Home Forums Bike Forum cytech level two assessment

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • cytech level two assessment
  • flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Does anyone have any details on the fast track assessment for the cytech level two qualification?

I'm a pretty good mechanic and I think I can do what they're after – but have only seen a couple of very short bullet point lists of what's required – e.g.

Set-up and fault finding on cycle systems
    Gears, including front and rear mechs, shifters, chain, cassette, chainset and bottom bracket
    Brakes, cable and general hydraulic brake information
    Basic Wheelbuilding
    Headsets
    Hubs
    Pedals
    Saddles

Also, do you have to do level 1 first? Which seems like stuff I might not be so confident at knowing – BSI's in preparing a bike for delivery to the customer and so on.

I'm aware that I run a fleet of hire bikes that I'm confident are in tip top condition, but if something were to happen to someone whilst riding one they could blame / sue me – I wouldn't have a leg to stand on with no formal qualifications saying that I know what I'm doing!

I'll probably call the trainers tomorrow – bit late now 🙂

cheers
    Guy

coatesy
    Free Member

We went straight into the assessment, no need for level 1 first. The assessor will be able to use his judgement to decide exactly what is required of you on the day(i.e. required to set up a V-braked bike, but only disc equipped available).
    We had to strip a complete bike to it's component parts(inc. rear hub strip), chase and face the frame correctly, and rebuild/set up/test, and build a rear wheel from scratch inc. tension and true.No time limits were set, the focus being on getting the job done properly.
    The theory exam is a multiple choice, most answers are common sense, but even so,not always the most obvious choice(also worth remembering they apply to ALL bikes, not just adult mountain bikes).
    If you've been working on bikes, with an eye towards safety, you should be fine.

mocha
    Free Member

what he said…strip and rebuild bike, wheel build and multiple choice 'exam'

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

sounds doable to me. cheers for the answers.

should I swat up on torque measurements and so on?

I guess I should also practice wheel building a bit more… with a proper spoke tension calculator etc. Last wheel I built has survived a summer under me on my hard tail in the alps… can't be bad!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘cytech level two assessment’ is closed to new replies.