Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • CrossCountry trains 1st class service, UTTERLY SH#TE!
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I’m currently enduring a 1st class carriage between Bristol and Leeds on CrossCountry.

The pic below is the 1st class toilet, since we left Bristol 1 hour 40mins ago we’ve seen a young lad in suit that’s too big for him with a few bottles of water and cold coffee; he’s now sat on the floor of the guard carriage doing sweet FA.

Is this the norm for CrossCountry?

twoniner
    Free Member

Worth paying the extra for 🙄

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

The saving grace is work paid for the ticket, if it was my money I’d be bouncing off the walls by now

scaredypants

Oh, dear God – is the fizz warm, too ? 😯

dabble
    Free Member

Don’t the people in first class know how to use a toilet? Or do they expect Jeeves to clean up after them?
    You can’t buy manners/ class etc etc…

Edit- on the plus side, I can’t see any sh!te.

lapierrelady

No such thing as first class on cross country. All they do is put headrest covers on a normal carriage and increase the fare x3. East Coast first class on the other, that’s a great service

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

There is no fizz, there is no service full stop.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

East Coast is what I’ve used before, guess I’ve been spoilt.

molgrips
    Free Member

It was pretty good when I went on XC first class. Not as good as FGW but still good. Some of their trains just have a few slightly bigger seats, but some others have proper first class.

As for the toilet – is the guard supposed to be a cleaner? Someone could have just done that. If I were a guard I don’t think I’d want to clean the bogs tbh.

jekkyl

didn’t someone come and tuck you in before your snooze?

project
    Free Member

It doesnt matter who is paying for the ticket to travel, you expect staff, to be available to remedy the situation, and to provide drinks on a long journey, also the toilet should be locked out of use, until its made servicable.

Make contact with the so called train manager and make a formal complaint.

timc
    Free Member

Welcome to the real world soft lad 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

I got offered a meal when I was on XC first. I’d already eaten on the previous journey leg though 🙂

Dales_rider
    Free Member

It doesnt matter who is paying for the ticket to travel, you expect staff, to be available to remedy the situation,

The staff probably expect the customer to act like an adult and not like a chimp when it comes to using the toilet. The guy who has been doing the drinks, good idea get him to clean the toilet then serve someone. Reality is the guy who can do anything about probably doesnt know you left it in that state.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I’ve just emailed customer complaints

Good evening

I’m writing this letter from the 1st class carriage of the 17.30 from Bristol Temple Meads to Leeds.

In the 2 hours since we left Bristol we have seen the ‘hostess’, I use the term loosely as it’s a very young man with a poor Movember moustache and an ill fitting suit, once when he offered us a small cup of coffee and some biscuits, the sort of complimentary items you get in a Travel Lodge.

He is currently sat on the floor of the guard carriage.

I’ve also taken a trip to the nearest bathroom, via the standard class carriage, as the 1st class toilet had a hand written note informing me it was out of order, the picture below shows what I found.

All I can do is find humour in this whole sorry journey but frankly it’s quite shameful.

I’ve also attached pictures of my tickets so you’re certain this isn’t a wind up, which interestingly have been checked by 3 separate inspectors, glad to see you’re so thorough in checking we’ve paid for the service we are not receiving.

Sent from my iPad

tpbiker
    Free Member

i’m currently in first class on the East Coast service. Plenty of coffee, unlimited cakes and a clean shitter…can’t complain

On the way down they even threw in a really hot eastern European lady called Rita to hand out the complimentary breakfast, but unfortunately shes not around today 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Meanwhile somewhere overseas thousands of people are buried in mass graves.

ryderredman
    Free Member

Phwoar I like the sound of Rita

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Your point Hora? Is that why the train’s short staffed?

ryderredman
    Free Member

Is he referring to what happens to those who moan about their dictators glorious train services?

njee20
    Free Member

I’m currently in first on a Virgin West Coast service, and it’s been great.

The biggest problem with first class on the XC Voyagers is they stink of the toilets, very unpleasant! Pretty surprised you actually saw fit to complain. You strike me as ‘one of those people’.

project
    Free Member

Virgin are currently with the trains owners upgrading the toilets so they dont smell, according to the railway press.
    oh and theyre going to have talking doors to tell customers to lock the door when using the bog

easier just to take the doors off, if people are stupid enough not to lock the door.

project
    Free Member

Njee20, also be sure the driver knows that when entering a bay platform, (dead end) 2 sets of red lights and the booking office and a bike rack in front of them, he knows how to apply the brake.

one driver today didnt and demolished the buffer stop, and a bike rack complete with bike, at Chester.

njee20
    Free Member

Virgin are currently with the trains owners upgrading the toilets so they dont smell, according to the railway press.

Virgin don’t have many Voyagers left anyway, only the Holyhead services and a few WCML ones. Not such a problem on Pendolinos. Arriva acquired most of the stinky Voyagers with the XC franchise.

Njee20, also be sure the driver knows that when entering a bay platform, (dead end) 2 sets of red lights and the booking office and a bike rack in front of them, he knows how to apply the brake

Not at all worrying…

Drac

Oh! Just booked a ticket back from Leeds in a few weeks time with them, ah well it was only £5 more than 2nd class and the free drinks will come in handy.

project
    Free Member

They have one less voyager now as it hit the buffers at chester today. London Holyhead route. one also hit the buffer stop at Liverpool lime street a while ago as well.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

yeh yeh, okay,….can we get back to this Rita chic! 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

1st Uncultured class … 😆

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Njee20, why would I be ‘one of those people’ for thinking there’s something wrong with not getting the service you’ve paid for?

Given I was up at 4am to go to Bristol and figured a 1st class return journey would be a more relaxing, fed and watered, end to a long day should I not be pissed off that I actually got a pretty crap service? You strike me as ‘one of those people’ who likes to troll on forums but is actually a bit of a non event in real life.

geoffj

CX First class is miserable – slightly worse than the old virgin voyager 1st class service.
    The pendolino 1st class is usually excellent, and slightly better than the East Coast equivalent – although I prefer the east coast mallard rolling stock – nicer seats.
    If you want ropey 1st class service , you should try one of the scotrail Aberdeen to Glasgae services full of returning off shore oil men. Cans of special brew at 8:30 on the morning anyone?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Only ever been cross country first class once London to Birmingham it was ok… I use East Mids trains to London first class quite a bit they are ok apart from the one time that there were loads of knobs who looked like they were from the apprentice. East Coast is my favourite service even if there trains are a bit older.

London Midlands is shite though….

chewkw
    Free Member

Looks like you have been taken for a ride.

They should simply advertise it as other class rather than 1st class. Not worth the money IMO.

😮

sobriety
    Free Member

I got offered a meal when I was on XC first. I’d already eaten on the previous journey leg though

You should’ve taken it and had it for lunch the next day 😉

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

This is the best 1st class experience I have had, London to Cornwall. Proper Silver service dining.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Your-journey/On-board/Pullman

molgrips
    Free Member

You should’ve taken it and had it for lunch the next day

Good one 🙂

woody21
    Free Member

Have you had a reply yet? I use EMT and have never had any complaints, except when the WiFi was down

Link to the Chester mishap

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=109002314

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Just an automatic reply so far, if it goes anywhere I’ll let you know.

I’ve never travelled anywhere first class. Feeling out of my depth on this forum of big hitters.

hora
    Free Member

Ok my two-pence worth. I travelled Virgin 1st class last week (at my expense). Yes the toilets are/were shit. They always are. Its a train that others wander into and they can’t check them after every person has been in – literally it could have been the person before you.

Get over it. What are you looking for? What resolution do you want? Weird as you didn’t even pay for the ticket so are at no loss.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘CrossCountry trains 1st class service, UTTERLY SH#TE!’ is closed to new replies.