Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • CTC on a singlespeed – anyone done it?
  • oxnop
    Free Member

I’m doing the CTC (Keswick(ish) to Sunderland) in June with some work friends.. I have recently bought a singlespeed for winter and quite fancy doing it on my new acquisition.

The group will be of mixed ability with my GF and I being by far the most ‘into’ cycling. I have been out on my SS (currently running 32:16) 3 times (dont take the mick) now and don’t feel like it holds me back at all even thought I live and ride in Calderdale / west yorks which is particularly rugged. My longest ride has been around Hebden which was approx 19miles and included lots of climbing and some roads.

I’d be happy to take with me a 18t sprocket too to swap between dependent upon the day (if it’s needed) it’s just I don’t fancy doing it on my roadbike or Blur LTc plus I quite fancy the challenge. 😀

What do you guys/gals think? Do’able?

Me
    Free Member

Yes, did Whitehaven-Sunderland leading a (geared) group on a charity run.

I used 32:16 but you’ll wish for a higher gear for the last 30 miles- all gently downward sloping railway line.

But yeah, it was good. Forces you to pootle and enjoy the scenery but lets you feel the hills too. Hartside and coming out of Garrigill- you push, you lose 😉

Flash
    Free Member

Of course it is:

42:16 with very occasional pushing, on the Sustrans CTC finishing in Tynemouth. Sunderland is a much better end to the trip though.

oxnop
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, ill prob end up taking a 14T sprocket for the final day then 😆

Flash – Nice pic! You must be hardcore doing it on a 42:16 fixie!!

EDIT – not a fixie, just an odd brake location!!

Whyte1
    Free Member

WHY ❓ if your lucky you’ll be in the right gear for 5% of the ride

Go the whole hog and do it on a BMX 💡

Ringo
    Free Member

I did it last year on 32:20 29er st bees to robin hoods bay really enjoyed it

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘CTC on a singlespeed – anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.