mow May 😒

martinhutch

Are you digging out the patio area, or putting it up on top of it?

teenrat

I see your neighbour is fully on-board with No Mow May

Its a permanent no mow. The reason why I’m trying to block out views to their garden as much as I can. The rest of the fence will be replaced with a 6ft one

teenrat

Structure will be on top of the patio. Another thing to add is where I’m taking the photo from is 1m higher than the patio ( the same height as behind the neighbours house). The various levels is what’s causing me the headache!

nickjb
    Free Member

If there is higher ground nearby then it should be fine. If you were building on top of a fully raised area then it is a concern but if it is raised one side and level the other then you can measure from the level side. That should give you enough height to play with (2.5m to eaves, 3m to top).

Your council should have its own guide but here is an example:
    2.10 As defined in article 1(3) of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted
    Development) Order 1995, height is measured from ground level – “Ground level
    means the level of the surface of the ground immediately adjacent to the building in
    question, or where the ground is not uniform, the level of the highest part of the
    surface of the ground adjacent to it”.

https://www.npt.gov.uk/PDF/permitted_development_for_householders_technical_guidance.pdf

onehundredthidiot

Could you featherboard at a level to effectively create a fence?

nickjb
    Free Member

Could you featherboard at a level to effectively create a fence?

You can build a shed higher than you can build a fence without planning permission.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Do I need planning permission?’ is closed to new replies.