Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Dead Starlings…
  • Kryton57

So this is quite sad, and very odd;

http://news.sky.com/story/mystery-as-hundreds-of-birds-found-dead-in-road-in-wales-11883847

What could cause that?

13thfloormonk

Some mouth-breather scattering poisoned feed then chucking any carcasses off their land onto the road?

Can’t imagine why anyone would want to kill Starlings though, and as cover ups go it wouldn’t be a very good one, but when wildlife crime is concerned never under estimate people’s ability to stoop to new lows…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brexit.

scotroutes

Their third album was a let-down.

oldtennisshoes

Murmuration struck by lightning would be my guess.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Brexit.

He said Dead Starlings, not Dead Sterling..

Pyro

If it was crows I’d have said hit by trucks or vans. They’ve been shown to post a lookout to warn the other crows of approaching vehicles, which is really effective when it’s a car but they have difficulty pronouncing ‘truck’…

I’ll get me coat.

senorj

End of the world is coming.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

It’s weird as it was only an hour between them being in the sky and dead on the floor. If it was poison you wouldn’t expect so many in one go and all fall on the same bit of road. If you had killed them by poison they would most likely die in fields and why would you bother picking them all up and putting them on the toad?

Very odd.

matt_outandabout

Murmuration struck by lightning would be my guess.

I had a similar thought.

I too would have thought that poisoning would mean they were more spread out.

revs1972
    Free Member

Was it the annoying devil from Balls of Steel up to his tricks again ?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Perhaps a murmuration was targeted by a raptor and some of them crashed into the ground in a panicked bid to escape.

edhornby

sonic boom from an RAF valley jet right by them ? very unlikely, just a guess…

mrchrispy

as illegal immigrants uk boarder force took them out as part of the latest hostile environment policy v2

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Was Boris’ rotten carcass driven along the road on an open trailor?

Does seem rather odd, hopefully nothing sinister comes back as the cause.

tillydog
    Free Member

Birds were seen eating something on the road shortly before the dead starlings were discovered.

Police say: “We believe we may have the reason now…but we are awaiting the toxicology and post mortem results before releasing it.”

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/police-think-now-know-what-17404520

taxi25
    Free Member

sonic boom from an RAF valley jet right by them ? very unlikely, just a guess…

That was my guess, but concentrated in to small an area to have fallen from the sky.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Birds were seen eating something on the road shortly before the dead starlings were discovered.

Salt from the gritter ???

tewit
    Free Member

I’m sure the investigating copper being on R4 today said that it happened years ago in the same spot. Strange.

tillydog
    Free Member

Salt from the gritter ???

My guess would be some sort of spilled seed (quiet at the back! I mean something like winter wheat) that had been treated with a fungicide or similar – one that kills starlings quite quickly.

project
    Free Member

Traffic copper i knew had been on a Chemical Biological Nuclear awareness course, and was told , if you see lots of dead birds or people lying on the ground, get out of there fast, as it could be a dangerous situation, asked why it was traffic police, he said because we have fast cars to get away fast and report back from a safe distance.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve witnessed something like this in Spain in the 70s.
    The streets, hotels and pools were covered in dead starlings.

tillydog
    Free Member
    maccruiskeen

It seems they died from “impact with the ground”

I’m sure the investigating copper being on R4 today said that it happened years ago in the same spot. Strange

If its happened before in the same spot then some sort of light/reflection/dazzling thing maybe makes sense – the way the murmerartions work is the birds are all following each other  – I guess its only the ones at the front that need to be confused and all the rest will follow them

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Dead Starlings…’ is closed to new replies.