Home Forums Chat Forum Dark Sky alternative

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Dark Sky alternative
  • Caher

It seems those nice people at Apple are going kill off the Dark Sky weather app for Android users. Perhaps one of my favourite apps.
    Anyone got a recommendation for an alternative?

lewzz10
    Free Member

It seems those nice people at Apple are going kill off the Dark Sky weather app for Android users.

Why should they be obliged to keep a free service going for people who aren’t their customers?

Caher

I paid for it.

701arvn
    Free Member

I may have enjoyed that as much as the OP

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Weather Underground app and https://www.wunderground.com/ website isn’t bad for real-time station readings, there’s the odd outlier station, but usually they stand out a mile.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Burned!

I also paid for it. 2.5 months to go, I’m a bit pissed off.

kcal

I think active (Android) users get a refund.

lewzz10
    Free Member

I paid for it.

Ouch! But it’s a subscription on Android, correct? In which case you have paid for your past usage and aren’t really obliged to continue if they don’t want you to?

Caher

Indeed and whatever part of the subscription will be refunded to me. That is why I am looking for an alternative – and I am certainly not going to buy an Apple phone.

DrJ

Yr (Norwegian service) is usually as accurate as any. Also WeatherPro.

GTDave
    Free Member

Try “Hello Weather”. It has a similar look and feel to DarkSky, and allows you to select which weather data source to use.

CountZero

WeatherProHD is one I’ve been using since it came out, ten years or so ago, MeteoGroup who are the people behind it also supply weather data to the BBC. It’s different to Dark Skies, which I’ve also got, and better in some ways; their satellite view and precipitation radar are a bit better, I think, but that’s a personal view. Subscription provides an hourly forecast.
    Ive never used Apple’s weather app, but if it basically adopts all of Dark Skies features then I might use it alongside WeatherProHD.

tinribz
    Free Member

That wunderground is fantastic.

jimdubleyou

I use accuweather and Dark Sky.

Accuweather minutecast is pretty good, maybe not quite as good as Dark Sky

jam-bo

Windy

bear-uk
    Free Member

Also use windy. Rain alarm gives live radar alerts and XC weather seems to work ok with a few choices of data measurments.

CountZero

Windy is good, and quite customisable, there’s a large number of layers, and if you register you can set favourite locations for email alerts. When you zoom in the map gets very detailed, down to house level.

nicko74

Weather Underground is good *if* you’re well served with stations round your way. For the most part I found it pretty good, but then started getting really odd readings, where people had clearly left their weather station in the porch, where it was 35C, sunny and had no wind. Meanwhile I’m riding through a gale with sideways rain outside…

Scapegoat

I tend to use Accuweather. It has proved itself pretty accurate.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

The Weather Channel is a very good weather app. As detailed as you want.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I find “windows” are an accurate representation of the current weather in my location.

WTForecast is quite good if you’re on Android. Assume it’s on apple too.

jam-bo

best bit about windy is that it lets you easily switch and compare a number of different model forecasts for the same location rather than relying on a single model like most apps.

there plenty of occasions where all five models it has disagree.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Dark Sky alternative’ is closed to new replies.