Home Forums Bike Forum Digital mapping on the bike

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Digital mapping on the bike
  • nickjb
    Free Member

What are people using for off road digital mapping? I normally use a phone for bigger rides and just take it out every so often. That is a bit of a faff so I’ve been experimenting with it paired to a smart watch. It’s not quite all I hoped for. The watch isn’t that new and it’s a bit slow to respond. Toying with some alternatives. A Garmin might be an option but moving the map on the 530 sounds clunky. Maybe an old smart phone on the bars but it would need to be small and ideally a bit moisture proof. Unihertz Atom looks great but seems a waste to buy a new phone. Is there an old phone that might do? Anything else?

scotroutes

Garmin Oregon

nuke

I just use a Moto G7 Power (Big battery so lasts ages even with screen lock/saver turned off), OS Maps app with downloaded maps (bought physical maps 1:25k then got download code…maps arent device specific so go on any phone I log in on) & Decathlon smartphone holder attached to bike stem ( https://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-l-smartphone-holder-id_8555369.html )….use the app to put a route together and off I go with a decent size screen to view right on the bars, its changed my cycling and there’s no monthly costs like with the subscription version just the odd extra map every now and then. Use it for hiking routes too,

Stablebarns
    Free Member

I used an iPhone with the trai forks app the other day. It was great. Just got to get the right mounting device. I reckon an iPhone 4 or some such would be a good size and cheap.

I tried using a few apps for road riding and was just appalled at how over complex it all is. I just like to find routes and follow them with a decent map display.

Strava, komoot, iMap my ride blaaaaah. Ended up with google maps. But can’t upload routes.

Off road with trail forks is soooo much better. There are peoples routes all over the gaff. Easy to follow. In built maps. Great. IMO

nickjb
    Free Member

Thought I’d update this.

I found an interestingly named Cubot King Kong Mini phone. It is ruggedised and apperently waterproof, although not officially. Only £90 new, but I found a very lightly used one for £55 so took a punt.

Seems very good so far. The screen is easily readable in bright sunlight. The touchscreen works well with one of my pairs of gloves, but not the other, might add some of that conductive thread. I was a bit worried about battery life but in flight mode, just using preloaded maps and GPS, it dropped about 12% in two hours. I may use it with a sim for more map options but so far with viewranger and trailforks it has been good. Obviously being Android there are lots of options.

I’ve made a quick bracket. Its easy to use and read here but it seems a bit exposed so I might make one that tucks it out the way a bit.

Hard to get the scale but it is pretty compact. Might actually be a good phone if you want something small

darkroomtim
    Free Member

Similar to what @nuke says – G7 power running OS maps on a quad lock – masses of battery power – only small issue is you have to keep looking down if you’re following a non obvious path – I also use a Wahoo which just gives you a simple breadcrumb but with audio warnings if you’re straying offline. For road rides I use the G7 running Kamoot for super nice turn by turn nav

stayhigh

Now as it happens I’d just been looking at the Cubot King Kong as a bigger screen alternative to my Garmin 820. My watch does the activity tracking so the 820 feels a little redundant just for mapping and as already alluded to the screen is rather small.

@nickjb
    What have you used for mount as that seems to be where the plan currently falls down. Unless of course I Gorilla glue an old Garmin mount on the back…

kcr
    Free Member

I use a Garmin Dakota (a bit like the Oregon mentioned above, but lower spec).
    It runs on AAs, so great for long days. It will do 12 hours+ on rechargeables and easily get over 24 hours from lithium AAs. Easy to carry spares for multi day tours. Old school resistive screen, so you have to press it properly, but it works with gloves. Tough as old boots, and I can confirm you can bounce it down the road or drop it in a canal without any problems. It is big and bulky by the standards of more modern rechargeable bike specific GPS, so not suitable if bicycle aesthetics is a priority, but that doesn’t bother me.

nickjb
    Free Member

What have you used for mount as that seems to be where the plan currently falls down.

I made it, but there are plenty of adjustable mounts for phones on eBay and Amazon

darkroomtim
    Free Member

I use a quad-lock to attach phone to stem and so far seems very good – rock solid

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Digital mapping on the bike’ is closed to new replies.